The times we live in and PC...

MAINLYMINK

I have been going through old cuttings I have from magazines and papers (and I have a lot) and have to voice sadness, when I realize that so many of the old furriers and stores (department) that I knew, just twenty or thirty years ago, are gone.  Now California is banning (or has banned) sales of fur and people are debating whether the same should happen in Toronto (Canada!)  It is rather depressing.  This may have been a very mild winter, but I hardly saw any fur coats out and about.  I wonder if activists are actually having success?  Thoughts?

Toronto used to be such a wonderful place for fur, wholesale and retail. Is that all going by the wayside? 

It's all so unfortunate - the loss of jobs in this historic industry and the loss of warmth, comfort, and fashion for the consumer.

Oddly enough, I was just about to post that in reply to the person who asked about the ubiquity of furs from the 80's.  Yes, fur was everywhere and not just in 'real life'.  Characters on TV shows wore fur, you couldn't move for it in the glossy magazines and quiz shows and competitions often featured fur coats as prizes. 

I was in Milan just before Christmas and, as always, fur was in abundance!  I think it'll take some fast talking from the antis to persuade Europeans to forego theirs furs. Well, apart from the UK who are a lost cause as far as fur is concerned. 

Winnipeg had a mild winter in comparison to what we normally get... our typical normals in mid winter... low -25C high -13 or so... we typically get about 12-14 days of -30 or colder.. I think we had 3 this year they said...

Fur wise.. I think all winter I saw 4 other fur coats.. even on the "normal" temp days... I wore mine whenever I could, but seemed to be the only one! Like I posted on the 80s fur thread , we used to have 5 furriers within a 5 minute walk of one another in downtown Winnipeg, and probably 4-5 others in the city.. I think we have one left now, and one store doing repairs (I think they actually do alot of stuff for furhatworld, not alot of stock in the store, very few coats, some hats and mitts) The owner there is very nice Oriental gentleman... the main store thats open here is a grumpy guy well seems to me anyways.. now that The Bay has dropped selling furs, sir grumpy is the only store left with an "abundance" of coats..  

Sad to say I can only repeat and agree with the above comments. Simply said YES furs were very popular in the 80's. If you are a fan of "the power fox" that was the time to be amazed! I am not referring only to TV and media but actual encounters.  

<now that The Bay has dropped selling furs> 

WHAT???!  Is this really true?  😞

I referred earlier to magazine cuttings; but also -- remember when even the Sunday newspapers were filled with adverts?  The Sunday NYT was wonderful for the gorgeous big page spreads for fur sales and that sort of thing.  Recently, it has been more on the subject of "Closing down our fur department -- sale" (Bloomingdales and Macy's)

Edited by MAINLYMINK

By the way, I didn't mean to start a separate thread as competition to the one titled something to do with the '80s...perhaps it was silly of me?