Shoulder size on a fox fur coat

northernfur

depending on the size of the coat and whether or not there is a substantial shoulder pad inside the coat, usually 18"-24" from edge to edge in my experience.

From what I understand, older coats are typically 17 inches wide measured shoulder seam to shoulder seam. Nowadays, coats are made with wider shoulders like 18 to 19 inch wide or more.

A better measurement to determine that information would be across the bust. You would need something that is at least 20" across on the inside of the coat from the left armpit seam to the right seam. Double that is the overall bust. If you wear a 38DD then you would need at least a size 12 and no larger than an 18 coat depending on whether or not you are a petite 16 or a womens 16 since these furs are not meant to be worn too snuggly. You do not want to put too much stress on the stitching between the pelts, especially around the armpits and shoulders because thats where the seams are the weakest. Best recommendation is an extra 2-8" of room in your fur to accomodate your bust and your winter clothing underneath.

The coat I was looking at is a size 12-14 for around $500 and it’s a surprise gift for my wife who’s around 5’9-5’10 240lbs and she’s on the larger side.

Then you are going to need a larger coat than a 12-14. I weigh about as much as your wife and I usually require coats that are at least a mens 3X which is the equivalent of a womens 26. I would advocate in taking your wife to a furrier first to let her try on a couple of coats because most people in that line of work should be able to take one look at your wife and should be able to determine her size right out of the gate and will find a coat that is somewhat meant for her frame.

The coat I was looking at is a size 12-14 for around $500 and it’s a surprise gift for my wife who’s around 5’9-5’10 240lbs and she’s on the larger side.

Any idea what her coat size is? You can measure her coat to see what the approximate measurements would be. I am currently in the same situation as you. Looking for coat for my wife and guessing her size. In my situation, her coat sizes are XL, I have seen 16, 18, and 20 on some of her coats. She is much shorter than your wife at 5 feet 2 inches.

I tried getting my wife to go to furrier but she doesn’t want anyone to know about my fur fetish and she’s to shy to be seen in public in fur unfortunately:(. She wears xl clothing and I think a size 16 coat and cloths. I’ve bought some large size fur coats for her that fit but we’re a bit snug. She started wearing size 14 cloths too but most of her cloths are size 16.

• 2 weeks later...