Fur Store Closing in Millwaukee, USA

minkme

Another fur store is closing in the USA.  Only one fur store left in Milwaukee. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2020/02/26/milwaukees-oldest-business-mitchell-street-holzman-furs-closing/4824555002/

Conrad "Connie" Holzman and his family business Holzman Furs on Historic Mitchell Street are admittedly old school. 

"Made In America" is the only sign of quality he wants to see.

And he hates online shopping.

"Nowadays, what you buy is crap," Holzman said. "The reason you're buying online is because you're lazy." 

Holzman Furs, where shoppers for decades could find mink coats, sable stoles and beaver hats, is closing at the end of the month, and Mitchell Street will lose its oldest business. 

Holzman wears a shirt and tie every day to work at his store, one that's been in business for about 100 years on Mitchell Street.

"If you carry decent merchandise then you shouldn't dress like a slob," he said. He used to wear suits but sweaters are easier now that he's 88.

He's kept his family's business where it always has been — on Milwaukee's south side. While other shops and department stores left the declining business district, Holzman remained, most recently at 1111 W. Historic Mitchell St., 

But there's a time for everything to end, and it's closing time for the furrier.

"I really don't want to," Holzman said. "I would like to continue but I can't do it."

Holzman has run the store well past traditional retirement age simply because he likes working.

But he can no longer see the furs he sells. His eyesight is reduced to mostly shadows, he said. He spends most days in his office, next to a wall of Post-it Notes that he can no longer read.

Sometimes, he'll take his walker out onto the sales floor where there's a chair for him to sit and talk to customers. Mostly, he likes to say, he aggravates people with his chitchat amid the racks of merchandise priced to sell.

The offerings are a mix of unsold goods, coats that were stored or cleaned and never claimed and Holzman's own collection. A mink stroller once priced at $20,250 is now listed for $8,950.

The unclaimed furs are brought to Holzman for him to price by feeling the hairs for texture and quality with his expert touch. 

Holzman has pared down his own collection of furs. He used to have many but now wears just two. He has a long fur-lined cashmere coat and a reversible mink and leather jacket he wears when it's cold enough. A plain old leather jacket keeps him warm the rest of the year.

The store has been his entire life. 

Holzman grew up above his father's store at 633 W. Historic Mitchell St. next to bridal gown shops, department stores and other retailers. He was helping out cleaning coats by age 9. At 10, he was skinning muskrats.

Holzman worked there after school and on weekends. When he graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1953, Holzman's career as a full-time furrier began. He took over the business from his dad in 1972. 

In 1984, he moved the store from its longtime spot at 633 W. Historic Mitchell St. a few blocks west. A Dollar General store now occupies that old lot.

Holzman Furs' 5,000 square-foot store took up just part of the old Grand Department Store, an art deco building built in 1937. His former wife Phyllis and business advisers told him to move away from Mitchell but he chose to remain, thinking the area would make a comeback. It never did, he said.  

"I remember as a kid coming down here with my mom because this (Mitchell Street) was a place to shop," customer Sharon Rothstein, 80, said at the store Saturday. "I'm sorry that it isn't anymore. I really am." 

All the old department stores have closed. The Modjeska Theatre is closed. A day labor business is now moving into the former Schuster's Department Store.  

"It looks like a blighted area now," said LaMarr Franklin, who bought a chinchilla jacket for himself. "It was booming before." 

A strip of Mitchell Street from South Sixth and South 13th streets is part of the Historic Mitchell Street Neighborhood Conservation Overlay Zone that encourages the development of shops, restaurants and other retail uses.  

"As with many commercial corridors in the city of Milwaukee over the years, there have been many changes," said Nancy Bush, the executive director of the Historic Mitchell Business Improvement District. "What we’re finding now is much more cultural diversity." 

Lopez Bakery, which started in 1973, is likely now the longest-running business on the street, Bush said. 

"All of us on Mitchell certainly hate to see that very long term business close," said Bush, adding that she hopes another retail business takes the place of Holzman Furs. 

Sales at Holzman Furs have declined in the last few years.

The store hit its peaks in the early 1980s and 1990s, Holzman said. A daughter, Susy Holzman Sennett, operated a second location, Holzman Furworks, in Mequon for about a year. It closed in 2009 and she is no longer involved in the business.

Another factor was the animal rights movement. The backlash against killing animals to create garments from fur curtailed his business, Holzman said. 

"Animals to me are precious but they die," he said. "I just don't understand this. Furs, believe it or not, are biodegradable. Plastic is not biodegradable." 

The Holzman closing will leave Milwaukee with just one fur store, A.J. Ugent Furs at 8333 W. Capitol Drive. The Ugent family has sold furs since 1922. Rodney Ugent remembers picking up furs for cleaning from at least 58 furriers in the Milwaukee area.

"They're all gone," Ugent said. With each local store closing, he sees an uptick in business. His sales are increasing, with around 20% coming from online shoppers.

The Holzman building, owned by Madison-based Wisconsin Bank and Trust, is up for sale. The bank acquired the property in a foreclosure auction last year, according to state real estate records. 

Holzman hates hearing people say they're sad to see small retailers go out of business. "Why the hell didn't you buy from them to keep them going?"

He's moved to Thiensville where he has an apartment in an assisted living building. One of his employees drives him to work every day in his Lincoln MKS.

He's probably the only person in his complex who still goes to work.

Holzman, who easily talks about Mitchell Street's prime, clams up when thinking about what he will do without the store.

He knows the assisted living complex has programs for its residents.

"They have activities," he said. "I don't know if I like them. I've never done them. I've been at work." 

When the store closes, Holzman will stop wearing a tie daily. He doesn't care what replaces his shop on Mitchell Street. Now, he'll finally have the time to see if he likes bingo. 

Sarah Hauer can be reached at [email protected] or on Instagram @HauerSarah and Twitter @SarahHauer. Subscribe to her weekly newsletter Be MKE at jsonline.com/bemke

Very sad news. We have, as far as I know, one furrier left in Scotland.  One furrier for a population of almost five and a half million!  Unbelievable!  

The main reason for this worldwide is that there is no one left to carry on the businesses once this generation retires.  Not enough people are learning the fur business, at least not in the West, and this has been the ongoing result for many years now.  Very sad, but I do wish Connie all the best for a long and happy retirement.

• 2 weeks later...

A very a sad day for a fur lover in Milwaukee. I only went once, because I really had no interest in going into the neighborhood they are/were located in. 

Winnipeg is the same... I remember in the 80s 6 furriers in downtown area within a 5 minute walk of one another.. now there is one and he's kind of a grumpy guy.. I bought a coyote parka from him once and was looking at all the other coats (full length fox) and he made the comment of how those coats are for ladies.. I continued to look.. back of my mind I was thinking who really gives a #### which way it does up.. like does it reallly matter.... I always found the female sales people nicer to deal with.. never a problem trying anything on, in fact they encouraged it...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, FurIsDead said:

Every fur store going out of business is good news. Decent compassionate people have no interest in fur. Designers are no longer using fur in their collections. They got the message that consumers care about animals. No animal should suffer on a fur farm to satisfy human vanity. Furthermore, it's been documented that animals on Chinese fur farms are stunned by clubbing and then skinned while still alive. The animals can survive for up to 10 minutes after being. Can you imagine their agony? Not when you're the type of shallow, vain and self-absorbed person who wears fur. 

Fur farmers claim their product is green but this is another lie. Furs have to be treated with chemicals so they don't degrade, and fur farms produce pollution like any other factory farm. Each mink produces about 40 pounds of feces during his or her short life. Mink farms near bodies of water can have a negative impact on water quality. No one wants a house near a mink farm because of the odor. 

Goodbye and good riddens to Holzmann Furs. 

Why are you here?  I'm sure none of us would go to an anti-fur site and try to push our agenda.  Go and troll somewhere else. 

• Like 1