What was your first fur?

Pelts

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

My very first fur was a fox pelt as at the time I did not have a lot of money and I love collecting the singular pelts.

• 6 months later...

My 1st fur was a cheapie blue fox jacket that shed like crazy.  The previous owner didn’t take good care of it. But I was a young 20-something that didn’t know much about furs yet.

I bought a silver fox jacket a few months afterward. This was almost 25 years ago. I still wear, and love, the silver fox. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Full length beaver coat. The sales lady told me it would last for years if I took care of it. She was so right!  

Stormie Weather You look like a movie star in that silver fox!     Grouchomg I like your coyote parka I'll bet its warm! 

Edited by shyfurwriter

My first fur - which I still have to this day - was a deerskin rug that was used on the floor of a vintage shop.  I was 15 years old when I bought it; I just had to have it after seeing a young pretty 20-something year old (at the time) female store employee walking on it repeatedly with her high heels on.

What was ironic was how there were signs all over the store telling visitors to keep their shoes off the furniture and yet, there were a few fur rugs on the floor of the store that seemed "cleaner" than a bed that visitors could walk on with their shoes on.  At one point, the employee even warned a group of young pretty girls about a year or two older than me (at the time) to take their shoes/boots off before getting on a bed, and to leave their footwear on top of the deerskin rug (the same one I eventually bought) in order sit on the bed in their socked feet.

18949501_269491383518783_6418006545656709120_n.jpg

Edited by FurRugLover

faux, white longhaired hooded jacket

Real: full length brown mink coat I bought from a student who inherited it from her grandma. for only 5 euro

Did you ever did something with that female sales person? @FurRug_lover

Edited by Wolvie666

Mine started with grandmas old muskrat jacket...which then given to my mom when I was small.. I still remember wearing it around the house being small.... then my mom got a full length raccoon which is actually my primary go outside fur coat... its one of those 80s coats when the collar is up the back is level with the top if your head and the you literally can't see sideways out of it... that and the raccoon hat... simply amazing!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WinnipegFur said:

Mine started with grandmas old muskrat jacket...which then given to my mom when I was small.. I still remember wearing it around the house being small.... then my mom got a full length raccoon which is actually my primary go outside fur coat... its one of those 80s coats when the collar is up the back is level with the top if your head and the you literally can't see sideways out of it... that and the raccoon hat... simply amazing!

@WinnipegFureait just to clarify, did you inherit your mom’s full length raccoon coat?

5 hours ago, pnwhist said:

@WinnipegFureait just to clarify, did you inherit your mom’s full length raccoon coat?

My mom always knew I liked err loved fur... when my parents divorced I stayed with my dad as my mom was remarried.. she moved a few streets over a few months later... one winter we drove out to the west end of the province so I could go snowboarding.. I was in the backseat coming home and it literally was freezing back there... my mom more or less insisted I wear the raccoon fur coat to which I had no objections obviously, from that day on, that coat was pretty well mine... my mom had a full length mink as well, she liked wearing the mink more than the raccoon so she pretty well just gave me the raccoon... I used to drive her to work so wore that coat every single morning every winter... its the same coat I wear almost every day now.. it looks like a mens coat, in all honesty, I could care less which way the hooks do up.. it means absolutely nothing in my opinion... my mom doesnt wear the mink out anymore..shes more concerned about what people think than I am... so occasionaly Ill take a full length black mink for a stroll...

• Like 1

Pour moi un plaid en fausse fourrure et manteaux en castor 

15 hours ago, Wolvie666 said:

Did you ever did something with that female sales person? @FurRug_lover

No, I was 15 at the time.  Even when I went back to the store a few months later, she was no longer there.

3 hours ago, WinnipegFur said:

My mom always knew I liked err loved fur..

I think it is wonderful that your mom knew you loved fur and gave you her raccoon coat! What a sweet gesture. I'll bet the coat is not only warm but heartwarming too!  

On 3/15/2024 at 8:38 PM, shyfurwriter said:

I think it is wonderful that your mom knew you loved fur and gave you her raccoon coat! What a sweet gesture. I'll bet the coat is not only warm but heartwarming too!  

Ive got so many coats that Ive purchased from the local buy and sell... Winnipeg in the 80s was a fur coat hot spot.. like you couldnt go out in the winter without seeing one..and everyone had one... there were probably 10+ furriers in the city, and Winnipeg in the 80s was not (and still isn't really) a high population city.. That raccoon is still my favorite coat... I think its the size of the collar, and when its up it just seems to trap you in it... and the way the fur blows on the sleeves when its windy out... I dunno I seem to go in spurts on what my favorite coat is...for years it was coyote everyday but the last several years has been the raccoon...

2 hours ago, WinnipegFur said:

I think its the size of the collar, and when its up it just seems to trap you in it... and the way the fur blows on the sleeves when its windy out...

Only a true fur lover writes like this!  Furs have always appealed to all my senses. So refreshing!  Thank you for sharing!