Fur ID

Tu_che_le_vanità

From what I can see of the pics, yes it is real sheared beaver.  If you look closely at the different shadings on the pics showing the lining, of the fur along the edges, it definitely looks like the sheared beavers I own, and is much more nuanced in shade and colour to be faux.  Sheareds are very difficult to identify from photos, but this seller has provided closeups, and I would say it is as advertised.  The price is a bit lower than I would expect even for a used fur however.

Don't think so, as the under fur of river otter is shorter napped than this from my experience.  Photos of short haired furs are difficult to work with for identification.  What makes you think river otter?  Seal, when it was actually seal before the labeling laws of the 1950's was more often black dyed than brown, and again the nap was different than this.  I have owned both at various times.

Edited by lynxette

The texture and nap do not suggest this coat is sheared beaver to me. Plus, the long vertical sections more closely resemble a river otter's shape than a beaver's. Also, the dark reddish copper color and the particular sheen suggest river otter to me.

Okay, so in essence your thoughts are suppositions the same as mine, based upon best guess and experience, nothing more.  The length of the pelts has nothing to do with the type of fur, due to the letting put process.  The colour can be dyed, which we cannot tell, due to no pics of the skin side of the pelts.  The texture and nap are much closer to beaver in pics i have seen,, as well as the fact that otter is sheared much less commonly than beaver, so the  chances of encountering a sheared otter is by far less than sheared beaver.  All of these factors are going into my best estimate , and of course it is only an estimate, that this is sheared beaver.  Absent any other conclusive evidence, such as more closeup, pics, pics of the skin side of the pelts, or an actual physical examination, your guess is as good as mine, so continuing to belabor this point is literally pointless.  As I recall you were the one who started the thread by asking the question, indicating by default that you have no positive idea either.  Sheared furs always very difficult to positively id from most photographs period.  Actual physical examination is nearly always required in all cases to be absolutely certain.

Edited by lynxette