Everyone

White Fox

Folks, please pay attention to our Info Zone forum right now. It is extremely important that you follow that right now. Not just for you. But if we can have your help as suggested, we can make this upgrade go faster so we can get back "on the air" even more quickly.

White Fox

Saving PMs is different.

There's no direct way to save them.

You can save them as web pages like I mentioned in the other message but that means you have to have a folder and an HTML file for each message. If you have a lot of PMs in your "Save Box" it could get messy.

You could also just go to each message and copy/paste the text into another file such as a word processor document or a plain-text file. It would be a lot more compact and a lot less messy but they won't look the same as they do when you read them on the website. (You'll only see the words.) Neither will you be able to respond to them as before. You'll have to start a new message thread.

Further, there is no real good way to restore your messages once you have copied them off and deleted the original.

Personally, I don't use the PM system to carry on conversations. I just use it to send short messages. If I want to have a private conversation with somebody I usually ask the other person if it's okay to send an e-mail to them. If they agree, I start the conversation via e-mail and forgo the PMs. That way it's a lot easier to save messages and keep track of them. Besides, I just prefer to use e-mail for some kinds of conversations... ifyouknowwhatimean.

Any PMs not explicitly deleted will remain in the database and be restoreds along with the rest of the database during the re-build of the site. We are just asking members to delete any old PMs that are not worth keeping to reduce the volume of data that needs to be restored. One of the slowest parts of the rebuild process could be uploading all the data back to the upgraded site (over 4 GB).