Macy’s

dumbass45601

I used to remember waiting for my wife while she shopped for work.  I used to wait by the fur department at Macy's.  Macy's would make their own branded furs.

11 hours ago, Panther10 said:

Damn...And I just had a very promising job interview at Maximilian Fur Salon too

Well it did say 2021 so you can still try?  After all, you got all that experience from Alaska.

I called them back after reading this report and they did confirm that there is a hiring freeze. And from the sound of things, they might want to shut down operations by early 2020

13 hours ago, Panther10 said:

I called them back after reading this report and they did confirm that there is a hiring freeze. And from the sound of things, they might want to shut down operations by early 2020

Are there any other furriers nearby where you can apply for a job?

This is an alarming trend we seem helpless to quell. Macy's and Bloomingdale's have sold a lot of coats over the years. 

The unfortunate suppliers will notice a large drop in orders. More crafts men and women will be out of a job.

Let's hope Canada continues to hold out. Luckily, Montreal is not too far a reach for me.

This is very sad indeed. Unfortunately, it seems like the beginning of the end of furs in the US.

@Panther10 that's too bad! I worked at one for a few years. Would have been great to have had another fur lover work there. Sad that my old store is going to close down because of this.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:00 AM, Panther10 said:

Yes and no, it seems no one is willing to take me in. Looks like my experience in Alaska was all for nothing.

From what I have read about your Alaska experience you had a wonderful time. That alone made it worthwhile. I like to think your knowledge and passion are even more valuable. If big companies continue to shun fur, individuals will become the best hope of preserving the knowledge and skills of this time honored craft. Perhaps you can build upon what you know and start your own business in one form or another. I wish you all the best!!!!!! 

15 minutes ago, fursince63 said:

From what I have read about your Alaska experience you had a wonderful time. That alone made it worthwhile. I like to think your knowledge and passion are even more valuable. If big companies continue to shun fur, individuals will become the best hope of preserving the knowledge and skills of this time honored craft. Perhaps you can build upon what you know and start your own business in one form or another. I wish you all the best!!!!!! 

That doesn't do me much good. I only worked in sales, and for four months at that. It's not like I know how to sew a fur coat together. I have zero experience with needle and thread and zero patience to learn how.

• 3 weeks later...

I think now is the time we need to step up and try to support our local furriers! Flemington Furs is not what it used to be as well as Macy's and Bloomingdales are giving up on fur. My local guy does beautiful work and does his best to please the customer. I hope I'm right and we just go smaller and enjoy the more personalized service of small fur shops.

7 minutes ago, fox4me said:

I think now is the time we need to step up and try to support our local furriers! Flemington Furs is not what it used to be as well as Macy's and Bloomingdales are giving up on fur. My local guy does beautiful work and does his best to please the customer. I hope I'm right and we just go smaller and enjoy the more personalized service of small fur shops.

Oh the smaller boutiques are theoretically in an invulnerable position right now. Not only will the customers who were driven away from larger department stores more likely to visit the small boutiques for long term care of current garments and continued business, but also because unlike the larger retail chains, mom and pop furriers are private enterprises, not public companies. They really can't succumb or cave to the kind of pressures that Macy's or bloomingdales can because they aren't affected by stock market manipulations or malicious lobbying efforts. Moreover, these businesses have been around for three generations or more so they are all self sustainable and are privately funded. They don't need to seek loans from banks or other financial institutions. Lastly, these companies are so small that most of them just don't register on most animal rights groups radar. It's technically a grey market enterprise in that regard, albiet one that is heavily regulated.

That sad thing is that, in California, the sale of new furs is band.  No more sale of new furs in CA.  Those small furriers will get hit the hardest. 

I always enjoyed the "fur caravan" sales. Macy's, Filene's, even large furriers used to bring lots of stock to one place. Multiple racks, packed with furs and people trying coats on all over the place. A browser's delight.

Wow, that's too bad. So sad seeing fur fashion disappearing because of so many ignorant folks who just are blindsided by false info. Thanks goodness I am in Canada, it's stiff pretty popular here...

Animal rights groups are amazing. They started with threats, intimidation and guilt tactics on the general public. Then made it easy for big companies and media to shun fur in fear of protest. The fur industry continued to underestimated them. Now that they "RE-educated most people about the "coats of cruelty" all that is left is to BAN fur by means of legislation. (Being done as I write this.) For me it has been years since I have seen anyone wear a fur coat. So sad as I know some people are just afraid. This in a "free" country.

I remember a Costco Roadshow of furs.  I think it only happened one time here in South San Francisco, CA  I don't think that will ever happen again.  This was around the later 1980s.

As sad as it is, the opportunist in me is waiting to see what the Fur Vault in Burlington MA is going to do with their inventory. Might be some great deals starting next year...

There will probably be some going out of business sales by black friday and cyber monday so I would imagine some hefty reductions in price. And I'm thinking in the range of 60%-75% off at least.

On 10/24/2019 at 11:17 PM, fursince63 said:

Sad to hear, but I think we can all see the end of real fur in the U.S . in the near future.

Well my pre-owned fur sale business is booming! 

• 8 months later...

I just checked the Macy's Fur Vault website and it seems like they are still selling their stock, but even with the deep discounts the furs are cost prohibitive. I am curious about what happens to their unsold merchandise. There aren't a lot of local furriers to absorb what's left. Anyone know what the plan might be?