Candidate for fur-lovers' lexicon: furdar

frugalfurguy

This isn't to claim credit for inventing it, but to get it out there so more people can consider it. Credit goes to Worker. the word comes from combining FUR and raDAR. I know in gay circles they have a similar word gaydar.

For me having furdar means I'll feel a certain jolt when catching sight of fur. I'll remember it, most likely. It'll become the center of my attention.

Maybe by now you know what I mean.

Worker proposed some official-sounding definitions while we were chatting, but I don't think my memory'd do them justice, so Worker, if you care to recall them, it's all yours.

frugalfurguy

That's attraction after you notice the fur through conventional senses. A RADAR derivative is about seeing something before it is made clear to you. Hence "gay-DAR" is about seeing if someone's gay before he/she tells you so.

Well, I suppose furdar can have a few different meanings:

1) The ability to quickly spot somebody wearing fur, even if they are in a large crowd or are far away.

2) The ability to quickly tell what type of fur they are looking at and whether it is real or fake fur, even if only looking at a picture or at somebody wearing fur from a great distance.

3) The ability to size-up a person and tell if they are a fur lover or an anti-fur even if they have only briefly met that person.

In the original context the word "furdar" was used in, I was refering to another member's uncanny ability to spot one small picture of a person wearing fur out of a series of small pictures that quickly flashed by on the computer screen.

In another instance, I was standing in a crowded lobby full of people when, suddenly, I noticed a lady wearing a long, brown fur coat standing on the complete opposite side of the room.

And, as a third example, I turned to the person standing next to me and commented, "See that lady wearing that fur coat over there? That's a real Russian sable! It's worth $10,000.00 if it's worth a cent!"

Finally, I was able to tell that the person I was talking to was not an anti-fur just from talking to him, otherwise I wouldn't have pointed out the woman in the sable coat to him.

That's what I think "furdar" means.

For me having furdar means I'll feel a certain jolt when catching sight of fur.

That certainly sounds similar to the physical manifestations I have sometimes felt when my furdar detects something interesting!

That's attraction after you notice the fur through conventional senses. A RADAR derivative is about seeing something before it is made clear to you. Hence "gay-DAR" is about seeing if someone's gay before he/she tells you so.
--emphasis added.

You're right, LordTheNightKnight. There is a considerable difference in most senses of furdar from gaydar because there is at least visual (if not--mmmm, mmm, mmmm--tactile) sensation invoked. Acknowledging that difference, isn't there a particular heightened awareness among Den-izens and people who'd fit in here but haven't found their way here, a finely tuned sensitivity to zero in on the physical sensation much more readily than your average Jane or Joe?

And, no, by Joe, I'm not zeroing in on any of those who call themselves Joe here! Joes who hang out here are far from average, paragons of Joe Coolness. I don't remember meeting any Janes here, but I would feature her to be many degrees hotter than a plain Jane even before she takes out her furs.

frugalfurguy

I just thought of something else on this topic. A couple times I've been with companions who didn't know of my affection for furs (unless they'd got it by gossip) and made an unexpected sighting. They marked a sudden change in me. In neither case was I ready to out myself. I wonder if they figured me out from what I was looking at and my altered state. If so, they might have been the ones with the furdar.

And wouldn't it be an asset to one of us if we could divine by such traces someone with a shared infurction? Yeah, I know it was a BAD pun.

frugalfurguy

I might question that.

Unless your friends had seen you react this way on more than one occasion, I doubt that they would put 2 and 2 together. Seeing you get all goggle-eyed, looking at a person from across the room does not mean they know WHY you are looking. And, unless somehow you telegraphed your emotions very well, I doubt that they even knew WHO you were looking at, let alone that you were turned on by fur.

Unless you knew me very well, you might not ever know about my "Bear-dar"! You'd never guess why I was staring into that storefront window or gazing intently across the sales floor at a shelf of Bears.

People tend to be self conscious and they tend to assume that others know what they are thinking. I don't think that assumption is true very often. Sometimes it is. But not often.

I'm not saying that your friends COULDN'T tell. They very well might have.

Then, again. Who know? Maybe they're secret fur lovers too! Maybe what you noticed in them was not their detection of your furdar. Maybe it was the outward manifestation of THEIR furdar!