Wearing Fur Makes One ... Memorable

JGalanos

As I mentioned previously, I've worn my furs more this season than any other -- They've gone everywhere from the opera to the Piggly Wiggly. One place in particular that I've enjoyed wearing them is a relatively new local restaurant. One of the hostesses there LOVES my furs. Over the course of the winter I've worn my coyote, fisher, silver fox, crystal fox, and mahogany mink furs there. She has asked several questions about my furs (what kind is it, can she touch it, etc.) and in general seems quite taken with them. She has gone to the trouble of learning my name, makes a point to give me desirable tables with great views, and has done a few other things to ensure a delightful dining experience. While I think part of it is that I'm a nice guy and she's a nice gal ... I also think part of it is the furs. She seems fascinated by them and me. A couple nights ago when I walked in dressed to the 8's in my (literally) ankle length crystal fox coat (8's as in 8" wide shawl collar and 80" sweep) I thought her eyes might just pop out of her head. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Edited by Guest

That's pretty cool!

My wife and I have had nice comments when she wore her fur out but not the kind of recognition you got.

You should let her try one on just for fun!

I have had similar experiences, though to a lesser amount. There is an art store that I go to now and then, and the woman who owns it is always making comments about my coats. I do believe that certain people do indeed have an "extra love of furs" that may well not be fetish oriented. I think that this probably also goes back to those who "touch" as you walk by them, or those times you are touched casually in conversation on the shoulder or back more when you are wearing fur than when you are not. There are a whole lot more people who just really love furs than we might think. And these people could well indeed be fur wearers in the future.

Another example of fur making you memorable ...

In January I went into a gift shop that I had not visited in roughly a year. When I walked in wearing my fisher coat the clerk exclaimed "I remember you! You came in here last year. How could I forget that coat?" Actually, she was a tad off - When I visited the shop last year I was wearing my coyote coat - But, again, fur made me a memorable male.

I had dinner at the restaurant again this evening. My Hostess With Da Mostest, noting I was wearing my mahogany mink jacket versus my usual full length long hair fur coat (it was in the mid 30's F), referred to me as her "thermometer" -- Stating that she can always tell how cold it is outside by the coat I'm wearing.

You should DEFINITELY see if you can get her to try one on for a minute!

Next time, wear a nice yummy one and see what happens if she does.

With tomorrow's high forecasted to be ~20 F there's still plenty of time. We shall see ...

• 1 month later...

His wardrobe preceded him ...

I stopped by the restaurant after work tonight. I was wearing my mahogany mink jacket (it's still pretty cold here). After I was seated, I heard the hostess tell the waiter as he emerged from the kitchen "you've got someone at table 14" and then heard him ask "the fur coat guy?". Fortunately, I had not had anything to drink yet, for if I had I'm pretty sure it would have shot out my nose. I suppose I should not have been surprised, given that I have shown up there in fisher, silver fox, crystal fox, ranch mink, mahogany mink, and coyote over the course of the winter ... But I think that's the first time I've ever been referred to as "TheFurCoatGuy" (at least within hearing distance). Should I ever need another screen name, I may just choose that one!

• 3 months later...

J- I DO think she is interested in trying on one of your coats.. From there you could measure her interest in "more"...

• 3 weeks later...

i was in a local mall recent winter here in Louisiana in the south and i was stopping by at a video game shope bc i had some questions about some stuff and a pretty dark haired brunette girl comes out made a commnet on my faux mens mahogony mink jacket and she loved it so much that she gave me one of thier top gaming magazines for free. geez, i was only in there to ask a question about my game console but yeah. it was kinda refreshing to go through something like that. i was delighted from her comment on my jacket but left me curious all at the same time hehe. its just someting that i wont forget.

Last December I took my wife to a very special restaurant. She wore her full length Golden Island Fox. I like to watch people's reactions to her furs.

There were several guys who got a mild case of whip-lash looking at her fur coat.

An older lady who was sitting at the Guest Reception table remarked who beutiful her coat was and asked the usual questions and stroked the fur.

Even a child or two walked up and asked to touch it.

Not bad for one outting.

Trebor

• 6 months later...

Thought of this old post the other day when the concierge at Nordstrom smiled and commented "I see you're dressed for the weather as usual".

Fur truly does make one memorable!

Thought of this post again this morning. It's relatively warm out (~30 F) today and I did not wear my faux fur jacket when I dropped by Panera Bread this morning. The gal behind the counter noted I was not wearing my jacket, amusingly pantomiming the missing hooded faux chinchilla jacket I had worn during my last visit.

I've had a few requests from others, women mostly, to try on my furs. But people LOVE to touch them.

PS - is your name meant to be "grouch + omg", or "groucho + mg"?

It's as in "The one, the only, Groucho!". "mg" is a tag.

Groucho Marx, by the way, was a afficionado of raccoon coats, so I'm told. Though, that's not why "groucho + mg" is my user name. That is a long story.

TyG

Groucho Marx, by the way, was a afficionado of raccoon coats, so I'm told.

"How the raccoon got into my coat, I'll never know!"