Winter Olympics

Mr Barguzin

Thanks to free to air telly, I've been able to catch a few hours a night of the Olympics. So why am I starting this in this place? Cause Channel 7 showed only ONE fur coat *BLOODY BIG SIGH*

However, reading a post in the eBay forum got me to thinking. I know that most Americans and Canadians will be nicked off that their respective men's hockey teams failed (maybe *grin*) but what was the worst thing about these games for you? (and yes, you can repeat *grin*

For me, it is simple... a crash in the women's freestyle aerials and I can still hear the girl's screams. That she was an aussie mattered not one iota (and probably means that the rest of the world has no idea of whom or what I speak) but those chilling cries of anquish, anger, fear, shock, horror, knowledge are etched forever in my brain.

5 GOLD

2 SILVER

5 BRONZE

For a small country like Sweden, that is more than we expected. Sunday we will play Finland in the Icehockey Final.

Swedens "littlebrother" Norway are not happy right now. They

Mr B, you mentioned hockey. I was so angry here the day after our men's hockey team was put out of the race. There were gals who won something like 4 metals the same day, and in the news there were three paragraphs on those gals and 20 on the hockey team losing. Those gals dedicated their whole life for years to get there and lived on almost nothing. That hockey team was made of professionals getting multi millions each per year and thought about it for a couple of weeks.

On the other hand our gals hockey team are so great. I remember last year about one gal on the team who had a very good job. She went and asked for time off to go to the olympics and her boss would not give her the time off. So, she quit. That dedication is what the Olympics is all about. Not somone who makes $5 million per year and thinks about it for two or three weeks.

It is high time our press folks realize that.

Our women here as of last night at least have won more metals than women of any other country. And how many people are told of that.

W

The only part of the olympics that even got my attention was all the steroid use and that american skier who cant even finish the race whatever his name is.

Eric,

Then you are really missing a lot!

I have just loved watching them at night.

I believe the racer you are speaking of has won more lifetime medals than anyone. Hope he is not just remembered for this last Olympics.

Linda

Funny.... when we aussies think of choking, we think of Greg Norman

But still reckon the best choke was by the tennis player in the final when she was serving for the match in two.... and lost. Now THAT is how to choke!!

Sweden beat Finland 3-2 in the icehockey final.

7 GOLD

2 SILVER

5 BRONZE

6th place in the medal count. Not bad for a country with only 8,5 million people...

See ya in Beijing 2008.

Bode Miller and our hot-dogging snow board loser aside (at least Bode won a few chugging matches at the local pubs!) my greatest disappointment in the games was the closing ceremony. Not the ceremony itself - gracious no! A job very well done by our Italian brothers and sisters! And with all the grace and friendliness that is so typical of that great country and its people! Thank you! I am always sad to see the end of the games - be they summer or winter games.

So now it's on to Vancouver for the 2010 winter games. I can hardly wait! You know the Canadians will put on a show!

Let's just hope that some of the athletes grow up by then . . .

Hmmm should I mention that the bloke responsible for the Opening and Closing ceremonies was the same bloke that brought you the Opening and Closing ceremonies at the Sydney Olympics??

Oh and he IS an Aussie *grin*

(Sydney the Victa Lawnmower; Torino A Ferrari... what more can one say... oh, and the flying girls *grin*)

I agree! I thought the Italians put on a wonderful Olympics. I watched almost ever night, while I worked on the Fur Den!!

The closing ceremonies were just beautiful. Bet that was a great party!

Linda

As a final repost to this posting, the best bit has to be the Italian bus driver bringing us down from the Women's Aerials cancelled qualifying after 4 hours of snowing who decided to put the snow chains on just after the start of the steeper road section. Blocked the whole road up and down, then found his snow-chains were 10cm TOO SMALL!!!! Needless to say, everyone on the hill (spectators) had to walk 4km down to the car-park, whilst snowing.

For me, he epitomises the Italain spirit - or maybe he had too much himself!!!!!