Vancouver, September

fur999

I have eventually done it, I'm coming to Canada!

Yeah baby!

Followin a busy year emotionally, and with a month off work in September, I have decided to live the dream and visit Canada. I have always wanted to go there, for the scenery, the skiing and boarding (wrong time of year tho!) in legendary powder, the home of canoeing, and the climate that is fur friendly.

At the end of my trip and travels around the west coast and Rockies, I will have a few spare days in Vancouver. Can any one recommend any great places to visit, and while I'm there by my self, should visit the fur 'district' if there is one. Where are the best places to go to browse furriers and shops, and any places to watch furs go by?

Look out Canada for a tall blonde English man looking lost and confused

999 xxx

If you get the chance to travel, you may want to check out Sakatchewan, Manitoba etc. This is the home of the Cree. If you like the outdoor life, you will not have a better time than having Cree hospitalty and knowledge of nature. At the bottom of the following link under the Cree entry in the wiki is a link for Creetourism . You will certainly be able to buy furs direct from them; canoe with them hunt , fish and do all sorts of outdoor pursuits and even stay with them .

Indeed; if you so desire I dare say you could go out and trap your own with them: it provides them with much needed income to stave off the advance of developers eyeing their land greedily for things like hydro elctric power. Funny how people go bonkers about beaver fur but see nothing wrong with electricity from flooding millions of square acres and killing all the beaver.

Anyway...you asked how "organic" some fur produce is...well it doesn't get any more organic than Cree beaver:

http://vdsden.thefurden.com/fdwiki/?n=Political.NativeCulture

And if you have had a difficult time of it emotionally; take the opportunity to visit the Cree. They will get you back in touch with yourself and nature.

Edited by Guest

Good choice.

You'll be about 5000km west of me, but I'll wave to you anyway.

Bring something to keep the rain off your head.

I'm quite used to the rain, the N of england is not the dryest of places either! In fact it's lashing on the window right now!

I shall look out for yr wave

999 xxx

Will he have Fall colors in that area in September? Ours is mid-October, but believe that area is several hours North of us. Ocean might affect the timing too?

Linda

I want to keep this minimal as it is off topic. The one thing to remember is that there are some almost unbelievable hiking trips in the Rockies. Trails that just head back into the mountains for a few miles. Some just end and you come back. Others join to form a network. A couple lead to little tea houses. You need to study these up though as most are not highly publicized. You would not find them by looking for them while you are there! This would be a hi lite of your trip. But... you must do your homework. You can even do it by horse back. you can even climb the sides of some mountains by trails.

If I can help at all let me know...

As to fur shops, it has just been too long since I have been there. Hopefully others here can help you. Kevin and Shelley? Off?

W

Oh my, I think I may be in love!

ToS, the girl in the first Sami link pic is stunningly beautiful, worth a look all those who appreciate beauty. I will read the rest later, but thank you for the informative link.

I only have a few days spare in the big lights, but will endeavour to make them as productive and enlightening as possible

999 xxx

I visit BC and Vancouver frequently.

I get my jackets assembled by a place there.

I called Pappas when I was originally shopping for a furrier to do the work. Pappas was twice the price as Ace of Suedes so I went there and have been happy every since.

Next time I go up I'll go to Pappas to see what it's like.

Vancouver is a fantastic city. Their Cina Town is the best of all and it's a richly multi-cultural city to boot.

Probably the most spectacular locating of any major city in hte world.

I never tire visiting and I've been going there for over 35 years now.

OFF

Yes fur 999 that Sami girl is truly beautiful ain't she? Earendil and I are in love with her too! She is in Norway of course, not Canada.....but there is a link to the Manitoba trappers site under the Cree of a real cute Cree beauty queen in fox furs! She is also in the gallery if you tap in Cree as a search term.

Of course its a way from Vancouvr, but nevertheless if you are thre for a while the Cree trritories should be on your agnda if you like th outdoor life.

The last link in the Cree section gives you Creetourism.