Have a question for members.

White Fox

Please let us know your thoughts on post counts.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Please let us know your thoughts on post counts.

• I find post counts to be very interesting. I watch them, and think the site would be lacking something if they were not there. I would be quite disappointed if we did not use them here.
    • I like to see post counts, as I find them interesting. On the other hand I would not be upset if they were not available.
    • Post Counts? Why are you asking ME about this crap! I don't give a dam either way. Let's get on with important stuff. Like that new white fox coat I've always wanted!
    • I tend to dislike them, but they do not bother me a whole lot. I would probably prefer the site not use them, but I am not upset either way.
    • I hate those damed things. If you would get rid of those it would make me so damned happy. You would see a huge smiley on every post that I make for the next month instantly the day you got rid of that junk!

I have a question to ask our members. This is just to give us information for future site design. We are not going to be changing anything in the near future this way.

We would like to know how you feel about post counts. Do you like them? Do you pay any attention to them? Would you miss them if they were not there? Do we make too much of them or too little of them? Do you think it adds unneeded "competition" to our forums? Do you think it adds to our site by stimulating members to post more?

We would like to see any comments that you have here. We would simply like to know this info for future site design. (We are not going to erase post counts tomorrow!) Feel free to post any comments that you have in this forum. But above all, please take a moment to fill out this poll. Even if you "do not give a dam about this subject" that in itself tells us a whole lot. So please, take the time to answer this poll. It is very important that we get a proper picture of your ideas, and we can only do that if you answer.

Thanks all

White Fox

WF,

Post counts really only reflect how many of these are typed. Some people type few but say a lot. Some people type lots and say a lot. Its the quality of the post that counts, not the number.

Auzmink.

I look at post counts only as a general reference.

If I see a person make a post and I don't recognize his username I will glance at his post count to see if, maybe, he's an old member who hasn't posted in a long time. If a person has a high post count it must mean that he has been around for a while.

On the other hand, it could also mean that the person has spent a lot of time typing.

So, yes, I look at them but I don't give them much importance beyond what I mentioned.

I'm new to the site, so I can't really vote on this. I don't know yet if this would be all that important to me, or if I think it would be important to others. The first thing that came to my mind was a post count would give you some kind of an idea about how much a member wants to take part in discussions. Probably more important than that, though, would be in what the poster actually says in the posts. I have been reading a lot of posts since I joined and some are really good while others don't add much to the discussion. I guess the most important thing, though, is someone cares enough to be here and give his two cents worth whether others think its important or not. (Does that make sense?)

Furtive Touch;

Makes perfect sense.

Welcome to The Fur Den and please post your Avatar when The Gallery becomes available.

OFF

some are really good while others don't add much to the discussion

OFF... A member is actually reading my posts again!

Sorry about that F/T. I just could not resist.

Again, great to have you here. Especially great to have your opinions on things like this.

White Fox

Post counts I think are a good thing, to a point. It shows who's a lurker and who's active. I'll admit I do quite a lot of lurking but I'm also not a chatty-person either. This is just my little contribution..

First of all, welcome Furtive Touch! Great nickname and seems rather self-explanatory. Be that as it may, you might want to post to the thread here started by Earandil if I remember how to spell that nickname--too lazy to look it up--about our nicknames.

So often elsewhere I vote with the minority. This time I was delighted to see that my vote was right in line with what most denizens who voted chose. Of course voting's not over yet, but, if so far we have a representative sample, I'm with most.

It's rather nice to have a sense of belonging SOMEWHERE. Even though it's also nice to have enough confidence to be outspoken when being true to myself requires it.

For me the post counts give me something of an idea of where the poster comes from in association with the site. There are pluses and minuses. I might discount what someone says because of a relatively low post count when after all they might very well know what they're talking about. On the other hand, I enjoy being able to greet someone new to the site and offer a welcome. Still another thing is that it sometimes will give me an artificial motivation to post more, say if I've got only three more posts to turn over another zero in my own post count's ones column. Maybe I won't be as concerned with the quality of my posts in such situations.

Hello,

I chose the third option however, I would have worded it differently. I seldom post anthing, tend to lurk mostly unless I see something that I feel I can contribute to or I fell more passionate about. As such, I have been around for a very long time but have a very low post count number.

Sagamaster