Do you know your fox colours? :)

Emily

Hi all!

I had completely forgotten I made an account here again! I actually signed up to this website a few years ago, but since then, my career as a designer and furrier has really got started. Some of you may know me on Instagram, Facebook etc. as Emilou Fur. I'm a member of the British Fur Trade Association and right now I have some really exciting projects on the go!

I know that fox fur is a popular choice here. I'm sure you're all familar with blue fox, silver fox, golden island and various others - but do you know how many other colours there really are out there? There are a lot of new, special or limited natural fox colours that rarely reach designers and furriers, because they tend not to get sorted at auction, or they are just so limited that they rarely get seen. Sun Glow is an example of a colour that you've probably heard of, but that I have rarely seen actually made into products. Also, a lot of these fur colours tend to be sold by companies under the wrong name - because they're sold under the wrong name at auction, or even worse, just sold as 'various designer foxes'. I've seen Fawn Light being sold as Sun Glow fairly recently, for example - and Fawn Light in and of itself is a bit of a rainbow, necessitating a few different variation names...

Anyway, I'm close friends with the main producer of some really exclusive colours in Finland (as well as friends with various blue fox farmers etc. too). It means I have some options to work with some really special fox colours that are very limited and hard to find. I recently bought two small lots of Palomino Silver "Norwegian Type" fox from KopenhagenFur (I have so far made, among other things, a blanket, which I've posted about in the Mall forum). Most of these skins will have also come from my aforementioned friend! You can see some of the other "Norwegian Type" colours here: https://www.kopenhagenfur.com/en/products/norwegian-type/ However, there are actually many more besides! My friend recently sent me two skins of Lavender Frost, they're just stunning (I'll take a picture of them later) - I'm trying to decide what to do with them.

I'm hoping the above will prove interesting to some of you. On that note, what is your favourite type of fox? Do you have a colour you need help identifying (if I don't know it, my friend sure will)? If you want to know more about mutation colours, please don't hesitate to ask!

• 3 months later...

I know my favorite kind of fox has to be silver fox, it just looks gorgeous and feels gorgeous, however cross fox is also quite high up on that list!

On 3/24/2019 at 5:52 PM, Emily said:

You can see some of the other "Norwegian Type" colours here: https://www.kopenhagenfur.com/en/products/norwegian-type/

This is really informative. I looked on wikipedia and could only find a few fox fur types. This already seemed strange to me, because I saw so much variety. It's very hard to pick a favourite, but I have a preference for the longer haired ones.

Since you are a furrier, perhaps you can also answer this: is there such a thing as pure white natural fox fur, or is natural white in reality an off-white and is it whitened to produce pure white? And if this is the case, what material is used as fur whitener?

Also you may be able to answer the question I posted in this topic.