A game changer for the fur industry

coyote 1

9/11/2021 Yesterday the "Fur Industry voted to Strikes Back with ‘Game Changer’ Traceability Standard"

"Fur isn’t giving up its foothold without a fight, and it has one of luxury’s biggest names in its corner. This week, the International Fur Federation (IFF) unveiled Furmark, a global certification and traceability system that it claims will not only guarantee animal welfare and environmental standards"

But will also “transform” the way fur is sold around the world. By allowing complete Transparency’ to Include "Traceability".

1383694498_IMG_3366(2).thumb.jpg.d79dd12fc541be995c2a22232360cff9.jpg

• Like 2

And then we can challenge anti fur laws better, since if the point is to prevent animal cruelty, then it would look selective to allow meat, even though both would be following standards.

I’m sure the Chinese will not be happy with this development since they have poor standards of cruelty?  (Let’s face it, look at how their citizens are treated). 

I’ve never had any desire to purchase a fur garment from that particular market. 

I agree with dongleboy and it's crazy how many sellers on IG are just reselling fur products off of aliexpress or alibaba and making thousands of dollars.

Also, I've always found it weird that the fur industry is so much more targeted than the meat industry when it's basically the same thing - animals being bread and killed for their products

The aspect of the ‘anti-fur’ brigade I can’t get my head around is that those people who protest about fur will happily, or more likely unthinkingly, wear clothes made by children working in unsafe Asian sweatshops for subsistence wages.  I remember having an argument about fur with a cousin who is very committed to not using animals until I pointed out that she smokes and that her tobacco products were probably tested on beagles at some point.

We’re all part of the same hypocrisy. 

2 hours ago, dongleboy said:

...those people who protest about fur will happily, or more likely unthinkingly, wear clothes made by children working in unsafe Asian sweatshops for subsistence wages. ...

Remember how I talked about educating people who have fanatical beliefs?

This is exactly what I was talking about.

As the question:

How can a person think that the fur industry is bad when the apparel industry is full of companies who make clothes in factories staffed by unskilled people working twelve hours per day in sweatshops, earning subsistence wages?

People who work in the fur industry have to be trained in their craft.  They probably have to undergo at least a year or more of apprenticeship before they are allowed to work unsupervised and they can earn career-level pay even as an apprentice.

23 hours ago, Cyclobasti said:

I agree with dongleboy and it's crazy how many sellers on IG are just reselling fur products off of aliexpress or alibaba and making thousands of dollars.

Also, I've always found it weird that the fur industry is so much more targeted than the meat industry when it's basically the same thing - animals being bread and killed for their products

I blame racism. Yes, the anti fur movement is seen as a left thing, but this seems to be from the kind of left who proclaimed "Racism is over!" when Obama was elected, but then felt "betrayed" when he said that it was still a problem (basically these people really were hoping "white guilt is over").

Now while I feel the first anti fur push was actually for the right reasons (don't fucking hunt leopards to extinction), the next major push was against seal fur, and that was portrayed as these "brutal savages" clubbing these poor animals to death, when it was about Inuit tribes culling overpopulation, and then selling off the furs so this wouldn't go to waste. So some people got to pretend they were helping the environment, when they were actually screwing over the economy for yet more non white people.

The second push, at least in the US, was in the 80s and 90s, with peta stars pushing the message, but this "just happened" to grow as black people started wearing fur more prominently (something that could be seen in things like music videos, which happened more often as the 90s went on). See the article right below.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/03/04/sanders-black-women-owning-fur

(BTW, some people in Britain claimed that their anti fur movement around this time was free of such bias, but considering that country's racism problems even now (see Brexit winning due to demonizing immigrants), I doubt that.)

The third push was the recent one against the Chinese fur markets. Yes, they need good regulation in their fur farms, but anything as bad as those staged "leaked" videos? No fucking way! But a lot of people swallowed it, especially since we never really got over the double stereotypes of China being both full of backwards people (some still blame the pandemic on Chinese people daring to have a different diet than us), while at the same time being the "yellow peril".

But what about the meat industry? Well at least in the US, guess who runs most of the farms? Well it's now corporations, but many still think they're mostly run by white, I mean "hard working" families. Thus eating meat, and even wearing leather, are treated as a-ok!

Heck, I would bet money that if faux fur was seen as benefitting non white people (either as makers or as wearers), then it would start being seen as bad as well.

• Like 2

We used to have a fur shop in my home city that was quite a substantial business. However, they had their fair share of anti-fur activity such as glue being sprayed in their locks and protests outside.  However, what really disturbed me was the shop front being sprayed with red paint which reminded me of photos I’d seen of businesses being targeted by the Nazis in Germany. 

Since the fur business has always been predominantly Jewish I’ve often wondered if perhaps there’s an underlying vein of anti-semitism going on. Brexit has only reinforced this.  

Edited by dongleboy
  • Like 1