did people wear fur alot like they seem to have done in the 1980s

furlover362436

Okay i am 24 and i haven't seen a woman wear a full length fox fur coat in public since 2009. I remember growing up when i was in elementary school i was in an after school program their was  woman who pick up her kids in a full length Crystal Fox fur coat. I was 7-10 years old at the time when i was in the after school program and i remember i would always enjoy seeing her in that full length fox fur coat. I would love to see more women wearing full length fox fur coats out in public. I go on pinterest and look at women in full length fox fur coats and all of the ads/pictures are from the 80s. I also go on YouTube and watch videos of women wearing fur coats in either fur coat commercials or on TV shows/movies and they are also from the 80s. And lastly I also go on the newspaper archive site called newspapers.com and i look at ads of furriers from the 1980s and all of the photos in the ads show women wearing full length fox fur coats. I am curious for all those who grew up in the 80s did you see a lot of women wearing full length fox fur coats?, did you know any women who owned full length fox fur coats, do you have stories of women you knew in the 1980s who really wanted full length fox fur coats or some stories of women you know who got full length fox fur coats like as a Christmas or birthday gift and they were super happy.

Oh yes!  There was a lot of fur around in the 60's, 70's and 80's!  Even if a woman couldn't afford a fur coat she at least aspired to one.  It was pretty common in the U.K. to see women wearing fur at everything from shopping to big nights out.  I look back at these times and realise how lucky we were that fur was so ubiquitous.  And then came the anti - fur brigade and that notorious advert where a woman is modelling a fur coat on a runway and the audience get showered with blood...

it wasn't uncommon for girls at my high school to wear 'hand me down' furs when it was cold.  A girl I knew in the local school's orchestra had a full length musquash that she'd been given by an aunt.  I do remember one beauty who hung with the smokers had an ankle length mink!  (She treated it with tremendous disdain and would drop it on the floor in class.  She was WAY out my league but I do remember her cigarettes falling out of the pocket and me picking them up and her giving me a big smile!)

There were often women wearing fur in the big department stores in town and it wasn't uncommon to see groups of women wearing fur.  The most common was musquash but fox was also popular. Mink less so but it was still around.  It wasn't unusual to sit next to a woman wearing fur on the bus or train and it was nice when that happened. 

My own mother had two full length minks and a jacket but she stopped wearing them in the 80's when it became less 'acceptable' .  I used to urge her to wear one if her and I went out and she would reply 'All right but you have to protect me if I anyone throws paint!'   Of course, that never happened but I think the pleasure of wearing her furs was diminished.   I used to love carrying her coat and holding it for her to put on.   When I was a little boy she'd wrap me in her over-sized mink when we sat at a station.  No wonder I grew to love furs!  

And then, all of a sudden fur wearing was less common and it was only a strong woman who would keep wearing fur so as to prove she wouldn't be bullied whereas gentle souls like mum left their furs in the back of the wardrobe.  And now it's rare to see women wearing fur. The occasional tourist will be seen wearing a mink but not much more and even then there's less than twenty years ago. 

I suppose we didn't realise how lucky we were in those days. 

How often did you see women wearing full length fox fur coats? And when youre mom wore her fur coats did she ever get like jealous looks from other women or women coming up to her and complimenting her coat

I don't specifically remember full length fox furs but I suppose they must have been around at that time.   I don't remember my mother getting positive or negative remarks about her furs since it was so much more common then.  

I do remember a night when the power went down and wakening up with my mother's mink over me. I must have been about 10 years old then.  

I lived in the Chicago area all my life and back in the 80's there were furriers on almost every street corner. It was the Starbucks of its day. I personally knew a few people who owned fox jackets during that period but I don't recall ever seeing any full length fox coats in person until 2004 during a routine trip to visit my relatives outside Aspen. A saw maybe two or three full length coats at Denver Airport when my family were walking to our gate. Then a few years later during the Thanksgiving Parade on Michigan Ave I saw a few more furs worn by several different ladies that night at the Drake Hotel

Oh yes... the furs in the 80s!! Even until the early 90s, then it stopped... 

I remember downtown Winnipeg having about 5 furriers within a 5 minute walk from one another.. if you didnt see a fur coat, something was wrong..

2 of my early grade teachers had full length raccoon coats, my mom had a full length raccoon and mink... my friends mom had a full length coyote with huge fox sleeves.. always wanted to crawl into that coat but never got the chance...

going to univesity early 90s still remember one girl always wearing a full length coyote and another on the bus occasionaly in a full length red fox..

I used to drive my mom to work then proceed to the park to go for a walk all wrapped up in a full length coyote or raccoon... always used to see one other woman walking with a red fox jacket and hat... then it just seemed out of nowhere... it all disappeared, now all winter you see maybe 5 coats even though its -30...

-12 and -13 overnite lows returning for me early next week... looks like the last opportunity to wear fur outdoors... temp reversal coming with highs +17... go figure... weather in Canada.

5 hours ago, WinnipegFur said:

I remember downtown Winnipeg having about 5 furriers within a 5 minute walk from one another.. if you didnt see a fur coat, something was wrong..

2 of my early grade teachers had full length raccoon coats, my mom had a full length raccoon and mink... my friends mom had a full length coyote with huge fox sleeves.. always wanted to crawl into that coat but never got the chance...

going to univesity early 90s still remember one girl always wearing a full length coyote and another on the bus occasionaly in a full length red fox..

I used to drive my mom to work then proceed to the park to go for a walk all wrapped up in a full length coyote or raccoon... always used to see one other woman walking with a red fox jacket and hat... then it just seemed out of nowhere... it all disappeared, now all winter you see maybe 5 coats even though its -30...

-12 and -13 overnite lows returning for me early next week... looks like the last opportunity to wear fur outdoors... temp reversal coming with highs +17... go figure... weather in Canada.

I still think this happened for a bad reason.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/03/04/sanders-black-women-owning-fur

During Sanders’ research on the history of fur, she discovered a quote from Paula Marie Sanders that resonated with how her mother felt: “As soon as black women could afford to buy mink coats, white society and white women said fur was all wrong, verboten, passé.”

Good point!

I've often wondered if there's a degree of anti-semitism attached to the anti-fur protests since so many furriers were of Jewish descent.  

16 hours ago, WinnipegFur said:

Did women ever comment on you’re moms full length raccoon coat ever!

23 hours ago, dongleboy said:

Good point!

I've often wondered if there's a degree of anti-semitism attached to the anti-fur protests since so many furriers were of Jewish descent.  

Not sure if they minded where they got the furs, since a lot of western history is rooted in exploitation. But that the exploited now got to benefit from that...

Yes furs was very popular in the 1970s and 1980s.  I when I was dating, I would get invited out with my girlfriend's family.  The Mom would wear her mink coat or jacket when we go out for dinner.  Back then, one would have to dress up and wear a tie when going out for dinner.  I would have to keep an extra tie for those occasions.  

On 4/11/2020 at 12:28 AM, furlover362436 said:

Did women ever comment on you’re moms full length raccoon coat ever!

No... I used to and still wear my Mom's old raccoon, she stopped wearing her furs, I said heck if you're not wearing it ,I will!  I love that old 80s style huge collar that went 85% up the back of your head and so high on the sides you can't see sideways.. no one has ever said anything to be honest... could honestly care less which way the clasps do up... raccoon seems like one of those anyone can wear it coats in my opinion... 

I guess your Mom had not objection to you wearing her raccoon coat?  Was her raccoon coat from the 1970s? Do you have a picture of the coat?

Yes the style in the 1970s and earlier had large collars . Those were neat and it protects the face very well in the winter.  The 1980s, it seems like the collars on women coats got smaller.  Guys coats on the other hand, had large collars.  

That's great that she does not mind you wearing her raccoon coat. 

Unfortunately in the San Francisco Bay area, there are no longer fur stores and people do not wear furs much anymore.  

In the 1970s and 1980s, there were still ladies wearing furs, usually to fancy occasions but it was still nice to see.  At some restaurants, some will have their coats dropped of at coat check and some will simply leave it on their chair 

Mid April in Winnipeg and in all honesty you could still legit wear a fur coat.. its going to -9C on Monday night... 

The snow is 90% gone... I left home for work in a coat the other day, but by the time its time to come home, -10C is now +10C 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 2:14 PM, LordTheNightKnight said:

I still think this happened for a bad reason.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/03/04/sanders-black-women-owning-fur

For a left leaning media outlet, it was nice to see them paint PETA in a less than stellar light. It was also nice to see a thoughtful, well worded story on a woman of color and what a fur heirloom means to her. I'm hoping that this is the start in a paradigm shift in public perception. The article cited an example of PETA's insane dogma by comparing seal clubbing to civil rights protesters being assaulted. Between that and the ad campaign declaring wool as cruel, I'm beginning to think that PETA might be derailing itself (fingers crossed).

1 hour ago, Shy_Fur_Guy said:

For a left leaning media outlet, it was nice to see them paint PETA in a less than stellar light. It was also nice to see a thoughtful, well worded story on a woman of color and what a fur heirloom means to her. I'm hoping that this is the start in a paradigm shift in public perception. The article cited an example of PETA's insane dogma by comparing seal clubbing to civil rights protesters being assaulted. Between that and the ad campaign declaring wool as cruel, I'm beginning to think that PETA might be derailing itself (fingers crossed).

Yeah lets hope so but still the killing of animals for fur or meat has to be done the right way. Not by clubbing animals to death. We all have to do the right thing and as a animal lover but also someone who loves to wear fur and use it there has to be a balance. If we can turn that stigma around of how killing of animals then maybe furs could return. Altho i wouldnt say that someone wearing a real fur even now is uncommon. I still see the odd real fur here in the uk. If u meet a anti fur then its simply wrong time wrong place.  But yeah loved the powerful 80s furs.

1 hour ago, blakeymikey said:

Yeah lets hope so but still the killing of animals for fur or meat has to be done the right way. Not by clubbing animals to death. We all have to do the right thing and as a animal lover but also someone who loves to wear fur and use it there has to be a balance. If we can turn that stigma around of how killing of animals then maybe furs could return. Altho i wouldnt say that someone wearing a real fur even now is uncommon. I still see the odd real fur here in the uk. If u meet a anti fur then its simply wrong time wrong place.  But yeah loved the powerful 80s furs.

Oh geez. I hope you don't think I was advocating the clubbing of animals for pelts. That was the furthest thing from my point. I was trying to get at the fact that PETA seemed to minimize the trials of the African American community by making the comparison to baby seals in the first place. 

PETA went off the rails years ago. They're basically in the same league as flat-earthers or anti-vaxxers. Most people know they're nuts but there's always the small vocal minority that buys into their crap and likes to stir drama.

I remember as a young teenager I became a vegetarian and declared myself a member of PETA (how things have changed 🤣) and even a decade ago people were telling me how PETA was crazy and it was common knowledge that they faked their own "evidence".

From my experience, most people today don't really care whether someone wears fur, as much as they care if the animals were treated and killed humanely (which immediately rules out China, to be frank). And on the whole, animals raised for fur are generally treated better than animals raised for meat, since physical and metal health actually affect the condition of an animal's fur. It's a shame so many European fur farms are shutting down because that will inevitably shift all production to China, which does not treat animals humanely. That's the reason fur quality is generally poorer. An animal that's stressed out and malnourished is obviously not going to have fur as nice as an animal that is well taken care of. 

@minkiminx I was listening to a Fur Talks podcast from 5 months ago and they were discussing with a few guests what it was like working in a controversial industry. I was shocked to hear that one of them was a vegan. Apparently they put aside whatever distaste they migt have had in favor of what they deemed to be a more sustainable and ecologically friendly material. So, you can be vegetarian/vegan and be pro-fur.

On 4/10/2020 at 8:39 AM, WinnipegFur said:

Hey Winnipeg, you'll be encouraged to learn that young people are getting back into furs, big time! Here in Ottawa there's a specific bar I frequent. It's called the Moscow Tea Room. On any given winter night, as long as the temperatures are low, you can see people of all ages wearing their furs outside the bar. Last year I ran into a group girls in their early 30s, all wearing full length foxes, raccoons, and beaver. I happened to be wearing my mink jacket. They invited me to drinks and that's when I saw even more fur clad women of all ages. I even saw a gay couple on a date; one of them was wearing a sharp looking suit with a silver fox skin flung over his shoulder! He was no older than mid-late 20s. Fortunately, a lot of young people have come around to wearing natural materials and they accept fur as one of those materials. They haven't been sucked in by PETA's bullshit, I'm happy to report!

The fur lovers are out there, you just gotta know where to look.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 5:07 PM, LustForFur said:

Hey Winnipeg, you'll be encouraged to learn that young people are getting back into furs, big time! Here in Ottawa there's a specific bar I frequent. It's called the Moscow Tea Room. On any given winter night, as long as the temperatures are low, you can see people of all ages wearing their furs outside the bar. Last year I ran into a group girls in their early 30s, all wearing full length foxes, raccoons, and beaver. I happened to be wearing my mink jacket. They invited me to drinks and that's when I saw even more fur clad women of all ages. I even saw a gay couple on a date; one of them was wearing a sharp looking suit with a silver fox skin flung over his shoulder! He was no older than mid-late 20s. Fortunately, a lot of young people have come around to wearing natural materials and they accept fur as one of those materials. They haven't been sucked in by PETA's bullshit, I'm happy to report!

The fur lovers are out there, you just gotta know where to look.

Thats good to hear... in Winnipeg we probably get one of the harshest winter climates in the country and yet you see nothing for fur to be honest.... now we are on a total temp reversal and the temp have been in the 80s for the last week!! Good ole Winnipeg one extreme to another haha