Insuring Furs…

a_man_of_many_foxes

Random question. Just bought a house in the states. Was wondering if any of you insured your furs for more than your basic level of homeowners insurance. Did you use a separate insurer specifically for jewelry, furs and such? If so, what kind of pretty penny can I expect to spend? I appreciate any help as I am new to the whole homeowner thing! Thanks in advance. 

Check your policy-I was surprised to find my furs were already covered in the base insurance level. If my collection is over the dollar limits on the policy, I would get them covered personally. 

As far as I know if you have any appraisal paperwork on any of your furs, talk to an rental insurence.... 

I think its considering clothing as far as I know... I know most agency's require a reciet..... its crasy... doesn't hurt to ask or take your furs to a furrier to get an appraisal on ur furs..

• 3 weeks later...

In Germany usually your insurance of contents (not sure if contents are included in your homeowners police, that's maybe only for the building) is on the full price tag. So if you bought a lot of vintage furs and they get stolen you can spend a lot (or rather until your limit/sublimit) at your furrier for new ones. It should be enough to take pictures and have them available (also in case of fire - store them in the cloud).

I don't know about your collection, but a fur lover easily has above 100k original price in the wardrobe, especially if she or he bought some vintage furs (plus normal household content including clothing, books, etc.).

It might be best be ask an insurance broker. If you don't want to:

- check if contents are included in your insurance

- check if there is a sublimit for valuables (jewelry, money, etc.) and furs, also check if there is an exclusion or an obligation to store them in a vault or so

- ask yourself what amount of risk do you want to insure (deductible? upper limit?)