I snagged a vintage Chinchilla-trimmed coat for $50!

MinkMinx

Does anyone else on the Fur Den appreciate Vintage? There's just something lovely to me about a piece of history that has survived throughout the decades to make it to me; the older the better imo (maybe that's just me lol)

Anyway, the seller had it incorrectly labelled as mink trim. I just received it today, and I've never felt anything so soft. It feels like I'm stroking a dandelion. Am I terrible for not correcting the seller about their error? 😋 

Has anyone else ever scored a really great find due to sellers mislabeling?

• Like 1

I got a few like-new blue fox coats for crazy cheap because they were listed as rabbit. I live for finding these kinds of deals lol.

10 hours ago, Funinfox said:

Good finds indeed! But the mind boggles as to how anyone could possibly mistakenly list blue fox fur as rabbit 🤔.

Even when fur was popular it wasn't common knowledge to tell one apart from the other.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I feel like there's a lot of mislabelling going on. 

Though I feel people now are pricing their furs better than they used to. Vintage furs can still be sold for cheap but the fuller the coat and the longer it is, the price skyrockets. That wasn't the case even a couple of years ago. I bought what I think is a mink coat for really cheap and a full length really fluffy racoon fur for relatively cheap as well. I don't have them now, which is a shame, but whilst I think maybe people are mislabelling they're pricing better when they DO sell them. I don't usually trust anything that's priced as cheap but it's supposed to be mink or fox and it looks in good condition. 

That being said, I've got my eye on a jacket with a fur hood that's ridiculously cheap. Especially as I looked up the brand and the brand basically doesn't sell non-fur trimmed jackets at less than £1,000. The fur trimmed ones, even a basic jacket as opposed to a longer wool coat or the one I'm looking for which is a bit like a puffer, aren't selling for less than £3,000. 

So.....I'm being cautious, but, well if you knew the type of fur lining the hood, you'd understand why I'm gonna spend the money and take the risk. 

A good way I've found of making sure I'm getting the right thing, is ignoring coats and jackets that the poster doesn't post the care label of. Only when it's difficult to differentiate, obviously. I'm more in to satin than I am into fur persay, so it's not the same, but the amount of times, people label things as "silk" but the care label says polyester is ridiculous. Thanks to my years of scouring the internet for ways to feed my fetish and buying coats, dresses etc, I find it easier to differentiate between silk or polyester or acetate or good quality satin from back in the 80s/70s and 60s. But the care label trick is always handy. 

It's easier when they're not dyed but when they're more modern furs, sometimes it can look like fur when it's faux or it can look like fox but it's actually racoon or wolf or something. The one I've got my eye on says in the title that it's a certain fur, but the care label just say's that its' fur, not which type. So, looking up the brand helps because you can tell if the brand sells the type of extravagant fur that the poster says it is, or the quality that maybe the pics suggest, and the care label tells you if it's actually what they say it is, or if they're just ignorant. 

My rule: if I can't tell what it is, I can't find something like it online and I can't see a care label telling what material it is, I assume it's not what the poster says it is. Price sometimes gets taken into account, I figure that most people selling fake goods entice you by offering it cheap and claiming it's authentic so you think you're getting the real deal at a bargain, so if it's priced according to what I figure the materials used in the garment would force it to be priced at (sable's gonna go for thousands, rabbit's cheap, good quality fox usually goes for a few hundred, in the £300 - £900+ range) then it's probably legit and they're just useless at describing it properly, or it's a custom or it doesn't have a care label. But generally if I can't tell, I don't trust it. 

That's just my view.