How much is too much for a fur coat?

Funinfox

I was looking at furs on ebay and found this one Russian Lynx coat , which started me thinking "how much is too much for a fur coat?".  For the price of that coat you could buy 20 to 30 or more fox coats. 

What do you all think? If you had the choice to make, would you choose this one Russian lynx coat or all the fur coats you could buy for the price of it? (for example all 13 items on sale by this seller Furs and Leather boutique only add up to about a third of the Russian lynx!)

I thought it was a russian sable at first.

I have to buy that in the store myself, no way i would make a deal over the net for that amount.

Maybe just because I have not felt a fur that expensive, but I have to think there is diminishing returns for value you receive per dollar spent.

I believe that fur does not have to be a luxury item; you can find beautiful furs in great shape for reasonable (even frugal) prices, if you try. I have spent less than the cost of one of the boutique furs from the ebay link to amass my collection, which I am proud of.

I am sure others value fur for different reasons than I do, and maybe that coat would be worthwhile. I could not ever justify spending anything resembling that.

If you have that money laying around - get all the furs from fur and leather boutique - and ask for more !

(just my two cents)

• Like 1

I would be very careful buying furs from Ebay.

Not necessarily because people try to cheat you but because most people who sell fur on Ebay don’t understand the product.

They don’t know the types of fur well enough to identify them correctly and you can’t examine the product before you buy... which is a big deal for me.  If I am going to fork over that kind of cash, I want to inspect the goods first.

I’ve seen an Ebay seller claim that “Rex Chinchilla” is a cross between a rabbit and a chinchilla.  When I contacted them to tell them that rabbits can’t breed with chinchillas because they are in a different scientific family from each other (Only the same genus or species can interbreed) the woman got snippy with me and blocked me.  (I reported the item and got it taken down. 😄 )

With that in mind, I wouldn’t trust your average Ebay seller to know the difference between mink and fox, let alone know the difference between Russian and Canadian lynx.

Unless you know the seller well enough to trust them, the only reason I would buy fur on Ebay is for a play fur... and I had the money to burn.

• Like 1

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've had three fabulous coats from eBay that have been absolute bargains! 

3 hours ago, dongleboy said:

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've had three fabulous coats from eBay that have been absolute bargains! 

If you're active enough, it don't have to be luck.

I couldn't even afford the pocket lint in a full length Russian  belly lynx or Russian Sable. I'd rather spend my money on a fox coat which can look just as appealing and its more appropriate for nordic and temperate climates

On 5/18/2020 at 4:48 PM, Funinfox said:

I was looking at furs on ebay and found this one Russian Lynx coat , which started me thinking "how much is too much for a fur coat?".  For the price of that coat you could buy 20 to 30 or more fox coats. 

What do you all think? If you had the choice to make, would you choose this one Russian lynx coat or all the fur coats you could buy for the price of it? (for example all 13 items on sale by this seller Furs and Leather boutique only add up to about a third of the Russian lynx!)

OMG I love that boutique. I'd love to buy something off them, but unfortunately a grand on a coat is out of my price range at the moment. If I had the money though, no-one else would be buying those coats coz I'd buy the whole damned lot looooool!!!

• 1 month later...

The coat in the photo you sent is made of Lynx fur but they used only the belly of the animal that is totall white, so thats why it is so expensive. In generall it depends on what you are searching for! For example you can easilly find a high quality mink coat for 2000 USD! If you want a more lavish fur material the price is more! Chinchilla coats costs 15.000 USD at least. Also sable coats 10.000 at least and for a Russian lynx coat like the photo you sent it will be 30.000 for a good quality and full belly white fur like your photo!