I need help with wearing a fur coat!

dongleboy

I try to keep as much of my own personality hidden at work, mainly since we're so busy that there's little time for chit-chat.  I once wore my sable scarf to work and regretted it since it just drew too much attention to my outside persona.  

furrybob

Hi,

I live in Worcester (UK), and about 4 years ago. I wore my MINK linen leather jacket on a shopping trip. As it was reversable, when I got to the town I reversed it so the black MINK was on the outside. I intended to re-reverse it before I went home. Just as I was about to do so, I thought 'what the heck', I won't and left the jacket as it was, MINK showing.

Well that was an epiphany. Since then I have worn my garments with the FUR showing. Also since that date I have increased my FUR wardrobe, and I now have 6 MINK coats (various designs/colours) and jackets and scarves, and hats.

Now I can't wait until September so that I can be enveloped in fur again.

Bob

dongleboy
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, furrybob said:

Hi,

I live in Worcester (UK), and about 4 years ago. I wore my MINK linen leather jacket on a shopping trip. As it was reversable, when I got to the town I reversed it so the black MINK was on the outside. I intended to re-reverse it before I went home. Just as I was about to do so, I thought 'what the heck', I won't and left the jacket as it was, MINK showing.

Well that was an epiphany. Since then I have worn my garments with the FUR showing. Also since that date I have increased my FUR wardrobe, and I now have 6 MINK coats (various designs/colours) and jackets and scarves, and hats.

Now I can't wait until September so that I can be enveloped in fur again.

Bob

Fantastic, Bob.  Thanks for that.

I know Worcester well since I'm a big Elgar fan!  I've often walked from the town centre to Lower Broadheath to visit The Elgar Birthplace at Crown East Lane. 

Yes, I'm looking forward to the colder weather as well.  If this goes well I'll, hopefully, be increasing my fur collection too. 

Robert

Edited by dongleboy
DuFc85

Thanks for an interesting and productive thread. Congratulations on having told your wife and sorting things out. 

As has been mentioned, a good place to start would be events or touristy places. If you are able to (time/money) take a weekend in Edinburgh, London or Prague. Stroll around the castles and crowded sights in your fur and your wife in hers.
You two will have your thing in common. It might just strengthen your love and relationship.

People might think you are a bit eccentric and talk about you when they are back at their Hotel, but thos people will never see you again. For them you will be an interesting observation and story at a party somewhere in Germany or Sweden. 

Racetracks are also an excellent opportunity as previously mentioned. 

• 2 weeks later...
dongleboy

Apologies for taking so long to reply!

Actually, I live in one of those cities so I've already work out a route and some places to visit.  Winter seems a long way off in this heatwave! 

• 1 month later...
dongleboy

Well, my coat is ready, cleaned and re-lined!  I was going to pop through to the west to pick it up but, alas, the virus is causing mayhem again so I've asked my furrier to post it go me.  Hoping it'll arrive next week some time.  😃.  

Ive not had any luck yet with finding someone to embroider my initials in said lining but I'll keep looking.  Mind you, if lockdown starts again I'll have nowhere to go in it!! 

That's very exciting to have a renewed mink coat ready for you to wear.  I hope that the relining was not too expensive.  Relining cost about $400 in the US.  One day, I will have enough courage to buy myself my own mink coat and tell my wife. 

In terms of embroidering, I think I suggested getting embroidered initials that the furrier can sew on the lining.  I have seen there labels sewn below the manufacturer label on the back of a coat on some coats on eBay.  These embroidered labels are like patches but with your initials.  

• 2 weeks later...
dongleboy

Well, the coat arrived last week, resplendent after being cleaned and with a new lining in situ.  Alas, it's not quite cold enough to wear it yet so I reckon it'll be another few weeks before I can justifiably wear it out.  Mind you, that's if anywhere is open! 

Regarding having my initials inserted in the lining, I enquired at a couple of local tailors who would do it, the only problem being that they wouldn't do it 'while you wait'.  They want to hang on to it for a few days which I'm not prepared to do.  I'm afraid  that it could be badly treated, for instance being left too close to a radiator or heat source. 

So, I ordered an embroidered patch from eBay that could be sewn into the lining although now it's arrived I find it could also be ironed in.  Much as I'd like a really fancy embroidered job this'll do until further investigations have yielded an alternative. 

Really happy with job my furrier has done.  

• Like 1