Air Travel with furs?

minkme

I won't recommend checking a fur coat for security reasons. If traveling coach, I'd just hold on to it and not put it in the overhead compartment.

When my wife wears a fur on the plane she just carefully folds it lining out and puts it in the overhead. Most people don't open the overhead once the plane takes off. There are areas on most planes to hang garment bags/long coats, just keep a eye on it. She also will pack a couple of furs in checked luggage as well and has never had any issues.

as a guy by himself I'm always wary about taking a fur or bring one back.I feel everybody knows I'm just a humper of furs.LOL so I have on occasion put it in checked in luggage and had no problems.lucky!!!!!!!

I've done fur on my back and fur in carry on. I've had success both ways (and compliments). Never fur in luggage. I don't trust that.

If y'all want a very positive reaction to fur, amble down an Uptown street in ' N'awlins - Freret will do - on a chilly February morning. You'll get lots of strokes, especially by the folks at Dat Dog.

I have read that the best thing to do with a fur coat when flying is use it as a blanket. That avoids the overhead bins , but with coach seating so damned tight, that may not work either. We flew first class recently bringing my wife's lynx stroller in s bag. It folded up OK in the bin, but I can't imagine handling a full liength fox coat. But no one dresses to fly any more which is truly depressing. I remember the "coat and tie" days growing up, and I miss that.

Aspen is our annual destination, where we trade points for a timeshare. We go usually in October but sometimes other months which can be colder. Regardless I'll bring some furs (we drive) and hopefully get to wear them at night. One can only hope.

I am just old enough to remember the days when air travel was a very special thing. My father was a navel officer and often traveled by air. He told me that he had a colleague who collected guns and would regularly take them into the cabin with him! The customs officers would often chat to him about his collection and look admiringly at his latest acquisition. The only stipulation was that ammunition couldn't be carried at the same time.

My wife and I flew back from Prague and I used her Dior mink stroller as a blanket! It was glorious!

• Like 1

Have flown to Las Vegas and packed some fox strollers in a separate suitcase. Used fur garment bags and packed them tight. Never had an issue with this.

One other option for some . We flew to Sun Valley, Idaho for our 10th anniversary (and hopefully will fly again next year for our 20th.). Due to luggage and space restrictions specially in the small tube plane into Sun Valley, we packed up our furs and other winter clothes and shipped FedEx to the hotel. It was insured, and the hotel clerk says people do that all the time. In fact the hotel sealed and sent off the boxes when we left. This won't work for everyone, but is an alternative. But of course you need one smaller fur on the plane, somehow.

One other option for some . We flew to Sun Valley, Idaho for our 10th anniversary (and hopefully will fly again next year for our 20th.). Due to luggage and space restrictions specially in the small tube plane into Sun Valley, we packed up our furs and other winter clothes and shipped FedEx to the hotel. It was insured, and the hotel clerk says people do that all the time. In fact the hotel sealed and sent off the boxes when we left. This won't work for everyone, but is an alternative. But of course you need one smaller fur on the plane, somehow.

I had this very same idea for my upcoming Alaska trip. My cousin and I only plan to bring the two full length foxes with us, but should I decide to take my other fox coats with me, I'd send them to the hotel via fed-ex 2-day or 3-day. Now I pretty much only own full length foxes and I don't have a single jacket in my collection. In fact beyond the crystal fox I bought for my cousin, she doesn't own a single fur...full length or otherwise. The only other coat she was planning on taking with her was a down coat and she can easily fit that into her suitcase.

Dude are you hooking up with your cousin? Save that stuff for another fetish forum.

What??? No, my cousin and I are traveling to Anchorage Alaska this coming February to see the annual Fur Rondy festival.

EDIT:

You're response kept me awake for the better part of the night. I don't even understand how you inferred from my post, that you thought I was trying to hook up with my cousin? Did you even read the topic of this thread?? It's called "Air travel with furs?" As in "Boarding an airplane with a fur coat" And that's exactly what my cousin and I are doing. We are getting on a plane--and we are going to fly--from Chicago to Anchorage for a February vacation in Alaska. It will be cold. We will be in town for a festival that celebrates the North American Fur Trade. We will need furs for this trip. I've made many posts about this trip in this very thread so I suggest that next time you READ EACH THREAD before you respond.

Well said, Panther. Have a great trip, I'm so jealous.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this trip. It's just a little less than 6 months before I leave....

Also on a related note, my custom blue fox coat will be fully paid off by next month so I finally get to take it home with me.

I apologize for my post below. That was really rude and unnecessary. Safe travels and enjoy the Fur Rondy festival!

billhenry1234 wrote:

Dude are you hooking up with your cousin? Save that stuff for another fetish forum.

What??? No, my cousin and I are traveling to Anchorage Alaska this coming February to see the annual Fur Rondy festival.

EDIT:

You're response kept me awake for the better part of the night. I don't even understand how you inferred from my post, that you thought I was trying to hook up with my cousin? Did you even read the topic of this thread?? It's called "Air travel with furs?" As in "Boarding an airplane with a fur coat" And that's exactly what my cousin and I are doing. We are getting on a plane--and we are going to fly--from Chicago to Anchorage for a February vacation in Alaska. It will be cold. We will be in town for a festival that celebrates the North American Fur Trade. We will need furs for this trip. I've made many posts about this trip in this very thread so I suggest that next time you READ EACH THREAD before you respond.

Las t year, I went from Spain to Turkey with a full length fox coat. I wasn't traveling in first class but I didn't have any problem. I just placed it above my head. Two months later, I went from Turkey to Canada with the same coat. I was in first class and there was a coat closet.

I have travelled with furs a few times. Sometimes I have taken so many that there was no option but to put them in my big suitcases. (I once took two large suitcases to Montreal full of furs, on my own, and apparently that looked suspicious, so I was asked some questions!)

Fortunately, the suitcases have never so far got lost.

When I have taken a coat with me in the cabin, it has been mixed. I usually try to keep it on my lap, and that is usually fine. But in a couple of occasions, I have been asked to put it up in the overhead cabinet.

It's worth trying to find out whether your plane will have a small closet to hang coats, as has been mentioned before. I have only experienced that once.

This has been a very informative thread. I myself am also flying up to Alaska for the Rondy in 2018. Fingers crossed it will be cold and snowy, unlike a couple of years ago when there was very little snow.

My wife and I have been known to make a 'coat sandwich' where we wrap her fur coat inside my coat and fasten the zippers etc to protect the fur garment. If the coats have to go inside the overhead cabinet or, heaven forbid, under the seat then the fur has a good chance of surviving unscathed.

Oh this fur is nothing like the coats I've sold on ebay. My new custom coat is made from Italian blue fox pelts and are among the rarest in the world. So this coat will be on par with the furs that are sold by Daria and Elsa. And it comes with a matching set of hats and gloves too.

You wont have long to wait. We are about 30 days away form when I finally get to take the coat home. It's been a long 9 months since I first put down the deposit for those skins in January. In fact they have had to extend the workload because the collar did not come out right when the coat was first constructed. It was too flat and I wanted something more plush, so they went back and put on a new collar. I still haven't seen it yet. Probably wont until its time to take it home. But they said the collar is huge this time around.

• 1 month later...

So now that I finally have my custom blue fox in my possession and some of you have been able to see the coat in the "show us your collection" thread, I'd like to renew my conundrum....what do I do about this fur coat when I travel to Alaska? Do I stick with my original instincts and wear it on the plane in my first class seat? do I call the airline company and explain my problem? Do I just stick my fur coat into the belly of the aircraft and hope for the best? I'd like to have a plan in place before heading out to Alaska. This coat is just a little too large to just improvise with on the day I leave.