North American fur cities

mrbeaver92

So in your opinion, per capita, what would be the best cities in North America to see ladies in furs ? Montreal, New York ?

• 1 month later...

I live in Montreal and I wear fur on a daily basis during winter. I can't see a lot of people in fur here. I am Spanish and I can say that it is much more common to wear fur in Madrid than here

I would agree with Alice. I have visited Montreal a few times in winter, and have always been surprised / disappointed by the lack of people wearing furs. Most people wear expensive down coats with big hoods.

My furrier there assures me lots of people in Montreal do wear furs. I guess it tends to be in the wealthy areas outside the city centre.

In North America, New York is the best place for volume of furs in my experience. Whether it's because there is more wealth there (or a greater number of wealthy individuals), or for another reason, I don't know.

If you can venture outside North America, you need to go to Russia. Go to Moscow or St Petersburg and, provided the temperature is below -5 or -10C, almost all the women will be wearing furs. Slightly warmer than that and they switch to down coats

Definitely New York! We've been there a few times in winter and there's always something to be seen. Lots of 'ordinary' mink and fox on show but some spectacular sables too!

The Metropolitan Opera, Carnegie Hall and the Alice Tully hall all have patrons who relish the opportunity to show off their fabulous furs. And, of course, the big department stores have wonderful furs on display. The last time we went to Bloomingdales my wife tried on an ankle length sable that was priced at $120,000 although they would have offered us an end of season discount!

If you're after fur sightings then there is nowhere else to touch it, in my experience.

When I have been in St. Petersburg, I have seen upwards of 80% of women wearing huge fluffy furs. It is also true that Madrid is great for seeing furs, but here it is mainly mink.

The only place in Montreal I have seen some furs is Sherbrooke street, around the luxury shops. But I receive compliments from a lot of people for wearing fur: from the man who picks up the garbage to random people at the street who stop to compliment my coat, specially the red fox one.

First, sorry, it's Lynxette, not Lynnette! I blame autocorrect...

I have had mixed responses in Montreal. Walking around with a fox jacket under a down coat, with an oversized fox hood, I have felt paranoid about seeing students laughing at me and received compliments from older women.

I have wandered past concert halls before the shows were starting and seen a lot of minks.

Well I can vouch for Winnipeg being one of the coldest... if not the coldest southern most city in Canada.. and I'd be lucky to see one fur coat a week well besides myself

Dunno why its like that... I guess price plays a part...

• 1 month later...

I have lived in the Chicago area all my life. My wife often wears fur in the city and has never had an issue. As far as what temps? My wife has been wearing her mink vest to work for at least a week. I saw a women at work wearing a full length shearling today. Temps are in the 40s. You'll be fine wearing fur in the Windy city!

I have lived in the Chicago area all my life. My wife often wears fur in the city and has never had an issue. As far as what temps? My wife has been wearing her mink vest to work for at least a week. I saw a women at work wearing a full length shearling today. Temps are in the 40s. You'll be fine wearing fur in the Windy city!

This is my experience as well. Now it is 7 years since I moved from Chicago, but when I lived there I had no problem wearing fur.

Another question, at what temps do the furs come out and where in cities do you find people wearing fur ???

Saw someone wearing a Full length vintage muskrat the other day at the bus stop.. was -15C out.. -25C with the windchill... but its -5 today and +2 mid week... go figure....

Had my full length Silver Fox on lastnite in the backyard .. 50kmh wind.. I love seeing the long fur blowing in the wind

1. New York, New York. Without fail, on an average winter day all over Manhattan and Brooklyn, you will glimpse people of all walks of life enjoying their wardrobes -- especially fur-loving holiday tourists visiting from warmer places in the American south and the midwest. The sweet spots are Madison Avenue between E 60th and E 90th street, especially on weekends. During the winter holidays, go to Fifth Avenue between 59th St. and Rockefeller Plaza, and toward Sixth Avenue near Radio City Music Hall. The WTC memorial downtown will attract the same crowd. The garment district along W 30th and W 29th between Seventh and Eighth Avenues, and in front of Fashion Institute of Technology campus is also a good location. In Soho and Greenwich Village, you will find younger, more fashion-forward colorful styles and accessories, or locals who will go out for cigarettes -- or brunch -- in outrageous outfits just because. In the East Village, vintage fur and shearling, often found at the weekend flea markets, prevail. And in addition to the major show venues on and off Broadway, Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, and Brooklyn's new Barclays Center, look up the addresses of the city's hottest nightclubs of the moment -- people queuing to enter on cold nights will be rocking their finest. This remains one of the only cities where I will feel comfortable wearing any piece of my collection at almost any time, even in the late fall when folks are impatiently waiting to pull something out of storage.

2. Chicago; the downtown loop and the Art Institute. But I have honestly seen more in the airport.

3. Colorado; Denver, in certain areas, other ski resorts like Vail, and the ski town of Aspen. You'll look like a tourist but the antis are few and far between. The shopping (designer and vintage alike) will be incredible. But it's no Sankt Moritz or Courchevel, kids.

4. The Mall at Short Hills in suburban New Jersey. Unabashed conspicuous consumer paradise. 25-30 years ago, it was unbelievable.

5. Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, or the National Harbor resort in Maryland, on certain days, just south of Washington, DC.

6. I know someone who recently moved to Kansas City, Missouri, and has lived near Little Rock, Arkansas; apparently these are also not entirely unfriendly cities, judging from her tastes.

7. Montreal is beautiful, but in this regard, it disappoints me for some reason. I know plenty of Canadians have at least one beaver or coyote fur accessory somewhere, but over the years I've expected to see more people confidently wearing their collections. Like many cities, I feel I haven't gone to the right venues. But this is the city to buy your next piece.

8. Anchorage, Alaska, during the annual Fur Rondy festival, the Grand Parade, and the starting line of the Iditarod dog sled race.

9. Small, exclusive towns in politically "conservative" areas during holiday events like historic home tours, or shopping weekends. I'm always surprised.

10. Major NFL stadiums on winter game days!

Whistler, BC this last weekend was a bit tame with no sightings except for the typical faux/real trimmed hoods on many visitors with temperatures at the freezing level. There was a lady in one restaurant with faux jacket on but really that was about it.

However, I really should not be disappointed at all when the wife herself was out twice with her full length crystal fox for our evening stroll!

[quote name="Joe

6. I know someone who recently moved to Kansas City' date=' Missouri, and has lived near Little Rock, Arkansas; apparently these are also not entirely unfriendly cities, judging from her tastes.

![/quote]

I was just in Kansas City,Mo with a wind chill of 19F. I did see one fake Lynx coat that evening at a restaurant.

Well I can vouch for Winnipeg being one of the coldest... if not the coldest southern most city in Canada.. and I'd be lucky to see one fur coat a week well besides myself

Dunno why its like that... I guess price plays a part...

It's the same story in Saskatoon... -30 at times outside and I've almost never spotted a person wearing fur

Faux fur is very popular in Nashville - even though it doesn't get very cold in the winter you'll see lots of women in fur vests or wearing boots with trim - and sometimes you'll get lucky and see some real vintage furs. I've seen more and more coats/jackets these last couple of years, too.

I dunno if climate change is playing a part as well.. but today here it was +4 and it was raining.. its supposed to remain above 0C for the rest of the week... 0 is not even cold for Winnipeg at this time of year.. it should be hanging around -5 to -6 for the high and down around -14 overnight.. thats the normals... the bit of snow we got 2.5 weeks is ago is all but gone... and nothing really in site for 2 weeks.. well if you trust the weather forecasts LOL I remember growing up everywhere you looked there were fur coats! Men and Women equally!! 30 years ago the climate also was alot harsher it seemed.. snow storms on Halloween, Blizzards still in April... now Im still wearing shorts in late October and mid April... the weather monkeys keep predicting the return of those winters, but it never happens, or the duration is about 1/2 of what it used to be...

• 6 months later...