What makes the perfect website?

Mr Barguzin

The reason for asking this question is a conversation that happened down in the no-spam zone.

SEE HERE

So this can be a place where we demolish folks opinions of their sites... or give constructive criticism.... or even PRAISE for worthy sites. Of course, like many things in life, what one loves another will abhor whilst the rest will just shrug and get on with it. So, what makes the perfect website.... fast loading images? Java? Flash?Audio?Videos?Text? What?

and what really pisses you orfffff? Um see above but view it negatively LOL

I have my pet peeves... but what are yours?

well, fastclick/casalemedia - they're annoying - specially flashy banners

That's the exact reason I don't like them!

They flash and annoy the user until they have a headache. They take a long time to download and they often use up a lot of computer power with their animations.

Static banner ads are OK, even if they are pictures. Pictures can be compressed so they load quickly.

I also don't like tracking code that most banner advertisers use. I set my browser to block the referrer when I get innundated by those requests, only whitelisting certain sites that I want to visit.

I can also block all incoming and outgoing traffic based on origination. Normally, I block third-party requests but I can also blacklist certain sites

"*fastclick* and "*casalemedia*" are two strings I block all together.

I understand that, in order to keep a site up you sometimes have to take sponsors but there is a limit. The ads can't slow the site down. They can't annoy the user and they shouldn't track the user's whereabouts on the internet.

And, in terms of me being fascist about Flash and Java, it's not always true. I DO like some Flash. It's just that people use it for the wrong reasons.... To "protect" content rather than provide the user a pleasant and fun experience at your site.

If you want to truly "lock" your content you should use something like Quicktime, et al., where you can put "User Keys" on a file. Unless the user has an encrypted key stored on his system, the file won't even load.

(It's not foolproof but it's about as good as it gets.)

I think this is a difficult one to call. I usually go to fur sites just to look at the pics, (obviously not this one) Small pics annoy me, only because i occasionally want to downlaod a pic i like or i would actually like to see the fur properly. But there again from the site owners point of view, why should they put in all the effort and people just copy their pics? I suppose small pics are off putting as well if you wish to buy a fur over the internet; you can't really see it. Flash pics or what ever they are called are annoying; i just want to look at the pics - no fancy stuff. As for Javascript; i find you can't enlarge them.

I think this is a difficult one to call. I usually go to fur sites just to look at the pics, (obviously not this one) Small pics annoy me, only because i occasionally want to downlaod a pic i like or i would actually like to see the fur properly. But there again from the site owners point of view, why should they put in all the effort and people just copy their pics? I suppose small pics are off putting as well if you wish to buy a fur over the internet; you can't really see it. Flash pics or what ever they are called are annoying; i just want to look at the pics - no fancy stuff. As for Javascript; i find you can't enlarge them.

agree - small pics are annoying, but if they are just previews (and are very well fit for dial up users). Click on them and zoom in to a full size image. Does it sound better?

I have no problem with flash.

What annoys me is when there is too much to download in terms of workable features.

the worst two for this I vivit regularly are I am sorry to say lana's,

and The Racing Post.

Either they freeze my screen or parts just dont work or I get "...is not an object" or some such.

Flash is okay but its better to keep it simple.

I never have a problem with blackglama's site for example.

BUT THE VERY WORST SITE IS HOTMAIL.

SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO PRESS GO ON YOUR BROWSER A DOZEN TIMES BEFORE YOU CAN GET AWAY FROM AN OVER COMPLICATED AD AT THE TOP WHICH STOPS THE REST FROM LOADING. SKY ARE THE WORST OFFENDERS AND ITS REALLY ANNOYING COS I ALREADY HAVE SKY.