The Decline of the Fur Sales in Saks Fifth Avenue and Bloomingsdale in Florida

Lawrence

I am waiting this post to report that the decline of the fur industrial has finally come to my area Florida. Back in June I was informed by the sales associates at my local Saks Fifth Avenue that at the end of 2021 they will cease to sell new furs as part of Saks Fifth Avenue company sales strategy along with Bloomingsdale Maxillian vaults nationwide. But they did give me some good news that they weren't doing away with cold storage for customers that had furs held by them. That they were in the process of acquire a separate parcel of land that was not part of the Saks Fifth Avenue department store at the Town Centre Mall in Boca Raton,Florida. So that customers who wanted to continue to storage and have access to their fur collection could still do so. But everything now a days only last for a time. I have been utilizing the Fur Salon's services going on 19+ years. It seems that anti-fur agenda has a more power voice now in government in the United States and globally I assume. But why should people who enjoy the practical uses of fur for warmth and fashion suffer because the majority deems it to be cruel and unnecessary. So while I am sad I would like to hear from other members if they have seen the same in the area geographically. And how other members  will go about weathering the anti-fur sentiment that is changing a industry; That has been around since the 1600s or longer when French,Canadian, and Indigious fur traders have been cultivating furs for practical uses for ages. Families have survived in this trade for ages by either trapping or retail of furs to the masses. I know that Florida is not know as a fur centric state like states in the Midwest or North East U.S. But it is still sad to see. I'd love to hear what other will have to say on this topic.

Edited by Lawrence

I live in Scotland. As a child, there were numerous fur salons and every quality department store sold furs.  Now, there is precisely ONE furrier in Glasgow and he’s getting close to retirement.   

It seems that the anti-fur brigade have been effective in scaring fur wearers into submission.  I recently wore my fabulous full length mink into a shop the other day and the older ladies were absolutely fascinated by it.  I offered my opinion that in this age of female emancipation, woman being seen as mistress’s of their own lives, etc, etc, etc. that it was incredible they allowed themselves to be effectively bullied from wearing fur.  I think I may have sown some seeds…

Alas, it’s been so incredibly wet recently that wearing fur is just not possible. 

• Like 2

I am near San Francisco.  San Francisco has banned the sale of new furs.  California followed and now has banned the sale of new furs.  There were dozens of fur stores in San Francisco back in the 1970s and 1980s.  Now there are none.  Not even used fur store.  

Yeah I'm on the opposite side of the country in Southern California, and it's the same here. Of course there was the California fur ban, but I guess Bloomingdales and Saks are closing their fur salons all around the country. You can't even buy real fur on the Bloomingdale's site anymore. At least Maximilian continued on independently it seems. But as someone who worked there, and it was my first job, it was sad to see it close down for good last year. Anyone interested should definitely buy furs from Saks before they close at the end of the year too.

• Like 1