Embroidered Initials in linings...

dongleboy

I've been banging on on another thread about my ambition to start wearing a full length mink coat as soon as the weather turns cold. When I took the coat I purchased to my local furriers for cleaning and a new lining I asked about having my initials embroidered into said lining.  I was surprised when he advised me that the people who had done that work for him had retired and he didn't know anyone who might do it.

I started to think of scenarios whereby I may need to identify MY coat.  Ok, I go to a concert and hand my coat into the cloakroom.  Afterwards, I go to claim my coat and hand over the token/ticket and someone challenges me that I've found the token and am claiming a valuable coat that isn't mine!  

Any thoughts?  

I also bought a foldable coat hanger which I intend to keep in the pocket.  I once saw an incredible sable coat hung over a peg in an Opera House's cloakroom in The Met in New York!  I really wanted to say something but figured it wasn't really my business. 

I think getting your initials embroidered will be well worth it..

ive been thinking of doing that for all four of my furs..

I always monogram my furs since I constantly take them with me whenever I go somewhere. And If I take them out to dinner or to a place that has a coat check, that monogram comes in handy. Especially if there happen to be other furs on the premises.

It'd be neat if, somehow, an RFID chip could be embedded in the lining or a seam of a fur, just the same way we put microchips in our cats and dogs.

If there is ever a question about which coat is whose just zap it with a scanner...  BEEP!...  "This is MY coat.  THAT one is yours."  😉

It should also be possible to sew an embroidered tag into the lining of a coat, somewhere.  It might not be as indelible as embroidery but, for 90% of situations, it should work just fine.

Another idea would be to put a metal tag behind the buttons or toggles, inside the coat.  It doesn't have to be big.  Not even 1/4 inch in diameter.  Again, for 90% of the time, it ought to suffice.

Ask your furrier what other options, like this, he might be able to do.

Edited by Worker 11811

Yeah!  You could fashion it into one of the buttons and nobody would ever know it’s there beside you. 😉

You could pull out your iPhone and, zap!  “There’s my coat!”

Edited by Worker 11811

How about those embroidered patches that has your initials? the furrier can sew on the lining.  You can use DB for dongle boy.  I am sure they can do something like that 

I am not sure if you want to leave your coat at the coat check.  It may not be the safest place around if you know what i mean?  I have seen coat rooms use wired hangers to hang coats.  Wired hangers are not very strong so it may fall o the floor getting soiled.  I have seen coats stuffed on shelves so you might be better off keeping the coat with you at your seat.  

I am not sure if anyone here had their fur coat damaged or treated badly .  If you had an anti fur person in the coat room, there might be a problem. 

3 hours ago, minkme said:

If you had an anti fur person in the coat room, there might be a problem. 

Yeah...  That problem is called "jail."  😉

Coatroom disclaimers such as, "Not responsible for damaged property," don't count when the cause of the damage is a willful act by an ill-mannered employee.  Willful destruction of property where the value of the property damaged exceeds a certain amount is a felony in most U.S. jurisdictions.  Then there are civil charges which can include compensatory and punitive damages.

I had a vintage Rolleiflex camera stolen out of my car and I found out the guy who stole it lived a few blocks away from my house.

I had the guy brought up on felony charges and repayment for other lost property, too.  The judge gave him the option of paying me within thirty days or having his wages garnished to the tune of about $1,000.

His landlord kicked him out of his apartment after the cops knocked on her door, asking questions and the pawn shop where he tried to fence the camera got permanently shuttered because of repeat offenses.

If a guy can get spanked that hard for stealing just a grand, think of what might happen if somebody destroys a fur coat that costs five to ten times that much!

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the responses. 

I sent an email to a local firm who claim to do embroidery but they didn't reply.  Either they are so busy that they don't need my business or the fact I wanted my initials in a mink coat upset them. 

I must try some other organisation.