Someone got taken for a ride

Tu_che_le_vanità

Ohhhhh yes, big time. The really sad part is the person selling the item may not have even been aware of what they were selling.  I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that it was not deliberate.  I correct many sellers on what their listings actually are, and usually I will get a grateful response along the lines of they inherited the coat, were told differently, etc., and then correct the listing.  Many people are simply ignorant of fur, and guess what they have.  That can be hard for people like us to understand, as fur is so central to our lives.  Of course it is also possible that one is trying to pull a fast one.

Ignorance is an all-too-common occurrence on ebay. If they're not the people who tend to think that simply because it's fur then it must be worth thousands' of dollars, then they are sometimes the people who get things wrong - I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen rabbit referred to as mink, mink referred to as sable, muskrat referred to as fox, etc.

If I'm honest, I've also been fortunate to have the opposite work in my favour too where ignorant sellers have netted me a lynx cape (referred as mink) and a chinchilla jacket (referred as rabbit). Needless to say, both purchases were for a considerable amount less than what I should've got them for

Swings and roundabouts, I guess...

The most common mistake I have ever seen repeatedly is blue fox labeled silver fox.  An understandable mistake to the uninitiated perhaps, but annoying nevertheless.

6 hours ago, lynxette said:

The most common mistake I have ever seen repeatedly is blue fox labeled silver fox.  An understandable mistake to the uninitiated perhaps, but annoying nevertheless.

This, yes. A very common labeling mistake on eBay.

Mink is kinda like the generic name for fur, for example like Kleenex is for all tissues.  People have heard of having a mink coat so often, especially since the 1950's, that if it is a real fur it has to be mink.

I once massively benefited from 'fur ignorance' in a thrift shop when I purchased a 'rabbit skin stole' that I recognised as Russian Sable!  £5 was the asking price although it cost considerably more to have re-modelled into the scarf I've been wearing with tremendous enjoyment for the last 25 years!