“Counting minks instead of sheep...”

pnwhist

Awhile back, I used to play a game in my mind of recalling particular fond memory lists in order to deal with insomnia...silly lists just so I can try to fall back asleep such as “count at least 10 memories of going on vacation” 

One theme on a particular sleepless night was “name at least 10 fur coats you touched when you were growing up” (and trying to recall who owned the coat, the coat type, and where)

We all have our own fur journeys, so I’m curious what your list would be when you try to “count minks instead of sheep.”

My list :)

• Classmate’s Patchwork Rabbit coat school-desk
  • Friend’s mom patchwork rabbit coat downstairs coat closet
  • Friend’s mom’s blue fox coat downstairs guest room/coat closet
  • Friend’s mom’s mink jacket. Master bedroom closet
  • Mom’s mink jacket. Master bedroom closet
  • Friend’s mom’s full-length black mink. Entry closet
  • Aunt’s full-length black mink. My closet :)
  • Friend’s mom’s coyote coat. Downstairs hall closet
  • Aunt’s full-length beaver or raccoon coat. Back of the car /hallway entry closet
  • Friend’s mom’s lynx jacket. Hallway closet

Memories of furs in my life growing up: 

Mom's mink coat: front door closet

Goat skin rugs: on a close friends’ bedroom floor

Sheepskin lining of a cotton shell jacket: on a camping trip with a friend

Rabbit pelts: I raised and sold rabbit meat

Raccoon, deerskin, beaver, mink and fox pelts: in my grandfather’s workshop  

Deerskin leather: surrounding the holes in the outhouse and a mink throw to cover yourself when doing your business on cold winter days

My own B3 sheepskin jacket

Coyote pelts that my best teenage friend kept under his bed and use for stimulation  

Sheepskin fur coat: like Matt Dillion’s in Gun Smoke, I use to barrow from a friend

Horse hide and black bearskin rugs: on the floor of the cabin we live in

Moose skin/fur: at my aunt’s dairy farm in Maine

Sheepskin pelts/rugs were very common in my friends and my home growing up. 

Edited by coyote 1
  • Thanks 1

Memories of furs from my childhood:

1. During 1st grade I was 9-10 years old and I had a guidance counselor who used to wear her shadow fox jacket that hues of red,gray,and silver colors in the fur that she would wear when it would get a Florida chilly 40s/50s. She was a short redheaded women in her 40s. I remember it fondly but was never able to touch it but always felt the attraction towards the fur and her.

2. I was about 13 years old 1997 and my family was visiting NYC in the winter time and it was a bit chilly at the time. Given that it had snowed the past two weeks. We'll my family had some friend's that visited us and I was blown away when the wife in her 60s strolled in wearing a long  silver fox fur. She laid it on the bed that I couldn't help but touch and stroke until my grandmother told me to stop. That ignited  my life long passion for. But to this day I fondly remember these two experience.

Edited by Lawrence
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lawrence said:

“I was about 13 years old 1997 and my family was visiting NYC”

Man, what an experience! Do you think your fur attraction was cemented by then and this pretty much ‘sealed the deal’? 

I guess if you were much younger, your grandmother would have just thought of it is cute. 

Memories of fur rugs:

• A multi-pelt fox(?) rug on the floor of a store.  This is the very fur rug that started my fur rug fetish (I wrote about this in a separate post)
  • A black-tailed deer skin rug on the floor of a store.  I actually ended up purchasing this rug (also described in details in the other post) despite having been trampled on by dirty shoes.
  • Sheepskin and alpaca rugs on the floor of a store - some were also used on the foot-end of beds so that customers trying out mattresses don't have to take their shoes off.
  • Sheepskin rug on the floor of another store.  I went into this store just to step all over it with my shoes on.
  • Two sheepskin rugs on the floor of an Ugg store.
  • Cowhide rug in the lobby/waiting area of my workplace (it's my rug - I brought it there).
  • A large Icelandic sheepskin rug on the floor of a store.  Icelandic sheepskins have very long strands.
  • A real zebra skin rug on the floor of a store.
  • Goat skin rugs, alpaca rugs, sheepskins, rabbit fur, kangaroo, cowhides, deer skins, and other fur rugs in my own collection.  

As for fur coats, I have never really cared about coats.

On 10/9/2021 at 12:17 PM, pnwhist said:

• Friend’s mom patchwork rabbit coat downstairs coat closet
  • Friend’s mom’s blue fox coat downstairs guest room/coat closet
  • Friend’s mom’s mink jacket. Master bedroom closet
  • Friend’s mom’s full-length black mink. Entry closet
  • Friend’s mom’s coyote coat. Downstairs hall closet
  • Friend’s mom’s lynx jacket. Hallway closet

Damn, is that all the same woman? If so, what an awesome collection!

As for my memories:

• Aunt's fake fur coat
  • Grandma's fur hat
  • classmate's fake fur vest
  • another classmate's mom's fox trimmed coat
  • other aunt's cape with fur trim
  • red fox fur pelt at a ski resort hotel
  • sheepskin at that same hotel
  • red fox fur jacket my grandma kept

The memories after that are of my own furs 🙂

1 hour ago, Cyclobasti said:

Damn, is that all the same woman? If so, what an awesome collection! 

Hahaha. Re-reading the post, I can see how there’s a lot of ambiguity in determining if the ‘feels’ stemmed  from one or more ladies 🙂 Unfortunately (and perhaps fortunately,) those events are from 6 different ladies.

I’m sure if it WAS coming from a single source, it wouldn’t have taken long to figure the real reason I was visiting so much! LOL.

The only thing better than wearing a full-length mink made from the finest fully let-out female skins, l is wearing such a coat that has been custom-made for you.

Years ago, during an unexpected cold snap, I went into a fur salon with this girl I was seeing.  I was wearing a bespoke Italian suit and a cashmere overcoat at the time, so I looked the part of a potential client.  I had barely entered before a salesman helped me out of my overcoat, walked me over to a multi-panelled floor-to-ceiling mirror complex, and slipped a gorgeous full-length ranch mink over my suit.  As I stroked the plush fur of that huge shawl collar that seemed to envelope by entire face, which I must say was very, very silky soft and shiny -- softer than any fur I had ever touched -- he explained that the pelts used were Black Willow females, a very exclusive and very rare ranch mink.  I think it was Pierre Belmondo or something...

It was the most mesmerizing experience.   I felt really light-headed.  The dulcet tone of his voice, his choice of words, the luxurious feel of the coat, and the gentle caresses of the mink, all appealed to my vanity and all my senses.

The coat’s style and price, which was north of $25,000, did not suit me at the time, but I was smitten with the experience! 

I often think of the experience when trying to fall asleep.  I fantasize I'm some sort of billionnaire in his silk pajamas, exhausted after a fun time in his harem...now cosy and warm in bed ready for his beauty sleep......that mink in his wardrobe, that salesman his valet ready to slip it on him when he leaves his home next....

Edited by A.L.Z.
  • Like 1