Fur identification

WilliGCoyote

Hi all! I need your folks help! I recently stumbled upon a fur coat and I'm not sure what type it is. The owner says it's rabbit fur but it looks like coyote to me. 

Any info would help💜

20200607_232433.jpg

20200607_232418.jpg

20200607_232509.jpg

Yeah my thoughts are either a mix of red fox and white fox or coyote of some type. I think touch will be the deciding factor. 

If the touch is all consistent and soft then it's probably fox but of you can clearly feel guard hairs then it's more like a coyote. 

I think it's coyote.

With this fur, there are course guard hairs visible at the surface with downy underfur below.  A definite clue that it's coyote, not rabbit.

If it was rabbit, the guard hairs wouldn't be so prominent.  It would be soft and fluffy all the way through.

7 hours ago, Worker 11811 said:

I think it's coyote.

With this fur, there are course guard hairs visible at the surface with downy underfur below.  A definite clue that it's coyote, not rabbit.

If it was rabbit, the guard hairs wouldn't be so prominent.  It would be soft and fluffy all the way through.

7 hours ago, furnz said:

Coyote, possibly summer skins.

17 hours ago, fluffa said:

Yeah my thoughts are either a mix of red fox and white fox or coyote of some type. I think touch will be the deciding factor. 

If the touch is all consistent and soft then it's probably fox but of you can clearly feel guard hairs then it's more like a coyote. 

On 6/8/2020 at 3:18 AM, vujo said:

Its coyote for me,hehehhehe

Hi all! I decided to buy this coat with your knowledge and it's Coyote Fur! I'm super happy with my purchase. Thank you all so much for the info. Means a ton.

• Thanks 1

Coyote is a nice fur.

A place I used to work, a wildlife education center, used to have a mounted coyote on display and they put a coyote pelt out for the kids to touch, as a decoy of sorts, so they wouldn't be so tempted to touch the taxidermy and risk spoiling it.

There were times when that coyote pelt was the center of attention.  Kids would gather around to touch the fur and listen to the educators lecture about wildlife.  Some kids would even put the pelt over their heads, look out through the eye holes and howl like a coyote!  😉

I have occasionally thought about getting myself a coyote fur coat to wear.

I hope you enjoy wearing yours!  👍

Any ideas on this one? Marketed as real fox fur, but it doesn't look like any fox I've seen. It's got markings for lynx I think, but doesn't look like dyed rabbit.

20200618_082500.jpg

No, I don't think it's fox, either.

It looks like either lynx or bobcat to me.  I'd guess that it's bobcat but I'm not standing firm on that.

Regardless, it's not fox but definitely some kind of "cat" fur.

("Cat" being used as a figure of speech...  meaning one of the large, wild cat species, NOT an actual house cat.)

Bobcat and lynx are compatible species that can interbreed so it could be a hybrid of the two, either by natural means or through captive breeding.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:24 AM, rabbitfur said:

Any ideas on this one? Marketed as real fox fur, but it doesn't look like any fox I've seen. It's got markings for lynx I think, but doesn't look like dyed rabbit.

20200618_082500.jpg

Looks like American Lynx

On 6/7/2020 at 8:25 PM, WilliGCoyote said:

Hi all! I need your folks help! I recently stumbled upon a fur coat and I'm not sure what type it is. The owner says it's rabbit fur but it looks like coyote to me. 

Any info would help💜

20200607_232433.jpg

20200607_232418.jpg

20200607_232509.jpg

Coyote