Snow modeling session with the wife

pnwhist

In my area, we had a brief appearance of snow recently, so the spouse and I decided to do a little fun modeling session with her and her coats to blend in with the natural winter environment.  

Has anybody had any experience with sessions like this? It was a lot of fun but not being very experienced on how the photoshoot process goes, it would be nice to get any tips on how the professionals do it and to make it less clumsy and feel like we know what we’re doing. Thanks!

F088DFA9-805F-4311-9035-E2B494967459.jpeg

4D25D479-6A2B-4568-B9BA-99C3388F3BA9.jpeg

B1D73E66-0DCD-4837-BC55-C288D8F85153.jpeg

Edited by pnwhist
Refine content and typo
  • Like 14

I done something similar recently with my wife to be. We started by spending a while getting her ‘ready’ making sure her hair and make up was perfect. Once she felt great, we started by taking photos without any fur, concentrating predominately on her face. Fur can sometimes be intimidating so the slower you ease someone into it, the more relaxed they look on camera. Sometimes rushing them into the cold outdoors is also jarring so start inside in the warm and once they feel comfortable/ sexy that’s when you get your best shots. 

When it comes to the photo itself lighting is the most important thing. If your using a phone/ dslr camera try changing the setting to an outdoors light, then bump up the saturation to really highlight those colours. Also try using either a filter on a phone or a shallow depth of field lens on a camera to blur the background and really make your subject and the fur coat pop! 

Shooting fur is relatively easy because it is so expressive but shooting the person wearing it, sells the image. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2021 at 7:09 AM, Furcoats said:

* started by spending a while getting her ‘ready’ making sure her hair and make up was perfect.

* Once she felt great, we started by taking photos without any fur, concentrating predominately on her face. 

Thanks so much for the technical pointers @Furcoats! All of those tips were super helpful and I mentioned the tip about warming up indoors first to her. She agreed - there always seems to be a warm up process, isn’t there!

I use to have a DSLR but sold it so we actually pay a little for one of our past Wintry excursions so right now we’re just iPhoning it. Are there any filters that you recommend?

Also, the last portion of the session was with her Blackglama mink but as you probably know, the coat details just doesn’t seem to get captured on camera as well as they deserves. Any technical thoughts on that? (Also because it was snowing, her hair was getting wet which probably the key reason we ended the session)

Thanks again for your advice. I knew we should have paid attention to lighting as well...next time.

The fun note was that she’s now interested in having a professional photographer do a session down the road.

05DA5709-3F2A-4971-87F0-EA335BE12E39.jpeg

Edited by pnwhist
Appended additional though
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jakov said:

It's about time someone said they are lovely photos!

Thank you @jakov! I hope it inspires others to capture a Wintry session with their partner in the future. 

• Like 1

Oh, i got some pointers lol

A fur hat to avoid wet hair, shades if she don't want to show eyes and some kind of posing props like whip or gun hehe

Edited by Marcel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fox4me said:

Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing. You're a lucky guy!

Thanks @fox4meGive my wife all the credit. I just kept pushing the ‘release’ button as often as I could - not really knowing how to facilitate the Session.

You're off to a great start.  Great that your wife was willing to do that.  Hopefully your wife will be game for more.  As the the blackgama, yes definitely lighting.  Its really hard to get dark colored furs to show up well.  I suppose, it its a sunny day, you would not have snow.  DSLR would help with the darks.  Maybe some camera flash on or some floodlights.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pnwhist said:

Thanks so much for the technical pointers @Furcoats! All of those tips were super helpful and I mentioned the tip about warming up indoors first to her. She agreed - there always seems to be a warm up process, isn’t there!

I use to have a DSLR but sold it so we actually pay a little for one of our past Wintry excursions so right now we’re just iPhoning it. Are there any filters that you recommend?

Also, the last portion of the session was with her Blackglama mink but as you probably know, the coat details just doesn’t seem to get captured on camera as well as they deserves. Any technical thoughts on that? (Also because it was snowing, her hair was getting wet which probably the key reason we ended the session)

Thanks again for your advice. I knew we should have paid attention to lighting as well...next time.

The fun note was that she’s now interested in having a professional photographer do a session down the road.

05DA5709-3F2A-4971-87F0-EA335BE12E39.jpeg

I cannot stress the warm up period enough. Us fur lovers feel like a kid in a candy store when we get an opportunity like this, but the key is to take it slow and really think about desisions we’re making. I found the first time I did it all of my photos where out of focus because I wouldn’t take my finger off of the camera release button 😂 

in response to the iPhone question, I’m not sure about filters but I would use the portrait mode setting. It blurs the background and makes the subject pop. Also Instagram and Snapchat have some great filters that you can use and download without actually uploading anything. I’d play around and let your wife choose which one she likes. 

As for the weather, when it’s snowing think about it as a clock that’s running out of time extremely quickly. You’ll only have a limited amount of time because either her hair gets wet or worse she feels uncomfortable a hat is preferable but if not then aim to shoot when there is snow on the ground but not falling from the sky.

Lighting is tricky if you can’t control it and I wouldn’t recommend taking lamps out into the snow. That mink is beautiful, the only thing I could suggest is standing by a light source so it picks out all the fur detail. It’s just one of those things that unless your camera is good in low light conditions, you won’t be able to pick up that incredibly fine detail, Seen in that coat.

Thats amazing about the photographer. I wish you and your lovely lady all the luck in the world. 

Happy fur shooting 

• Like 1

@Furcoats

This is the session way back with the DSLR. With your trained eye, are you able to tell the difference in the detail vs the iPhone (albeit I’m not uploading these images in full resolution)

If we have another session sans professional photographer, we’ll definitely do a warm up session. The last one you did, was that with a DSLR?

BD4F6851-91E6-489C-B92F-E544573EC19F.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pnwhist said:

@Furcoats

This is the session way back with the DSLR. With your trained eye, are you able to tell the difference in the detail vs the iPhone (albeit I’m not uploading these images in full resolution)

If we have another session sans professional photographer, we’ll definitely do a warm up session. The last one you did, was that with a DSLR?

BD4F6851-91E6-489C-B92F-E544573EC19F.jpeg

If I’m perfectly honest, I can’t instantly tell but as you said that may be down the the resolution. The whites definitely look whiter in the last picture. 

The last one I did was done on a DSLR. It was done on a canon 5D mark 3 with a 50mm lens. Anything with a 50mm lens and the right lighting preset on the camera is pretty unbeatable.

finally, that final coat is stunning! And as previously mentioned thank you so much for sharing these images. 

On 2/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, minkme said:

It's very rare to see furs being modeled in the snow.  Thanks for sharing them with us.

Depends where you look.This is just a small sample I have collected on Pinterest.

I alone have over 700 images under the  name FURluvva FURever.

You need to have an account.

Can post more here if there is enough interest.

z4.jpg

z3.jpg

z2.jpg

z1.jpg

• Like 2

She looks amazing! I do admit, I love those snow pics contrasting with the fur. It adds that touch of elegance for sure.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:07 PM, LustForFur said:

I would try a 70mm. 50mm could distort the nose if you're getting tight shots, but it's great for full body shots!

Better...  Exactly 39.6 mm will produce the same perspective as the human eye sees.

On 3/4/2021 at 5:08 PM, pballer1507 said:

You should definitely post more photos! Especially the crystal fox!! 

That is her favorite of all the furs. It may be awhile when we have another snow photosession though as there’s a lot on the homelife that needs to calm down. Perhaps NEXT winter?

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 6:53 PM, Liontamer1 said:

Beautiful  pics 

Thank you. Trying to capture the best version of the moment seems to be quite the challenge with all the variables involved during the shoot!

On 3/9/2021 at 1:50 AM, Worker 11811 said:

Better...  Exactly 39.6 mm will produce the same perspective as the human eye sees.

I was searching on Amazon for this size lens but I couldn’t find one. Would you happen to have any links of recommended lenses?

You're probably going to have to get a zoom lens.

I don't use digital cameras very often, except for stuff I want to post on the internet... to sell on Ebay and stuff like that.

Most of the cameras I use were made in the 1940's - 50's.  The newest camera I own was made in 1985.

• Like 1