Crafting with furs

rabbitfur

Have you ever created your own fur items? Re-tooled a coat?

I have two lynx coats that were not in great shape when I got them, so now I'm sewing them together into a throw blanket. Lots of progress to make before pictures are worth sharing. 😀

I know there are some craftspeople on here... Hoping to share success stories, tips, and ideas!

I've looked up some of the information on the internet on this subject, but it is very scarce. There are a few good free videos on the saga furs website which I would really recommend watching if you are a newbie. Do you have a fur sewing machine or are you using a regular one? 

I am learning how to sew by hand for this project, and would dare to say it has gone well so far. My understanding is fur sewing machines are very expensive.

There are several YouTube tutorials for sewing fur by hand (sometimes faux). I will find some links when I'm on my desktop later.

I've sewn with fur before, using needle and thread, not fur sewing machine.  It was really difficult.  Very time consuming and laborious.  The first time, I sewed a small piece of farmed golden Russian sable onto a pillow using a regular sewing needle.   The second time, I sewed a piece of bobcat grotzen fur onto the collar of a sheep's wool jacket.  I used a leather sewing needle.  This made things considerably easier.

The local furrier in my area told me multiple times that many people think sewing fur is easy, but once they try it, they soon realize just how difficult it is.

I've been tempted to ask the local furrier to sew.. in a fur lining in a sleeping bag for me for camping and staying warm in a bumper pull rv..

I think it is really neat that you are willing to try something like this yourself.  I think I am too apprehensive about ruining something by making a mistake, bit of course we only learn from up our mistakes.  I think your idea is a good one, please let us know how it comes out.

I don't think you can ruin much just by sewing, it's the cutting where it can go wrong but with sewing... If the result is not as expected you can always take out the thread and try again. 

Unfortunately, you can ruin a fur in many ways by just sewing, depending upon what the initial damage is.  I have personally had coats ruined by people who said they were furriers, were not in fact, and did damage that I later had to have corrected at greater expense.  Just sharing my own direct experience.