All right, who's getting the iPhone?

Joe

I swear, no one put me up to this one.

(sono ubriaco?...un'po)

My cell phones are continually subject to accidental damage, not to mention I lose one on a nearly six to eight month cycle. (I miss my 'stranded in Frankfurt Airport for 3-days' photoessay...sniff...sob...) I think I'll sit this one out.

J.

I think the iPhone looks great! I'm really interested to see one in person.

It seems a bit expensive. But Apple products are usually worth it.

However, with Apple products, it pays to wait. They often do not put their best products to market with the first or even second round of introductions. Give the iPhone a year or so. You'll see a more refined product with beter features and, likely, a lower price.

I got a 5 GB iPod. It was a very short time when the 10 GB iPods came out at virtually the same price. Needless to say, there was an "Aw, shucks!" moment.

I bought a 100 GB portable FireWire hard drive so I could easily transfer data between home and work. Seriously, it's only as big as a 25-pack of Dunhill cigarettes! It cost about $125. (US) Less than 90 days later, I saw a 250 GB model for only $50 more! "Aw, shucks!" wasn't what I said that time!

In any consumer products market, early adoptors usually get screwed.

What?? You mean to say that you guys weren't any of the ones waiting in line since yesterday to get one??!!

(To me, nada - nil - nothing is worth standng in line for. Unless the line is very short . . . 8) )

Edited by Guest

Yep, I did the same thing with the iPod - got a 5GB model right before the 10 came out. Did you know there are people who never knew the iPod had a mechanical (not touch-pad) wheel starting out? I show my 1st-gen Pod to people and they laugh hysterically. I bought a 60GB 5th-gen on eBay for only $285 right before I went Eurotripping last year - it was stolen out of my pocket while I was asleep on a beach in Marseille, France. Quelle dommage...now I use a 512mb iPod shuffle, worn around my neck. I got the thing for free and it hasn't failed me yet - I've even left it on trains, in restaurants, in parks - it hasn't been stolen. I have a feeling the black market for iPhones will be huge - the next one may very well have to have a fingerprint-scanner (or even retina scanner) built in.

Anyone else actually have a pre-order on this one, though?

ciaociao

I have a feeling the black market for iPhones will be huge

Doubtful. All cell phones have an electronic serial number burned into their chips. Even if if you change the SIMM card the ESN remains the same.

Thus, the cellular service provider can simply add the stolen phone's ESN to thier list of banned phones and nobody will be able to register that phone on the network again.

The only work-around that I know of would be to replace the chips.

You're going to start seeing a lot more of this crap.

Consider the source of that article: MSNBC.

Their editors are necessarily going to trump up anything anti-Apple and play down anything anti-Microsoft. They have done it before. They will do it again.

This is par for the course with any news agency, these days, I'm sorry to say. You really do have to learn to filter your news if you want the truth.

You are going to have a lot of bone heads with big mouths making a lot of noise when things don't go their way. Most of them don't even read the instructions on things but are quick to whine when their new toy doesn't behave as expected.

On the other hand...

This is what Apple gets when they essentially beta test a product in the marketplace!

The've done it before.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...