I need help with wearing a fur coat!

dongleboy

And so, life continues...  I keep wearing my full length mink and accept the odd looks I get as well as the occasional compliment.  I walked two miles this morning to collect my car which had been having an oil change and really appreciated the warmth the mink provided? (My face was frozen!) 

Really nothing to add except I wish I'd started wearing mink years ago.  I really want a collection of coats! 

• Like 2

I think I've mentioned that the coat I'm wearing just now is a black dyed full length mink that my wife used to wear.  Something I've noticed is that the coat seems to have 'blossomed' since I started wearing it a month ago.  It had been hanging in the wardrobe, unworn, for the past two years despite it having been cleaned and re-lined. 

I once read somewhere that furs like to be worn and this has proved the point. It's now more glossy than it was pre being worn. Or is it my imagination?!

I seemed to remember, years ago, the fur on the fur hats British Soldiers improved in the cold. This was a story many years ago.

Now you need a mink hat to go with the mink coat. 

I think I've now reached the happy stage where I completely forget I'm wearing a full length mink!  I still can't get my head round how incredibly warm it it is.  I went to fill up with petrol recently at a station that's extremely exposed to the freezing wind that blows from our local hills and I've always hated the cold that comes at this time of the year. Well, not anymore!

Alas, I seem to have torn the lining in the left sleeve which I attribute to keeping the coat fastened when I sit in the car. I suspect that it's had the damage caused when I stretch over to open the door for my wife.  I'm learning to unfasten it before I get in. The bottom hook and eye has also become a lot looser.  There's obviously a learning process attached to wearing a high quality mink. 

I let a young girl who volunteers in a local charity (thrift) shop try it on and she absolutely adored it. She was absolutely red in the face under her mask when she took it off. She did remark how heavy it is, something I've not really noticed myself.  😁

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 2:35 AM, minkme said:

I seemed to remember, years ago, the fur on the fur hats British Soldiers improved in the cold. This was a story many years ago.

Now you need a mink hat to go with the mink coat. 

Yes, I thought about investing in a mink hat but I think it might be a bit OTT!  😉

2 hours ago, dongleboy said:

Yes, I thought about investing in a mink hat but I think it might be a bit OTT!  😉

I agree with you for my personal preference. It’s a bit too much for me but others can pull it off! Glad you are enjoying your mink coat. I plan trying my new coat out for the first time when I visit family in Chicago for Christmas. VERY nervous since I have only worn a coat once in public and felt like people were staring at me. Hopefully I get some of your newly found confidence. Cheers!

Oh no, you tore the lining?  Was it your wife's coat? I hope she does not find out.  

I heard that you're not suppose to wear a fur while driving because it stresses the fur.  No that it is stressed because of the way you drive but fur has friction when you are sitting on it while driving.  Also that if you do wear it, unbutton the coat to relieve the stress. 

I am glad you guys are able to wear your minks outside.  I wish I could.  

That bottom hook when in the car is a weak point for sure... Ive got numerous coats that Ive got used, or just after years of using them that the bottom hook goes.. the hook either just rips from the coat, or the loop becomes loose and seperates...lining around shoulders/neck are bad for rips too if in the car and trying to reach for stuff... all your weight is on your butt and not giving anything above your butt anywhere to move, its tight against you, so the stitching has no choice but to let go.. this is worse on older coats since the threading is old and not as supple so it just breaks..

I have a full length coyote that has 5 hooks! Love being totally locked up in that one, but its definately and undo the bottom 3 when in the car... its almost difficult to walk sometimes with the 5th done up

Not only should you get a hat (fur of course), it is pretty essential to have a FUR scarf and fur gloves.

I absolutely need a hat as I don't have any hair.  I have several, 5 MINK, 3 FOX, 1 SABLE I chose which to match the coat I'm wearing. Also the scarf. Choose between MINK, RACOON, FOX, SABLE.

I usually wear 4 pieces, more (much more) when I can.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd do a quick update.  Today was a 'first' since I usually drive into town but today I took the bus.   I've just grown a wee bit too accustomed to the security of the motor car and decided I felt I wanted to be more exposed in a public place that's by its nature difficult to extricate oneself from.  Actually, due to lockdown both buses in and out of town were very quiet so it wasn't really an issue.

Town was busier than I've seen it recently but still quiet by the usual standards of a Saturday afternoon.  I wandered around the touristy places including our castle which has an unbelievably cold and exposed esplanade. Cold?  Not a chance!  I still marvel at how warm real fur is and can only marvel at how the cold just doesn't seem to exist.  I really wish I'd started wearing real fur years ago! 

I do get the occasional side glance from people who see me wearing it but I suspect that unless one really looks at me closely all they see is an oversized black coat. The obstacles have, inevitably, all been in my own head. 

I fid try an experiment though.  Up until now, I've been wearing my wife's huge black mink which fits me beautifully.  Having returned home, I decided to try the mink I bought last summer, the photos of which are up thread.  It's obviously more of a fur coat on first glance than the other one and the fit is not quite as 'roomy' as the black one.  I can fasten it up but it's not as comfortable as the black one. (Once I get back to the gym I'll be in better shape to wear it!) 

This time, I went out with my wife and we went to our local Marks & Spencer in an upmarket area near where we live.  We parked near a pedestrian crossing and Immediately we got out the car the lights changed to cross the road on foot. As we were half way over I was aware of a couple looking at me aghast and talking to each other.  Obviously, I don't give a damn but it was odd that at that exact spot another well heeled couple also gave me exactly the same reaction when I wore the black mink for the first time! 

There was a queue for M&S and due to the coat not being fastened I was much more aware of the cold. Again, I got some glances but who cares?! 

Today, on Pinterest I saw a wonderful photo of an outsize ankle length sable being worn at some polo meeting in San Moritz.  THAT is my ideal fur coat.  One day...

• Like 2

Good progress my friend.  Id' guess your wife didn't' mind you wearing your mink with her a the store?  I hope she didn't feel embarrassed that her Husband had a mink coat on and she didn't?

To be honest, my wife isn't the world's greatest fur enthusiast.  I think she's a bit relieved that she doesn't have to wear fur to please me. 

• 3 weeks later...

This recent winter weather has been a real bonus. I’ve worn my mink overcoat many times, usually paired with a fur hat. My wife’s not a fur wearer (she finds them too heavy) but is very happy to walk out with me. I’ve had no adverse comments and quite a few envious looks in the sub zero temperatures! Apart from my mink gilet (which I wear for around 5 months of the year), I’ve previously worn my furs mostly in Europe and in ski resorts. 

I don’t believe I’ll have any serious concerns from now on...

Absolutely! 

The cold weather is ample justification for wearing fur in public.  I was queuing to get into my local grocery store this morning and it was Baltic!  -5C with a strong wind. I had my back to the wind and was aware it was blowing but I really couldn't feel it thanks to my mink. 

Oddly enough, I had reason to go into work for an event the other day and didn't wear my mink. (I don't want to add to the gossip and I certainly want questions!)  I wore my usual jacket and it was hardly worth the bother. The wind just cut through it. Having worn real fur I could never consider going back to wearing anything else. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

At this point I don't care what people think. During the winter I wear my fur coats nearly anywhere. Even at a restaurant! 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 5/1/2020 at 5:17 PM, dongleboy said:

Hi Jimmy. How are you doing?  I'm in Edinburgh so I do see a bit of 'tourist' fur around although, to be honest, not much the last five or so years since our winters are getting wetter rather than colder.  Do you see much in London?  I've been lucky enough to see a few top quality garments on our infrequent visits to the capital. 

Best,

Robert

hi dongleboy i stay near edinburgh, i see few people wear fur so sad that more people don't wear fur