Lab grown fur

foxs

Hi, I recently remembered that I read an article about lab grown fur - https://www.fauxfurinstitute.com/nouveau-blog/2018/11/5/fur-grown-in-labs-is-becoming-a-reality .

It is a startup project (https://www.furoid.com) started in 2017 and the idea is based on growing hair follicles on some materials. Quite cool, but will be a while until being available. Just thought to share this, do you have any comments on this?

It is an interesting read, but I have doubts about it. Noted, these doubts stem from my lack of understanding the lab processes involved in bioengineering, but here goes.

As you mentioned, it will be a while before it is available. But even then, will they be able to reliably supply all fashion producers, like they envision? Given the size of fashion industry, I highly doubt that. Not to mention, I fear the initial prices of prototype lab pelts would be so astronomical it might not be worth it, even for brands that pride themselves on exclusivity and "ethical approach". If that is the case, it might never take off.

They mention they want to "provide a bioengineered pelt with a unique pre-coded genetic signature combination that distinguishes it from other pelt sources, including pelt farming or poached pelts." Correct me if I'm wrong in this assesment, but this just sounds like "We want to create a pelt that is the same as real one, but actually not". The genetic signature is the way it is for a reason. If they change that, can they really create the pelt that has different genetic structure but exactly same properties and features?

Third issue I have with that is that it doesn't mention any side expenses that go into such creation. Energy, material, chemicals, anything like that. Since both real and faux fur often get a flak for not being upfront about not being honest about what exactly goes into the production, while claiming to be more ethical or environment friendly, they might want to step up and be honest about that. Maybe it's too early in the process that they don't have the estimates yet, and maybe I've simply missed it, but I just don't see any reason why the process should be more environmentally friendly than real or regular faux.

But, again, maybe it's just my ignorance. As it stands, however, I'm sceptical.

Their site is lacking a lot of details, at best. I think that they are just trying to see if it is even possible, but they are very pompous about it. On the other hand, should we blame them?

I mean, as you said, there is very little hope they would be able to fulfill whole world's demand. But they need to be at least noticed to make some impact, hence the glorious claims. Read with a grain of salt.

Regarding the genetic difference of the pelt, they probably meant it could be possible to distinguish their "product" based on artificial DNA sequences in the grown material. They plan to use it as a counterfeit measure (https://www.furoid.com/rd/dna-based-anticounterfeit), they probably also plan that it will be very pricey in the beginnings. But I don't think the signature, as they call it, must necessarily make the fur different in visual. I am not a bioengineer, but it should not be too hard to insert non-functional DNA to a cell.

10 minutes ago, Furever Heidi said:

Thanks for hinting other companies!

Consider if this market takes off... No more guilt about fur or faux fur or anything, everyone is back to wearing fur on a regular basis. Maybe the prices will one day be low. What a future!

On 3/2/2021 at 5:38 AM, rabbitfur said:

Consider if this market takes off... No more guilt about fur or faux fur or anything, everyone is back to wearing fur on a regular basis. Maybe the prices will one day be low. What a future!

I fucking agree!

No more "do you know how many minks it took to make that coat?". It's instead how many coats can be cloned from a single mink over their life.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any fur of my own YET but when I do (and I will) I will definitely be getting real fur from an animal that had to die. Sorry if that sounds cruel but part of the turn on for me is the killing of animals. So i don't like the idea of fake fur or lab grown fur. If people rather have fur without the sacrifice from a beast then good for them but im not in that group. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 11:41 PM, YoungFurGuy said:

I don't have any fur of my own YET but when I do (and I will) I will definitely be getting real fur from an animal that had to die. Sorry if that sounds cruel but part of the turn on for me is the killing of animals. So i don't like the idea of fake fur or lab grown fur. If people rather have fur without the sacrifice from a beast then good for them but im not in that group. 

It is not such a ritual to me, but I understand what you mean. More affordable & stigma-free fur means more people might wear it and that is a very good thing.

I heard a podcast about labgrown meat lately and it seems they are pretty advanced. So we might see lab grown meat in the near future, although it will most likely start with processed meat and not a steak. That's why I guess it's still a long way to go for the mink coat.

And you should also remember that a large amount of the price of a coat is the crafting. But for trimmings etc. lab grown fur could become an alternative.

On 3/17/2021 at 11:41 PM, YoungFurGuy said:

I'm on your side (although I already have furs from once living animals). And I guess there are others too, so the market for real fur will not vanish but maybe change to more high quality.

On 3/28/2021 at 8:23 PM, foxs said:

It is not such a ritual to me, but I understand what you mean. More affordable & stigma-free fur means more people might wear it and that is a very good thing.

Let's hope we will see more fur again, no matter where it comes from.

• Like 1