History of this place

foxs

As a young member of the community connected with this fur love & passion site, I was wandering what is the history of this place.

There are multiple posts copied from the old Fur Den and a couple post explaining a recent admin change of this site - FrBrGr, White Fox, neo, ... in the Articles area. It is obvious that there was an "old" site and a "new" one. But I wasn't able to find information or any detail about this categorization -- were there multiple sites which are now deemed as "old" or at least different stages of what now seems as one?

While searching the forum, I also noticed people mentioning almost a mythical place called Library. But there are no posts talking about it after 2015. Was there a site change or was this place deleted? Or was it caused by a simple decline in number of users and thus less mentions?

Thank you!

On 2/7/2021 at 5:11 PM, foxs said:

While searching the forum, I also noticed people mentioning almost a mythical place called Library.

On the previous incarnation of The Fur Den, we had a wiki where any member in good standing could create articles and pages about almost any subject they wanted.  The wiki was called "The Library."

The Library had a lot of information about fur, different types of fur, how to identify them and how to care for fur, in general.

There was also a section of The Library for fur stories and fur erotica.  We had collected many old, classic fur stories that were written by past members and we had many new stories written by then-current members.

The Library was administered, mainly, by three people.  White Fox (R.I.P.), AKCoyote and myself.  Very few other members contributed anything and, when those few people did, it was usually up to me and the others to come in, afterward, and tidy up.

Eventually, The Library turned into a little-used backwater.  Few people, outside of a select group, contributed and, when there were contributions, few people read them.

At that time, I had access to the web server where the Fur Den resided and I had full access to the IP and visitor statistics.  To put it mildly, they were dismal at best.

The Library fell into disuse and decay.  After White Fox's passing, The Fur Den changed ownership and the site was converted to a new version.  Most of The Library's content was folded into other areas of the new website but was no longer in wiki format, leaving it, essentially, static.  People could not add to it as easily.

The Fur Den website was updated another time, to the format you see now and much of the content that was previously archived was buried even deeper.  Most of it seems to have been lost.  I was told that the old content is still here, somewhere, but I have never been able to find all of it.  I have only found bits and pieces.  What I did find was full of broken links and was misformatted.

Most of the old Library is gone.

Back in the day, when I was co-administrator of the Fur Den, White Fox, AKCoyote and I ran regular, automated backups of the entire website which were stored on our own computers, at home.  The theory was that, if SHTF and the website went down, at least one of the three of us could restore the Fur Den from one or more of the saved backups.  With each of us being at three of the four corners of the continent of North America, it would have taken a worldwide disaster to destroy all three copies of The Fur Den.

Now that the three of us are scattered to the winds, I have no idea whether any of those backups exist.

White Fox is no longer with us and AKCoyote has retired.  I haven't seen him visit the website for a good six months or more and I have lost contact with him.

As to me...  I still visit The Fur Den, occasionally, but I have no responsibility of the site's operation or upkeep.

Somewhere, deep, down in the far reaches of my computer archives, I might still have a saved backup of the old Fur Den.  I am one of those people who never deletes anything.  With hard drives being as cheap as they are, I just fill them up and, when I can't cram any more data onto them, I just buy a new one.  The old, drives get removed and stored in a closet.  I've got three hard drives running in my computer, right now.  I have one or two, sitting idle, within easy reach where I can re-install them and I've probably got a dozen or more stacked in my closet or basement.  I have, probably, ten or twenty terabytes of data, containing the majority of any computer file I have ever received or generated since the year 1998.  If you count archived floppy disks and CD-R disks, I have stuff that goes back to the early 1980's.

I am 90% certain that I have one or more backups of the old Fur Den website squirreled away, somewhere, in those piles of hard drives.

I suppose, some day, somebody might be able to inspire me to dig around and look for them.

Edited by Worker 11811
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't post often but I go back to the NTCweb.com days too.  Back when you had to wait 30 seconds to download a photo on a 36.6 modem lol.  I appreciate all that's been done in the efforts to keep a fur forum alive!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Redman27 said:

I don't post often but I go back to the NTCweb.com days too.  Back when you had to wait 30 seconds to download a photo on a 36.6 modem lol.  I appreciate all that's been done in the efforts to keep a fur forum alive!

I remember those days fondly. Then came the Fur Fashion Guide Forums.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Redman27 said:

I don't post often but I go back to the NTCweb.com days too.  Back when you had to wait 30 seconds to download a photo on a 36.6 modem lol.

and saved the pictures on floppy disks lol

NTCweb.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you for your time to write such a long and detailed post! It is beautiful to see that there are still many members who have been here since the beginning.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2021 at 6:49 PM, Marcel said:

and saved the pictures on floppy disks lol

NTCweb.jpg

Wow, that brings back some memories!  Thanks for sharing that!  :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 2/11/2021 at 4:52 AM, Worker 11811 said:

I am 90% certain that I have one or more backups of the old Fur Den website squirreled away, somewhere, in those piles of hard drives.

I suppose, some day, somebody might be able to inspire me to dig around and look for them.

Hey, guys!  I found a bunch of old Fur Den stuff on my computer!

I've been working on my computer, replacing old, failing hard drives, adding more memory and doing OS upgrades.  I found a cache of pictures from the old Den's photo gallery.

There are over 20,000 files spanning more than 6 GB of hard drive space.  Some are good quality.  Some are ho-hum quality.

There are another 1,000 to 1,500 files, taking up another 400 to 500 MB in my personal collection.  Some might be repeats of the other pictures.

There are fashion pictures, magazine ads, nudes and personal pics from past Fur Den members.  I've only briefly skimmed through some of the files.  I can't tell you exactly what's there but it looks like soup to nuts.

Everything was posted to the old version of the Fur Den and was publicly available at the time so I don't have a problem with sharing.

If somebody would give me access to a place where I can upload 7 to 8 GB of data, I would be happy to share these images with anybody who wants them.

Let me know... Give me some ideas and I'll upload them for everybody to see.

• Like 6

Wow

It sounds like you're uncovering history.

I've got space on my mega account, you could drop it there.

Say, I'm very mutch intressed in the stories form the old fur den, did you by any change came across any?

• Like 2

I didn't find any stories from the old Den but, as far as I can tell, many of them have been saved on this incarnation.

I've got five old hard drives sitting, right here, on my desk and I am slowly sifting through them before deciding what to do with them.  I was planning to consolidate them onto one or more drives then wipe the rest and reuse them as NAS on my home network.  Drives that are old and failing will be dismantled, have their platters wiped clean with a super magnet then recycled.

There's another drive, inside a USB enclosure, in my desk drawer, that I use to keep emergency backups and there are, probably, a couple-three more drives in my closet.  If I can dig them out, dust them off and figure out what's on them I might find even more "Oldies but Goodies."

If, during that process, I find any more old Den stuff, I'll certainly send up another flare.  😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Uploads are in progress to svernmelus' account.

I'll be breaking it all up into several small batches so they are easier to manage.

Will keep you updated as things progress.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Some of those pics bring back memories - including one of the faux furs which features amongst Mr Mockle's pics that I was incredibly fortunate to buy from him (the faux silver full length coat)