LAND OF THE FREE

Guest touchofsable

I WILL NOT BE GAGGED.

I will NOT LET ANYONE WHO HAS SOMETHING TO SAY WHETHER IN HUMOUR OR SERIOUSNESS BE SILENCED BECAUSE OF PATRIOTIC CONCEITS.

FREE PEOPLE HAVE NO ALLEGIANCE TO ANYTHING BUT LIBERTY.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THE FREEDOM TO SPEAK.

IF WORDS HURT YOU THEN YOU ARE ALONE IN THE WORLD AND YOU WILL EVENTAULLY BECOME ISLOTAED AND YOUR SOCIETY WILL DECAY.

I DEMAND:

An apology to furelli.

An apology to beautifulfurs and the reinsatement of his heartfelt hurt....its up to us to apologise if someone has been hurt.

You have 24 hours before I leave this fascist nonsense. And then you will have lost your greatest ally.

Edited by Guest

There are certainly appologies to be made and wounds to lick.

Ultimatums are for children and lameass politicians which is what all this flack has been over in the first place.

I hope my absence was noticed. I refuse to engage in this kind of hysterical name calling political discussion. Tossing around the Fascist word is inflamatory on its face and has no place in any civilized discussion.

Remember; all politics are local. Let's keep it there ... in this Forum anyway.

OFF

Off....the only four people in this who have been had a go at are Furelli. Tyxie, beautifulfurs and me.

And while I can easily accept that I cannot accept gagging.

I am sorry, but if you go down that path you will eventually have no place for fur because some people find that offensive.

I NEVER lose my temper unless its against people who want to gag others.

That is not a misuse of the f word, which the prime culprits of , the N's, is actually a banned word on here. Thats like they never happened.

Our children are still having legs blown off by unexploded N bombs, and we a have an F government who are opressing the whole way of life in the countryside. We dont have a right to speak against it as the F's control the media.

In the sky today was a spitfire.

Arent too many left now but some of us know what they are for.

www.militaryartshop.com/prints/clark/spitfire.htm

And that is not a patriotic conceit. The opossite. the squadrons of the few were polish, czech, new zealand, canadian, bangladeshi, pakistani, etc etc and I believe there might have been a couple of brave americans too.

Its an icon of liberty to everyone in the world.

like Davy Crocketts coonskin cap.

touch,

You are NOT being gagged. If I had wanted to do that, I would have inactivated your username to stop you from posting and deleted your posts.

You probably won't believe this, but I actually agree with you on several points you made in other topics. However, in order to maintain some civility to this forum and prevent discussions from decending into flame wars between participants, it is occasionally necessary to step in and end the discussion on a particular topic.

AKcoyote

I accept the notion that things like personal defamation of character can and sholud be prevented.

but it appears to nearly ALL us Brits that we have to deabte the american way or not at all.

From a barbie doll forum.

Post; This is sooooo lovely

next....mmmmmm wow....

next Got to get that!!!! Beautiful

next my order's in!!!!

next love it

next my sister got me one yesterday and its so wonderful

Any british person will feel automatically driven to say "cobblers" even if it is as good as they say, because all that is meaningless drivel. My girlf is afraid to post on it because if she dares question its validity then she is shouted down and the americans always ask her why she is rocking the boat.

If this is to be a true forum, you must let people discuss things and if it gets heated then just maybe some meaningful conclusion will be reached eventually....or at least we understand each other a little better and dont

just talk polite but vacuuous drivel.

Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Also, to reaffirm, and I am sure I speak for tryx and furelli too:

we have nothing against America, Americans, or individual members of this group.

Its just the British way.

We do exactly the same to the germans and french and they to us.

1966 is a private joke 40 years old between germany and England.....but we never get into aggressive posturing or getting upset. The germans do throw their toys out of their pram now and again but we do about mercedes/jaguar. But its just banter and we all like it. They were always the better football team and we always had better cars

If you cant take it we are not friends. Its like a test.

Americans dont appear to understand it....unfortunately that makes them a target for it, and we think, maybe they'll have a craic this time. But you dont.

You dont have to...but understand thats our way. We cant and wont all be "have a nice day" converts.

"THERE'S PEOPLE ON THE PITCH...THEY THINK ITS ALL OVER.....IT IS NOW"

eNGALND 4 gERMANY 2

We just have that one famous victory in 40 years of hidings by germany.

They are the far better footballing nation (until recently....I think we are now as sad the Germans at their decline) but we love to take the p**S and they out of us. We dont fight...its just a craic. We and germany are very very close as a result.

Call it playground stuff. But its better in the playground than the world political and military stage.

The United States is a great nation with lofty values that are a beacon to the world. You have to raise yourselves above a liitle mickey taking. we would never take the mickey out of the weak....but the mighty need a little rib tickling sometimes to remind them that though they are master of the world (thankfully) they still need reminding they are not infallable.

Point number one: item # 17 (supposedly of John Cleese's diatribe) was in fact post number 17 in the orginal 'only in america' topic that WF censored because of personal abuse.

Point Number Two: From my last post I received just ONE PM.... so I guess that means I didn't offend the others who claim to have been so cruelly slandered.

Point Nuimber Three: Sometimes it is good to let folks go at it tooth and nails verbally (minus the personal abuse) rather than getting all physical and pulling out the heavy artillary.

Point Number Four: As far as I was concerned, the locking of the topics was an overreaction. It does give one pause to think just what topic will be next.

Point Number five: Let me see.... which country didn't I have a shot at..... Japan?? China?? South Africa?? HMMmmmmmmmmmmm South Africa.... Because of a ruling by the International Cricket Board, we had the chairman of Cricket Australia come out and say that as far as he could see, calling poms 'pommie bastards' during the Ashes series would be seen as racial vilification. Son of a bitch.. I am screwed!!

Oh Piotr

now you are in trouble.....

I dont think they are going to let us talk about cricket.

What did you think about the ashes this year?

now for those of you who have been getting offended, perhaps you can understand why we have a little dig. You see we all know the rules of baseball and grid iron but do any of you know what cricket is? Is it ever on your TV?

Well said by the way piotr. Fair dinkum.

I had to read your last post on the only in america thread again as it was excellent!!!

Actually, I dont have any problem you calling me a tosser, I do the odd good googlie.

Now about Rolf harris...he is starting to get on my nerves and cant you take him back now please?

You know what ToS, you just might have hit upon a solution to our problems. Maybe this forum should be divided into two sections:

Section One: For those who understand the laws of Cricket

Section Two: For those who don't.

(yeah aussie humour again folks... think us V them.... and place yourself in the correct category. remember, once you have chosen your category/section, you must stay there and never intrude (post) on the other side of the fence.)

And ToS.. about the Ashes?? Well, you was lucky and our team selectors got it wrong in the last two tests where MacGill should have played. That would have placed you Poms in a spin *grin*

TAKE BACK ROLF??? After all you Poms have done for him?? Sorry... he is past his use by date *grin*

(Actually, do like him... just can't stand his Nationalism WEG)

Off....the only four people in this who have been had a go at are Furelli. Tyxie, beautifulfurs and me.

Hey did someone have a go at me, must have missed that one, can't have been very good, maybe I thought it was ajoke.

Can we rename this thread Land of the Three? with Eric as an honorary member?

You see touch!!

All are righteous.

Just some are more righteous than others. [uS irony/humor]

And ain't she sweet?

She's in the select group.

Most righteous Avitars of all.

OFF

Okay folks.. I miust correct an earlier post.

In it my first post in this topic, I said that #17 referred to Eric's post. This was incorrect. It did in fact refer to a deletion from Furelli's post.

Therefore I should also apologise for failing in not pointing out the possible obnoxiousness of that comment but the only reason I can give for that oversight is that I had previously received that full post in an email (back in November 05) and did not therefore refresh my memory

I apologise for this oversight... and error of judgement.

...Its just the British way...

...Americans dont appear to understand it...

It's called vituperation. It's a more refined version of billingsgate humor.

We get it. Some people just don't like it.

And... Brits don't have a monopoly on it. American authors, Mark Twain and Ambrose Bierce were two of the great Masters of the art.

Personally, I don't mind it. I use it myself, sometimes. But, it's easy to lose control of the situation when you use it. Study Bierce's technique. He's one of my favorite authors.

In reference to the discussion(s): I don't have a problem with 90% of what you say, TOS. If you don't mind some constructive criticism, I just think you should pay more attention when the referee holds up the yellow card.

We have a footballer called david beckham.

most of the time, he wins england the fair play award.

9% of the time he reacts exceptionally badly.

Maybe thats wrong. But ususally the principle is correct.

1% of the time he is a complete ass.

Maybe I am too.

I will check out the authors as I am unfamiliar with the concept....I think its near what you suggest, but I think Twain is darker and "sucre" and yet more cynical than Kipling, so its not quite the same if I understand what you are saying.

Piotr.

Please establish the forum off topic into the two sections:

Those who understand the laws of cricket, and those who dont.

For never the Twain shall meet.

1% of the time he is a complete ass.

Maybe I am too.

I would say that "passionate" is a better word.

I get passionate, too. The trick is to learn how to focus the passion.

If I could learn to put that passion into a bottle and sell it, I'd be rich!

• 2 weeks later...

Post; This is sooooo lovely

next....mmmmmm wow....

next Got to get that!!!! Beautiful

next my order's in!!!!

next love it

next my sister got me one yesterday and its so wonderful

TOS...you've summed it up well.

I've missed the fun and games going on in this forum over the last week or so. I was enjoyed reading what started out as a bit of humerous banter..until the toys got thrown out of the pram by those unable to take what was presumably a joke..not an attack on a nation.

As for item #17 I have no idea how offensive that was as it now no longer exists

This overreaction to dissent /humour/free speech and satire was one of the reason I stopped posting/visiting. Sad to see things havent changed.

And for the record 1)the US is not the only nation to have lost people in the "war on terror"...we all have. 2) to define light hearted criticism of another nations attributes as rascism and anti-whatever-nationism seems a bit paranoid

Yes but he missed it. Also it backs up our assertion that certainly nothing hurtful was intended.

And apologies once more that offence was taken.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but it really should be used reasonably and with some degree of sensitivity. Like those depictions of the prophet Muhammed in the Danish newspaper, sure they're allowed to do it but they really should have been a bit more perceptive and more responsible, given the time at which they decided to publish the pictures.

Agreed but there is a huge difference between lampooning God to devout people and lampooning a leader or nation.

I wouldnt send up your god but anybody's leader should be fair game.

I think that should be a rule. No insulting of ones religion; or colour; or personal abuse; or sex or sexual preference. Pretty much anything else is down to infringing free speech.

"And why do you keep getting at me...is it cos I is black?" (Ali G) Not one person noticed in his British or US interviews that in fact he is white.

That sounds good to me. They either didn't realise he was white, or were just utterly confused. Wonder if Ali G (Sascha Baron Cohen) is going to bring out a new series, it's been a while.