Fur muffs

paul2809

I’m still new into getting fur accessories...

I’d like to know if mink/fox fur muff/hand warmers are worth buying as an accessories to fur coats?

I found a mink muff today at a antique shop today., but I’m not sure what their asking is worth the $65dollars US is worth buying...

Pros for it that it’s local... and cons that I’ve found some a little cheaper on eBay..

Are fur muffs good fo massage to as well?

I think when you're buying from an antique shop, whether the price is worth it really depends on the condition. You're going to have to give it a good feel. For fur in best condition; the leather feels a bit like a wet dishcloth (only not wet, of course - do you know what I mean? I'm talking about consistency) when squeezed. When I and my furrier colleagues pick up vintage fur, we'd generally try to get vintage items like that cheaper than what is being offered to you there, but as I said, it all depends on what state it's in. My friend and I pick up old stoles (mink ones) etc. for $13 to $26 if we can (by the way, we're in the UK, not the USA).

I think a lot of muffs tend to have a lot of padding, they're often designed on a 'muff bed'. I don't know, I feel like it would be a bit cumbersome for massage. I make massage gloves sometimes, proper ones with thumbs - I've done them in Rex rabbit (I even did a chinchilla one with chinchilla lining... extravagent!). You'll always find vintage cheaper of course. I would be wary about buying things like muffs online, muffs were in fashion a long time ago and as such vintage muffs are probably going to be very old, and there may be fewer of them out there that are in good condition. I had one around at one point that was about 100 years old (sold as American sable... it was dyed skunk, ha ha!).

You can always send me a message with pictures of any vintage furs you find and I'll try to help you, though. There is some weird, weird stuff out there. I just remodelled an 80 year old stole into a hat. It was fox fur... the client thought it was silver fox, but what she didn't know is that back then, ordinary foxes used to be dyed black and 'spiked' with badger hair to make it look like silver fox (supposedly, I don't think it does though!). You wouldn't want a vintage piece like that to be used as a massage mitt, they feel horrendous imho!

Sorry for the ramble. Just thought I'd share my experiences. Let me know if I can help any more.

By the way, here's an example of a vintage item that would have been very cheaply made at the time, just for reference and something to look out for when you're shopping for vintage accessories. This one is fox. Also probably in the region of 70-80 years old. I managed to refurbish it and get it looking quite nice, but it actually would have been a relatively cheap garment when it was new, because it has a ton of leather in it, and also because it's mostly made from flank/waste pieces (and it had the short hair from the head area on the front too; the client thought someone had chopped the hair with scissors, but no... that's just the way it was).

Anyway... vintage sellers generally don't know what they're selling and a lot of them will tack high prices on anything, just because it happens to be fur. This one was dropping to bits and had to be entirely reinforced with fine leather. Sometimes the work that needs to be done is of a higher fee than the fur is worth!

Angela's-Collar.jpg[/attachment]

So... what I'm saying is... be careful. Buy vintage fur in person if possible. Examine it VERY CLOSELY!

Thank you Emily

I'll shoot you some pictures if I can get back to the antique store today of the fur muffs..via private messages

I thought it would be a nice addition to my fur coats..

Both of these muffs feel a lot softer than mink... It’s very soft with longhairs.. very pretty though.... one of muffs had two rips in it... I just don’t know if the good one is worth buys no and having sewn back together at a local furrier in San Antonio, Tx

I wouldn't go for those Paul... the pictures you sent are skunk fur, and whatever work needs doing, the work will cost a lot more than the value of the fur, I would imagine!