> enquired about having it altered to fit me. He pointed out to me that

> it was a ladies coat,but I didn't care. I was asked if I would like to

> try on any furs and I took him up on the offer. I tried on at least 10

> furs that appealed to me.What fun. I felt like a fur queen as all the

> coats were for women.(I love big fox collars on coats) It's 12 hours

> later and I still haven't come off my cloud. My fur will be ready by

> October. I can't wait to wear it on the first cold day. The furrier

> made me feel right at home and the price was right. I look forward to

> going back as soon as I can. Just thought I'd share. The furrier in question is Evelyn Furs on Anderson Ave. in Cliffside Park,N.J. It's a small place but had a nice selection and great service.

Edited by Guest

I'd love to know as well - being a former fur lover from New Jersey as well. I hope that you spend some time with us - welcome to our group!

FLinFL

I enquired about having it altered to fit me. He pointed out to me that it was a ladies coat,but I didn't care.

Curious ... What are you having altered? Are you having it converted to a men's coat (moving the hooks or buttons to the opposite side of the coat, etc.) or was it perhaps too small or short and you are having some additional pelts added to improve the fit and/or appearance? Just being my usual nosey self.

The fur did not fit me well enough. I'm having the sleeves and hemline legenthened because I am tall. The underarm area will be enlarged to relieve the tightness there. Also the hooks will be changed to close to the right. All together the price of the coat and alterations were $1300.00. Not bad when you consider Flemington Furs wanted to sell me a new one for 7 grand.They didn't even want to look at my coat. I find womens coats much more appealing than mens big ill-fitting styleless ones.

The type of alterations mentioned are somewhat questionable if the look of the garment is important. There is no proper way to lengthen the sleeves or body of the coat that will not leave noticeable horizontal seams. A good furrier will make new sleeves rather than attempt to lengthen the existing sleeves.

All together the price of the coat and alterations were $1300.00.

That sounds like a great price. A few years ago I asked a furrier what it would cost to put a larger collar on a men's mink coat (the coat was nice ... but the collar was too small for my taste) and I was quoted $500 for the collar re-work ... Which would have brought the total cost of the coat to $5000. I wound up passing.

AKCoyote is correct regarding appearance...the ways to lengthen sleeves are usually to add a cuff of some type, or sometimes reshaping the arm openings can work as well. Good luck and I hope all turns out for your satisfaction.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got the phone call I've been waiting for. My mink is ready for it's final fitting today. I couldn't sleep last night in anticipation. I've been dreaming of having my fur being slipped over my shoulders and having that decadent fox collar surround my face. I'm going to bury my face in it as soon as its on me. What a rush! I've been so miserable without my coat. Now I will feel comfortable wearing it in public also. I hope the Farmer's Almanac is right about this winter.

• 10 years later...

The coat came out fantastic. It still looks like new and feels wonderful. It's always been my dream coat. Quite the compliment getter too. I've been hospitalized several times recently and have put on some weight. Haven't worn it in two years because of being laid up. Going thru Hell right now, (diet & exercise), but have every intention of fitting into it this Xmas. Can't wait. C'mon winter! Best fur wishes to all. f4m

ps Think about Whitefox and Frbrgr and miss their input. neoJAGUAR is doing a great job!

A little more deep and we could find petroleum, huh? :pp

Jokes aside, I'm really happy that your dream turned into reality, and your story is great aswell. I wish I could find any furrier around here