Joaquin Phoenix's Oscar speech last night

Tu_che_le_vanità

Any thoughts about his speech?

Joaquin Phoenix talked in his acceptance speech about cows being artificially inseminated, having their calves taken away from them, and then humans using the milk to put in their coffee. He also talked about humanity's exploitation of the earth for natural resources.

Renée Zellweger mentioned Dolores Huerta in her acceptance speech.

I saw the ceremony on TV. I did not notice anyone wearing fur. At the Golden Globes last month, a blonde middle-aged white woman wore a gray mink cape or stole.

Sad to say fur is toxic now.The animal rights people are attacking on all fronts ( and mostly winning) I believe Hollywood follows the popular trend even if dictated by a bunch of simplistic fools. These "stars" will jump on any band wagon that will butter their bread in our lame whiney ass culture. Feel free to express yourself and be your own person, just make sure you do it in away that is accepted by everyone. OH dear, I think I ranted again!   BTW , I miss the furs too!  

Phoenix has been a vegan for many years and an animal rights activist for a long time. He narrated the animal rights propaganda film Earthlings. His animal rights beliefs are sincere and not the result of jumping on any bandwagon.

Sincere or not, he is a hypocrite as are all other animal rights activists, due to the simple and undeniable fact that everything produced on this planet in some way involves the killing of animals.  Period.  Selectively picking out certain situations to lecture others about is completely unacceptable, when one is doing in other ways exactly what one is condemning. 

Precisely Lynxette. Where does Joaquin and these other actors think the battery acid in their electric cars or their movie cameras comes from? Battery acid mostly animal byproduct. Its made from sulfuric acid. That stuff is in our guts, man...its what helps humans and animals digest their last meal.

Vegan or vegetarian is a lifestyle choice and I'm happy to let them be what they want, just as I have chosen to be an omnivore I expect them to respect my choice and not try to lecture me on the wrongs of eating animal flesh especially when  that argument comes from some smug pompous self righteous prick who thinks he holds the moral high ground.

In all their arguments they always fail to remember the thousands of acres of rainforest that disappear annually to provide land to grow soya beans for them to turn into synthetic meat with all the looks and textures and tastes of the same. If that isn't the ultimate act of hypocrisy then I don't know what is. Yet they continue to expound the righteousness of their cause; stop the farming of beef cattle, no more dairy herds, no more sheep for meat or wool, no more pets or seeing eye dogs because that's an exploitation of animals as well. But rendering animals homeless and bringing some species to extinction by destroying their habitats is okay if you do it for their noble cause, and lets not forget the reintroduction of rickets for children as their primary source of calcium and vitamin c is removed from their diet. Conveniently not once do the mention what is to become of all these animals they have liberated. Are they to be looked after by their former owners for nothing or perhaps they would suggest culling them. A difficult topic they manage to avoid time after time after all when you're the smug pompous prick you can just make it someone else's problem and blame them for it.

35 minutes ago, Furever Heidi said:

Vegan or vegetarian is a lifestyle choice and I'm happy to let them be what they want, just as I have chosen to be an omnivore I expect them to respect my choice and not try to lecture me on the wrongs of eating animal flesh especially when  that argument comes from some smug pompous self righteous prick who thinks he holds the moral high ground.

In all their arguments they always fail to remember the thousands of acres of rainforest that disappear annually to provide land to grow soya beans for them to turn into synthetic meat with all the looks and textures and tastes of the same. If that isn't the ultimate act of hypocrisy then I don't know what is. Yet they continue to expound the righteousness of their cause; stop the farming of beef cattle, no more dairy herds, no more sheep for meat or wool, no more pets or seeing eye dogs because that's an exploitation of animals as well. But rendering animals homeless and bringing some species to extinction by destroying their habitats is okay if you do it for their noble cause, and lets not forget the reintroduction of rickets for children as their primary source of calcium and vitamin c is removed from their diet. Conveniently not once do the mention what is to become of all these animals they have liberated. Are they to be looked after by their former owners for nothing or perhaps they would suggest culling them. A difficult topic they manage to avoid time after time after all when you're the smug pompous prick you can just make it someone else's problem and blame them for it.

The soy that is grown in the Brazilian Amazon region and Cerrado region is used for animal feed, not the production of plant-based "meat". A lot of those soybeans end up in Europe and China to feed pigs and chickens on factory farms.

Rickets is caused by lack of vitamin D, not vitamin C. Lack of vitamin C causes scurvy.

• 2 weeks later...