Let's Make a Deal

Guest MissTheresa

Has anyone else been watching this old game show which is re-running again? Great for fur prizes, sometimes 2 or 3 coats in a prize package too. One of the great things is that everyone went ooh and ahh, generally going wild over the luxury item prize... quite fun to watch considering that today we wouldn't get that coat prize on any game show anywhere.

Welcome back, Miss T! Hope that we see more of you around here!

I loved watching the Price is Right when I was a kid. It seemed that a fur was almost always one of the prizes. What a shame Bob Barker went over to the dark side and ruined all the fun.

FLinFL

Indeed I remember both of those shows well. And there were some fabulous prizes in them. It was even mentioned on every show I believe that "There are furs up there! There are Clunkers up there!"

What I remember most were all of the gals wearing the coat that they won at the end of the show. Even a very few times where there was a male contestant. They would win a coat and a very few times they would put the coat on after they won it. I remember the host of one show putting on a white fox coat during the show, commenting how great that it would look on a man.

W

MissT,

Hope you are back with us. Do you have new photos, too?!

I really have missed you. Even if it is just for a visit, it is wonderful to see you here! 8)

Linda

Thanks for the welcoming back Linda! I am back online at home, so will be able to check in more often. I only have some new pics that I shot for PR purposes, new ads etc. I can choose one or two outtakes and send them to the gallery in a day or so.

The last episode I watched of Let's Make a Deal ended with the woman trying on her new mink and fox coat at the end... 8)

Oh! If only there were MORE situations in life where one could be standing there, minding one's own business when, suddenly, two beautiful fashion models come running up to you and wrap you in a fur coat!

Ah, the GOOD, old days!

I too remember the fur prizes given away on the Price is Right back in the good days...maybe now that Barker is gone they will return to giving furs again as prizes..........well..one CAN always hope ..*G*

Great to see you again MissT. I do not remember the Price is Right furs but I do remember Vanna White on the Wheel of Fortune in a few furs over the years. I have one or two of them on tape.

Furry Dreams,

Furcrazy

I don't remember this about the show. Then again I didn't see it all so often. I grew up in a family that didn't have a TV. My dad decided he didn't want a TV pumping vice into his home. He had a right to say no. While I certainly had a harder time relating to peers as a kid because I didn't have the same cultural focus, growing up mostly TV free set me up for other learning experiences like scrambling across scrub-covered hills watching for rattlesnakes and birds.

I remember having seen an episode or two of this show when we were traveling and it was on the tube at a motel we stayed at. As I said, I don't remember seeing any furs given away. I'm sure I would have remembered it if I had!!! Otherwise my brothers and I pretty quickly decided it was a stupid show. That's what they get for not having shown any furs the times I saw it.

I could imagine I would have had a rough time of it if I had seen furs there though. On the one hand, I would have wanted to see more. I would have been thinking of excuses, ways to get it. On the other hand, I would have felt ashamed that I had such a strong desire to see the show again. Such was the contradiction I've lived with for most of my life.

Maybe what took its place was my dad's collection of National Geographics. So many of the advertisements from the mid-fifties, where my dad's collection started, to about the mid-sixties showed models wearing furs. I would spend hours staring at those photos, trying to find a private place where nobody would notice. There were also several fur coat pictures in the articles themselves. I was awestruck by a picture of Jean Shor, wife of the story's author, fondling a vicu

I too remember all the furs offered as prizes on multiple game shows in the 70's and 80's. Fur was very fashionable both of those decades and was a positive part of the cultural zeitgeist (at least in the 70's). The best part of a school snow day was the opportunity to spend a morning snacking in front of the tube watching game shows. His N Her furs were often offered as prizes. I think game shows back then focused more on giving away prizes versus money. I kinda miss the old Wheel of Fortune format where they went "shopping" after a win versus rushing on to the next puzzle.

I had a suit exactly like that it the late 1970's...

FLinFL

It's been years since I've driven past it on my way to Philadelphia, but is Zinnman Furs of Camden, NJ still in business?

Yes, they are larger than ever. They have bought out several Philadelphia area furriers in the past decade or so and now have multiple locations. I was there for their end of season sale (held at a hotel in Cherry Hil, NJ) about 16 months ago. The Camden location continued to serve as their headquarters (at least it was when I was there). They had a nice men's fisher jacket at a good price that I was tempted to bring home with me.

JGalanos I noticed your finally signature at the bottom of your your posts..

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. -- Albert Schweitzer

Being allergic to cats I can't identify with that portion of the quote, but if I were to revise the quote slightly to REALLY would appeal to me it would be

There are three means of refuge from the miseries of life: Wine, Music and Furs.

Ahh... that feels better. What say you O.F.F.??

Thanks for that Youtube clip, furcrazy. Well, I tend to look at stroller-length as half-a**ed, so that coat wasn't my ideal. For me the payoff, though, was the expression the camera crew caught on the contestant's face when presented with the possibiity of winning it. Then of course I had the disappointment that she didn't actually win it after all.