Hanger

Musketier

I have a question to the forum concerning hanger for heavier coats - where do you buy them and which do you prefer? I am always worried about the shoulders being damaged when all the weight is concentrated on a small area - especially with full length foxes

I tried wider wooden ones from amazon but am not very satisfied so far...

You need the widest hanger you can find. Usually wood hangers are not wide enough, and wide plastic hangers (usually with a metal hanging hook) can be difficult to find. Sorry, but I do not know of a good source although I would suggest searching online, possibly under furrier supplies.

I have a very wide and very sturdy contour wooden hanger for my oversized blue fox that my furrier gave me when I collected my coat from storage. Looks like it was constructed out of pine if I had to guess. It's not the usual hanger they normally provide and there is no label on it so I'm not sure if it was just lying around from a previous customer or if it was made specifically for my coat, but it seems to be a one off. Still, if you have a good relationship with your local furrier then it might be best to ask for a hanger and garment bag for your fur garments. Because you will always need things like that on standby.

One of the saddest fur related things I ever saw was a full length sable being hung on a peg in the cloakroom in an opera house in Europe. Surely the staff must have been aware of how to treat a valuable garment like that. I always carry a foldable hanger in my pocket should my wife and I leave a fur of hers in a venue's cloakroom. Not ideal but better than the treatment dished out to that gorgeous sable.