Cruela De Vil Appreciation Thread

furlover15

It is difficult to tell exactly what furs the cartoon artists were trying to imitate in that scene, but most of the white fur as drawn is similar to white mink. The collar of the coat looks like white fox was the intent.

I'm glad you've brought this up - is that a collar? I've been trying for ages to find out the exact term for it. I've also wondered (though the film never hints at it) if it couldn't double as a hood. And speaking of which, where could one find a coat with such a generous collar?

I'm glad you've brought this up - is that a collar? I've been trying for ages to find out the exact term for it. I've also wondered (though the film never hints at it) if it couldn't double as a hood. And speaking of which, where could one find a coat with such a generous collar?
Such a generous collar would almost have to be double sided fox. I have seen images of such fox hooded coats, but at the moment I cannot think of where. Hopefully other members can supply a link.

Such a generous collar would almost have to be double sided fox. I have seen images of such fox hooded coats, but at the moment I cannot think of where. Hopefully other members can supply a link.

I've never gotten even close - wish I had your memories. There was a detachable cape from Purpleshoshana that may have functioned as you mentioned, and Elsafur / Daria have both done good work, but...

vlcsnap-2014-06-05-19h34m44s26.png?dl=0

vlcsnap-2016-02-11-10h18m07s005.png?dl=0

vlcsnap-2016-02-11-10h18m13s238.png?dl=0

...I can't stop marveling at how the animators handled the sheer mass of her coat, how it behaves when she moves, etc etc. - I've yet to find a real-life parallel to make my jaw drop as far.

Excellent video - very flattering lynxes, I think. I am irked a little, though, when the producer decides "tack on a dalmatian and call it a night" - because that glosses much of what makes a really "Cruella" Cruella.

Excellent video - very flattering lynxes, I think. I am irked a little, though, when the producer decides "tack on a dalmatian and call it a night" - because that glosses much of what makes a really "Cruella" Cruella.

what makes "Cruella" Cruella in your opinion. I'm curious to know what your thoughts are.

what makes "Cruella" Cruella in your opinion. I'm curious to know what your thoughts are.

For me, "Cruella" means, above all, a single-minded, manic, and sometimes unpleasant fascination with fur. This alone permeates much of her personality, including some haughtiness and disdain for others. The pictures I selected reflect this

...of course, these things are hard to display in a video, but I thought the Vogue (Jason Skrillex?) video with the smoking, laughing model came the closest. The lady modelling with the dalmatian was pretty far removed, since she looked at times vacant and at times rather affectionate. Cruella is never vacant; she is always coveting and scheming. Cruella is never affectionate; she is constantly looking down upon you, unless you are a fur coat, in which case she wears you with great pleasure.

Of course, the above is all my opinion. The point of this thread is to draw out different interpretations. Very nice video, by the way - I like it more as I watch it more.

And in all honesty, one of the real "Cruella" things I adore is actually a Disney editorial - her insanely reckless driving. It's such a natural extension of her personality that I can't imagine her without it.

cruelladriving.jpg

For me, "Cruella" means, above all, a single-minded, manic, and sometimes unpleasant fascination with fur. This alone permeates much of her personality, including some haughtiness and disdain for others. The pictures I selected reflect this

...of course, these things are hard to display in a video, but I thought the Vogue (Jason Skrillex?) video with the smoking, laughing model came the closest. The lady modelling with the dalmatian was pretty far removed, since she looked at times vacant and at times rather affectionate. Cruella is never vacant; she is always coveting and scheming. Cruella is never affectionate; she is constantly looking down upon you, unless you are a fur coat, in which case she wears you with great pleasure.

Of course, the above is all my opinion. The point of this thread is to draw out different interpretations. Very nice video, by the way - I like it more as I watch it more.

This is excellent analysis! Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/bXvJfEb.jpg

Has anyone seen a real purse like this? Judging by these tails, what poor animal is cruella's classic coat and purse made of?

While I have not seen a purse in that style, it is possible a furrier could make one very similar. It is difficult to tell exactly what furs the cartoon artists were trying to imitate in that scene, but most of the white fur as drawn is similar to white mink. The collar of the coat looks like white fox was the intent. And the tails similar to fox, but the colors are reversed relative to many natural foxes.

her entire outfit looks like fox fur, for me. and judging by the tails position, isn't a hood, but a HUGE double sided collar.

disney released this figure, I think it will help if someone has the "means" to mimic the coat and purse http://www.disneystore.com/figurines-keepsakes-collectibles-cruella-de-vil-couture-de-force-figurine-by-enesco/mp/1341098/1000276/

her entire outfit looks like fox fur, for me. and judging by the tails position, isn't a hood, but a HUGE double sided collar.

disney released this figure, I think it will help if someone has the "means" to mimic the coat and purse http://www.disneystore.com/figurines-keepsakes-collectibles-cruella-de-vil-couture-de-force-figurine-by-enesco/mp/1341098/1000276/

True, good point on those tails making it a collar. I love tails on a coat. Especially with cruella it just makes you think how the wearer knows exactly wear the coat came from.

The figure is quite lovely from the back, but the great fullness of the collar doesn't really come through from the front or sides - it's a pity. Seriously, those animators just made it barbarically large.

I would be very interested if someone could replicate the coat or purse - in fact, I'm still a little unclear on what exactly a "double-sided" collar entails, if someone could shed some light...?

in fact, I'm still a little unclear on what exactly a "double-sided" collar entails, if someone could shed some light...?

it's a collar made with pelts on top and on the bottom, instead of only on top. it looks way more "fluffy"; normally did when the collar is sufficiently huge to be a hood too.

for example, this is one sided: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Lk8AAOxyEoFSUVAy/s-l1600.jpg

and this, double sided: http://www.elsafur.it/ebay/photos/20140122-164948-IMG_0694.jpg

it's a collar made with pelts on top and on the bottom, instead of only on top. it looks way more "fluffy"; normally did when the collar is sufficiently huge to be a hood too.

for example, this is one sided: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Lk8AAOxyEoFSUVAy/s-l1600.jpg

and this, double sided: http://www.elsafur.it/ebay/photos/20140122-164948-IMG_0694.jpg

Nicely explained. Thank you! for posterity, the double-sided collar is shown here:

20140122-164948-IMG_0694.jpg?dl=0

and single-sided collars should be obvious (silly me). This is one of the Elsafur coats I meant when I said "few have come close" - from the front it's somewhat impressive, but the reflection in the mirror is the really telling part - just wow! I'd really like a coat like that one.

I woulld love to see emma stone wear one of these in the new movie

I wouldn't mind Emma Stone, but imagine (in my wildest fantasies) if they got Elsafur on board as a consulting agent and maybe, just maybe, even taught their main model (depicted above) how to fill the role? They say it's easier to teach astronauts to act than to make actors faux-astronauts (??), so imagine how great it'd be to see someone who's already so used to looking great in fur.

I do believe the coat that Cruella wore in the animation is a fox coat(and I love it very much), due to the texture and the movement of the fur, although some of the them say it is a mink coat (the disney villian wiki states that it is a mink cloak)

Btw here are some of my Cruella fur photos collection from the animation

app.php/gallery/image/39575

app.php/gallery/image/39574

app.php/gallery/image/39573

app.php/gallery/image/39572

app.php/gallery/image/39571

I do believe the coat that Cruella wore in the animation is a fox coat(and I love it very much), due to the texture and the movement of the fur, although some of the them say it is a mink coat (the disney villian wiki states that it is a mink cloak)

Given the scarcity of non-canonical information about Cruella in any of her incarnations (save what Dodie Smith spelled out), I think it likely that the line is taken from a misapplication of the original book, where it's said that she wore a mink cloak (if memory serves). From our fruitful discussion above, fox fur isn't a bad guess at all.

The five you've selected come from her amazing entrance sequence, and in fact stem from her famous line,

My only true love, darling - I live for fur! I worship fur!

Personally I most enjoy the bit where she says "My only true love," pushing that ginormous collar close. That's the long sought-after "fur frame" I relish so much.

"where it's said that she wore a mink cloak (if memory serves)"

A white mink one specifically. So I think they were just taking artistic license here, perhaps since fluffier fur is easier to animate.

Also in the book she says "I sleep between ermine sheets." That sounds wonderfully sybaritic.

"where it's said that she wore a mink cloak (if memory serves)"

A white mink one specifically. So I think they were just taking artistic license here, perhaps since fluffier fur is easier to animate.

Also in the book she says "I sleep between ermine sheets." That sounds wonderfully sybaritic.

That's an interesting point. Easier to animate as opposed to...? A thin, drab, "sheet" of fur draped over her? (I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't quite see it. Especially when knowing that modern 3D animation makes fur really difficult anyway.)

In any case, whatever the cause, I'm very grateful they went the direction they did. "Monstrous" is a good word, but I like to say that she has presence. I can't find a single shot (cel?) where the coat doesn't pop like a technicolor picture book. Without it, she would just be an unpleasant, rail-thin woman. Add that bundle of fur and she instantly turns heads on the street (not least because of her driving).

Given the scarcity of non-canonical information about Cruella in any of her incarnations (save what Dodie Smith spelled out), I think it likely that the line is taken from a misapplication of the original book, where it's said that she wore a mink cloak (if memory serves). From our fruitful discussion above, fox fur isn't a bad guess at all.

The five you've selected come from her amazing entrance sequence, and in fact stem from her famous line,

My only true love, darling - I live for fur! I worship fur!

Personally I most enjoy the bit where she says "My only true love," pushing that ginormous collar close. That's the long sought-after "fur frame" I relish so much.

Thanks, I am glad to learn that there are people also share the appreciation to Cruella and her glamorous fur.

I especially enjoy the scene in which she is swinging and enjoying her voluminous fur coat while saying the above words that you have quoted.

It shows her ultimate fur-loving character and I enjoy it very much.

Honestly, my favorite scene is the climactic car chase because her character really shines through adversity - but in terms of fur there was no better sequence than her introduction.

I meant to post all 72 frames in decent resolution, but I couldn't quite manage and so settled for the following 8:

tumblr_o2x5cwbvxt1v22iizo1_1280.png

tumblr_o2x5cwbvxt1v22iizo2_1280.png

tumblr_o2x5cwbvxt1v22iizo3_1280.png

tumblr_o2x5cwbvxt1v22iizo4_1280.png

tumblr_o2x5cwbvxt1v22iizo5_1280.png

tumblr_o2x5cwbvxt1v22iizo6_1280.png

tumblr_o2x5cwbvxt1v22iizo7_1280.png

tumblr_o2x5cwbvxt1v22iizo8_1280.png