Hesitation on buying my first fur.

Skinnypanda

Hello all, extremely long time lurker here.

Recently my desire to acquire my first fur has been stronger than ever. It's something I've wanted to do for a very long time. That being said, i'm met with a bit of hesitation when actually trying to buy it.

My first problem is a tiny one: simply deciding between either this or this. I'd love your opinions and/or suggestions on something different.

My second problem is that i would need to hide it from my family. I'm a 19 year old male who still lives at home, and fear any awkwardness or questioning from my family members if they were to see either stole. Buying it and shipping it aren't an issue as i frequently buy clothes online to resell, and they know not to open my packages. The bigger issue would be storing it, in a way that is both safe for the fur, and nearly impossible for my family to find in the event they come into my room. My main two options are in my desk drawers (i have two of these i could use, or i can hide it somewhere in my closet. I know hanging is probably the best for the fur but was wondering if it is at all possible to fold in half and tuck into either my desk drawers or a dresser?

I would love any tips, thoughts, or opinions you all my have on the matter. If anyone else has been in this situation of needing to hide furs, i'd appreciate some advice as well.

Thank you all!

Welcome Skinnypanda! Congrats on your upcoming first purchase!

Certainly it is better for the fur to not fold it and leave it in a compressed, confined space. That said, your priorities may be different than mine when I was 19, but here is what I would consider in your situation:

1. If your intent is to hide it from other people, you may not need to store it in a fashion promoting its longevity or beauty. Accept that it is not going to stay pristine long, especially if it is your first fur. Enjoy it, learn, and be rough 😉

2. If you do prioritize wanting to have a fur at all over one that is immaculate and wearable, I would consider buying a fur that is second hand and cheap; then you may not worry so much about its storage condition. You will likely have more (and better) furs in the future, when you have better opportunity to take care of them. If you have the means and desire to buy one of those though, do it! I got my first fur while living with my parents: a thrift store rex rabbit coat that I hid between my mattress and box spring. It was not meant to last lol

3. If your priority is to have a beautiful and presentable fur, consider asking yourself why you want to keep it hidden. I think you will find many anecdotes on these forums that coming out as a fur lover is not shameful or stigmatized as you may think. This is a good place to start that conversation with yourself, if not with others.

Good luck!

Get a lockable garment storage bag and hang it in the back of your closet.

Put some other items of clothing like a pair of dress pants and a blazer inside, along with.

If anybody asks you what's in the garment bag, ask them, "What color is the American flag?"

(Answer:  The color of FREEDOM!)

Any consenting adult has the right to do as he pleases as long as he's not breaking any laws or hurting anybody else.  As an adult, you have the right to like fur if you want to. Nobody...NOBODY...has the right to tell you any different.

What I'm getting at, here, is not about hiding your fur.  Exactly the opposite.  You are an adult and you have adult responsibilities, now.  You also have the right to take adult privileges, too.  You need to learn to stand up for your own rights.

Buy some fur if you want to.  Put it in a storage bag, lock it up and, if anybody asks you what's in it, tell them, "It's MY property so keep your dirty mitts off it!"

There is no shame in having fur if you want to.  If you want to be private about it, that's your right to decide.  If you want to tell somebody about it, that's your choice.  Regardless of what you decide, you need to be comfortable with yourself, the personal choices you make

Fur is not "perverted."  Fur is not "gay."  Fur is not just for girls.  Fur is just a "thing."  Liking fur is no different than liking ice cream.  Wouldn't you think it's weird if somebody tried to tell you that boys should only like chocolate ice cream and that the only people who like vanilla are gay?  If somebody tried to tell you that, you'd probably tell them that they are crazy.

If you really want to get a fur, go right ahead.  If anybody tries to give you any grief about it, tell them to go F*** themselves.

• Like 2

I've bought several items from that seller including this Blue fox double sided stole and while it is really awesome now at first it had a very strong and unpleasant chemical smell which has now worn off. I might have been unlucky but it might be worth asking the seller. I have also been keeping an eye on this seller Gediminas which may be worth considering. Blue fox is amazing and both styles should be good.

In regards to hiding it I would look at your room and evaluate who comes into your room and when they do which parts of the room they look at. I for example have floor to ceiling closets so I put my fur stoles in a linen bag in the topmost one as no one looks at those as they are so high up. Fur is quite bulky too so factor that in your calculations. Maybe you could get a box on which you could write, "Items to be resold". Then hopefully, no one would look into it and if they did its not yours! If you can padlock it then even better as you could say that as you are going to resell the contents you don't want anyone else touching. 

I hope my thoughts have been of some use. 

Good luck with your first fur and let us know how it all works out 😄!

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2020 at 7:39 AM, Funinfox said:

Maybe you could get a box on which you could write, "Items to be resold". Then hopefully, no one would look into it and if they did its not yours!

Really like this idea!

Just purchased these from amazon. They should stack perfectly on a shelf on the top of my closet. I've been wanting a place to keep my reselling items anyways so it should work out quite well. I think i'll also pick up a linen bag when i go to target sometime soon. Once the bins arrive i'll look into luggage locks of some sort. Going to wait until everything arrives to purchase the fur: still need to decide which of the two i want.

Edited by Skinnypanda

2 hours ago, Skinnypanda said:

Really like this idea!

Just purchased these from amazon. They should stack perfectly on a shelf on the top of my closet. I've been wanting a place to keep my reselling items anyways so it should work out quite well. I think i'll also pick up a linen bag when i go to target sometime soon. Once the bins arrive i'll look into luggage locks of some sort. Going to wait until everything arrives to purchase the fur: still need to decide which of the two i want.

Lame idea, cuz you can't keep the box for long and maybe you want more in your collection. Get a closet with a lock or install a lock yourself and mark it with ongoing inventions, Nobody in the family or friends are going to ask stupid questions about how you're going to get rich.

I don't believe in hiding something that you should not be ashamed of wearing in the first place. Spending money on a fur and not enjoying it outside is a waste.  Why not get yourself a overcoat you like and add a killer fox fur collar to it for example. No one will bat an eyelash at it and you'll have a fur you can wear out and enjoy every cold day next winter. Nothing beats a big fox collar on a cold day. The compliments are great too!

As an adult man who collects teddy bears, I have had to deal with many quizzical looks from people who think that I am, somehow, strange for liking them.

I have heard people say that I must be "gay," "perverted" or even "retarded."

No!  I don't sleep with teddy bears.  I don't talk to them or play with them like a child having a tea party.  I just collect teddy bears the same way somebody else might collect stamps or coins.  I study the history of teddy bears.  I learn about how they are made and the companies that make and sell them.  I have owned teddy bears that are worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

How is collecting fur any different from collecting stamps, coins or even teddy bears?  It's NOT!

Why do people have to treat others like trench coat wearing stalkers simply because they choose one particular hobby or another?  It's really weird!

If somebody is a consenting adult they should be able to do whatever they want as long as they aren't breaking laws or hurting others.

What consenting adults do within the confines of their own homes is nobody's business but their own.  I don't care if a person likes to rub fur all over their naked body.  (In fact, I highly recommend it! 😉 )  There's nothing wrong with enjoying fur... absolutely nothing.

It takes courage to be able to defend your choices.  How is liking fur or collecting teddy bears any different from something like drinking beer?

I think the first step is realizing that it's no different than anything else.  The second step is learning to live and let live when it comes to dealing with choices that people make.

If they don't like something you do and aren't willing to live and let live, you can tell them to go fly a kite!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I now have a collection of coats, mostly MINK, but just one FOX. I also have several FUR jackets, FOX, MINK,SABLE.

I make it a rule that I wear FUR every single day, with it fully visible. I don't care what others think, especially as in addition to the top FUR (ie coat or jacket), I wear a FUR scarf (MINK, FOX, or SABLE),  FUR gloves, and a FUR hat (FOX,MINK, SABLE).

I endevour therefore to wear at least 4 pieces of FUR. I just wear the FURs just as I would wear any other garment.

So, in answer to the thread,  just go  for it. Wrap yourself in your new (to you) FUR as a scarf, put a jacket on top, and just go out somewhere. Probably no-one will notice. And you are then on the blissful road to wearing FUR often.

Good luck