Furs from Greece

a_man_of_many_foxes

Anyone snag a fur from some of the Greece stores on eBay, etsy or something similar? Wondering what the quality is like. They claim to be much cheaper because they do not deal with a supplier. 1500-2000 USD is not unreasonable for a new mink coat to me, but here in Texas would cost much more from a salon. Let me know your thoughts and if you’re a fan of certain retailers! 

I have wondered the same thing. Are there ethics issues with how they source their fur, as there may be with other countries? How does Greek regulations compare to other countries?

I've bought several rex rabbit blankets from different Greek dealers on Etsy and EBay. Everything was very high quality and at a much lower price. Any Greek fur dealer with good feedback is likely gonna make you happy.

• Like 2

I bought a mink so I’ll let you know how it is :). My wife prefers the lightweight, non bulky type so will keep y’all posted. Reasonable price if everything goes correctly!

I too noticed overseas ebay furs, both new and pre-owned are fairly inexpensive.  Many are minks.  Please let us know how it all turns out.  Or if others here have purchased furs from Greece or Germany, how did they turn out?

This is the finished product of what we ordered from a seller in Greece. Quality looks great from photos. Not bad pricing at all.

780F37E2-1599-43BE-8430-C8BF6DB354D0.png

44A9E155-261A-4210-84A9-C59E5BBC5B5F.png

F93224E5-A901-4037-8D16-FBE7B7CFE263.png

90DBCE45-6AAB-4B6D-AF0A-BC2415186421.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the coat. First off, shipping was incredibly fast. Second, the coat is absolutely remarkable. Similar to something you would get in a fur salon at a much better price. If you have questions let me know, but this Greek dealer absolutely blew me away in quality and craftsmanship.

Dmb_furs and I’m not exactly sure where they are out of. Most likely Kastoria. I’ve bought furs from a few different Greek dealers and they have wowed me the most

I think the main factor is the fact that most of those European furriers deal with fur farms. You would think the skins would cost more because they are of higher quality, but since so many are produced the cost per skin is actually lower then what a trapper in North America would charge. There's a lot more uncertainty for a trapper going out on a trap line. The number of skins you get will determine what you charge for each one, as well as the overall quality of the skins. Then you have to worry about who you're going to sell the skins too. With the closure of NAFA, trappers will have to raise their prices because there will be fewer opportunities to sell. In Europe there is no shortage of furriers who are constantly looking for skins, and if you go to a European furrier it's more like going into a department store that has far more items available to choose from than a typical North American furrier would. The age of the department store furrier is over in America and most furriers are small family businesses now. The fact is the commodity is looked at and treated differently in Europe than it is here in North America. Everything about the way the industry is run in Europe, in my opinion, is far better than the way it's run inNorth America.

Edited by LustForFur

• 1 month later...

Greek furriers have a long history in the industry and some of them are really great producers, maybe the best in the world! If you are interested a mink coat i would propose you the brand Manzari, we have also Manzari coats in our online store https://www.hauteacorn.com/cat/fur-coats/mink-coat/ but we have only women coats right now, we make mens coats only with custom orders! You can contact Manzari brand for a custom order also they are really great producers and they use only mink pelts from the certified fur auctions and only the high quality mink pelts! They also accept orders for fox coats!