sheared fox

rabbitfur

Does anyone have experience with sheared fox? Not many results popped up when searching the archives here.

I saw a coat for sale yesterday made of sheared fox. Fox is already my favorite, I can hardly imagine it getting any softer. Would love to hear your experiences.

Hello, I have seen and felt a sheared fox - 20 years ago.

It was more a design element than anything other. The fur even got more course since the former soft tips were sheared away and the tips then where like a cutted pipe. If you want a flat fur which is soft: go for the poor man´s fox: rex rabbit 🙂

• Like 1

At a Montreal pop-up many years ago, I tried on a sheared fox pullover "sweater." It was obviously less thick than normal fox, but it was extremely soft and still about an inch deep. Perhaps the guard hairs had been plucked as it was great to feel. Unfortunately it was not large and I had to pass.

I heard sheared beaver is really soft since the coarse guard hairs are removed in the shearing process and the soft underhair remain. i would imagine the same goes for raccoon or any other fur type that has rough guard hairs

6 hours ago, Zaphod_bee said:

That means like with often with fur: it depends - on the quality and the real finished piece ....

That's it. It also depends on the type of fox and the shearing. I imagine red fox is often sheared, at least this is the one which I saw once. As red fox is a little bit rough, a good shearing might make it softer. I don't see any use in shearing the usual ranched foxes (silver, blue, etc.).

Currently sitting at my cabin wearing my ushanka style hat with a sealskin outer and sheared, blue fox on the inside, and it is really soft and nice, even softer than regular blue fox in my opinion.

20210114_144400.thumb.jpg.4f9ff67f95bbb84a95c6995a6f432bf7.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cyclobasti said:

I heard sheared beaver is really soft since the coarse guard hairs are removed in the shearing process and the soft underhair remain. i would imagine the same goes for raccoon or any other fur type that has rough guard hairs

Sheared beaver still has the course guard hairs, only they are cut down. Now plucked and sheared beaver is much softer, but is much more uncommon.

18 hours ago, rabbitfur said:

Does anyone have experience with sheared fox? Not many results popped up when searching the archives here.

I saw a coat for sale yesterday made of sheared fox. Fox is already my favorite, I can hardly imagine it getting any softer. Would love to hear your experiences.

I have a sheared fox scarf and find it kind of wirey. Some furs are better left unsheared. Natural unsheared Rex rabbit is much softer and silkier compared to sheared rex.

1 hour ago, furlvman1 said:

Sheared beaver still has the course guard hairs, only they are cut down. Now plucked and sheared beaver is much softer, but is much more uncommon.

Yes, I have heard that first plucked and then sheared beaver might be THE best option for lovers of soft fur. Beaver must have almost as much hairs as chinchilla, but chinchilla is (for me) even too soft and also very delicate (sheds and tears very easy). And beaverfur (as beeing a water animal) must be quite sturdy. Some "errors" during use can be brushed out quite easy ...

Unfortunately here in germany I can not get a hold of plucked and sheared beaver (- and have not even had a sample) !... I would really like to feel a plucked and sheared beaver blanket (which can be seen at some canadian stores) !!

6 hours ago, Zaphod_bee said:

Yes, I have heard that first plucked and then sheared beaver might be THE best option for lovers of soft fur. Beaver must have almost as much hairs as chinchilla, but chinchilla is (for me) even too soft and also very delicate (sheds and tears very easy). And beaverfur (as beeing a water animal) must be quite sturdy. Some "errors" during use can be brushed out quite easy ...

Unfortunately here in germany I can not get a hold of plucked and sheared beaver (- and have not even had a sample) !... I would really like to feel a plucked and sheared beaver blanket (which can be seen at some canadian stores) !!

Glacier furs here in the US has a good supply of plucked & sheared beaver. Ive bought a couple of pelts from them, and while expensive, the quality is the best. It seems very few coats are made with this as it is more delicate without the guard hairs, but much softer. You may try plucked and sheared nutria as it is even softer than the beaver. Beware of some Ebay adds claiming plucked, when the pictures clearly show the silvery guard hairs.

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2021 at 10:42 PM, furlvman1 said:

I have a sheared fox scarf and find it kind of wirey. Some furs are better left unsheared. Natural unsheared Rex rabbit is much softer and silkier compared to sheared rex.

Beaver is better left natural length because the guard hairs provide protection from the wind., In my opinion, land otter is only good sheared,

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2021 at 7:14 AM, furlvman1 said:

Glacier furs here in the US has a good supply of plucked & sheared beaver. Ive bought a couple of pelts from them, and while expensive, the quality is the best. It seems very few coats are made with this as it is more delicate without the guard hairs, but much softer. You may try plucked and sheared

On 1/15/2021 at 7:45 AM, Cyclobasti said:

nutria as it is even softer than the beaver. Beware of some Ebay adds claiming plucked, when the pictures clearly show the silvery guard hairs.

Beaver guard hairs are not that coarse when compared with moose. Beaver has 4 inch long guard hairs which protects their 0.4 inch long underhairs. Land otter has 1.1 inch long guard hairs and 0.4 inch underhair.   It makes more sense to pluck and shear land otter because the guard hairs are short. Beaver guard hair provides great wind protection.  Beaver guard hairs are an important resource