Help with identification

araroakate

Hey there! I'm hoping someone can help with advice on this coat I've found at a secondhand shop. It claims to be mountain lion, but I've endlessly googled and cannot find another example of mountain lion and it seems like its not something thats done. I think it may possibly be coyote. Also wondering if it seems like a reasonable price for the condition.  I have no experience with fur but love the 1970s vibe of this one and would love to purchase or have something similar made. 

https://huntersandcollectors.net.nz/products/mountain-lion-1970s-fur-jacket

This is a discoloured with age blue fox sections jacket.  Very popular at that time, or even now, as it is relatively inexpensive to produce.  The coyote guess is a good one, as the colours of beige and yellow definitely give that impression, but are simply due to the natural aging process of the fur and the likelihood that it was not cared for and cleaned regularly by a furrier.  BTW, the yellowing is a warning as to the overall integrity of the skins that cannot be seen in photos, as they can become brittle with age and can literally fall apart.  Not necessarily here, but keep this in mind.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

The jacket is blue fox, as Lynxette said. And it got style.

Until the 80ies shops used all kinds of names for furs. Recently I was in contact with someone who sold an old coyote which he first thought to be a wolf.

I don't know about price for secondhand fur in New Zealand, but NZD 1400 seems much too high given the type and condition of the coat. I would pay maybe 100 € (around NZD 150) for it. You got Ebay down there? Instead of paying NZD 1400 I would rather spend a little more for a new coat.

How is it in New Zealand, is it common to wear fur coats?

Agreed with the above about older blue fox coat. White/blue coats are beautiful when new, but when they are a bit older they will also get slightly yellow unfortunately. I would not pay top dollar for that. If you are looking to get into it, start used so you don’t burn a whole in your pocket. Great used furs are far and few between but they are out there. I have a few used that are absolutely stunning, but I have a few that are brand new and are without a doubt flawless, but again, I guess it’s just what you are comfortable spending. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Folks on this site know their furs pretty well