Pieced rabbit fur

lynx

Does anyone know how different "pieced" rabbit fur like the blanket in the attached image feels from typical rabbit fur like that used in a coat? I was thinking of getting a blanket like this one because pieced fur is less expensive, but it looks like it might be a bit more uncomfortable to sleep under.

Natural_Grey_Rabbit_Fur_Blanket_2574.jpg

• Like 1

You might feel more lumps and bumps because the pieced fur will all be flank areas and of varying hair lengths, though I would say that the lumpy-bumpy effect is more noticeable in pieced fox than it would be in pieced rabbit. I think that sleeping under it would be perfectly comfortable, but full pelts are rightly more luxurious and refined, with a smoother effect.

For sure. I have a rabbit fur coat and hat and I love the feel of them. As long as the blanket is similar enough I’ll probably love it too.

I was considering getting a pieced-fox pillow to go with it, but if that will feel a lot more lumpy-bumpy I might pass on that.

This where you need to know how it is constructed. You get what you pay for like anything else. Master Furrier has rabbit blanket and even some pieced mink one on sale for around 1000 euros and I can tell you his quality is excellent. The blanket in my avatar has blocking between the back of the fur and the non slip lining and you can't really feel where the pets are sewn.

• Like 1

No, go for it. buy it if you want it. We have a couple of pieced ones, and one full pelt one. The "lumps and bumps" of the pieced ones are so soft, and do actually add a very pleasing texture to the feel of the blanket. The blankets are soft and extremely comfortable to sleep under or drape over yourself watching TV on cold evenings.

Full pelt ones are indeed probably nicer, but consequently more expensive.

A word of caution with rabbit fur blankets. Treat them gently, don't pull them roughly or the skin can rtear will tear at the seams, difficult to repair without undoing the lining. This becomes more likely the more use the blanket has. A blanket made of rabbit pieces obviously has many more seams than a full pelt blanket, and very often the thinner parts of the skin are used,( the parts unsuitable for making garments) so this can be more of a problem. Treat them well, and they will treat you better.

The stitching will probably be better on a blanket made by a bespoke furrier rather than one massed produced in China.

Having said all that, ours are still in use after several years, despite having a few rips, and they are soft, warm and cosy. Just how we like fur!. When there are too many rips, I will probably take them apart and experiment with using still usable bit to make other things with them, cushion/ bolster covers, hot water bottle covers etc.

Sounds like I should definitely get the blanket. I'll be sure to be careful with it. Were you saying the pieced fox pillow would be nice too?

• Sad 1

Yeah, I reckon it would be good too. We also have a pieced silver fox bed spread. Quite old now and quite a few tears which you can't really see because the fur is so long, so it still looks nice on the bed, but have to be very careful if it slips off the bed and we pull it back up. Lesson learnt is always to grip the lining from underneath to pull it, rather than just pulling the fur and the lining together. And if a lot has slipped off, get out of bed and lift it back on before pulling it up, so that you are not pulling the whole weight of the spread. hassle though.

You wont have this problem with a pillow though, I would think it should be good. but only trying it will tell.