top two favorite furs

Guest freemetolovefur

On 10/4/2017 at 11:32 AM, Panther10 said:

I bet it doesn't smell too good though....I bet that both River otter and Sea Otter tend to smell like one would think they would smell like, if that makes sense. Like I can just imagine that Otter smells vaguely of wet dog, raw fish, brine and sea water...yuck...not cool

My experience with sea otter fur is that it does not smell bad.  I detect a whiff of jealousy in your post since you have never experienced this fur in person before so you feel the need to denigrate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tu_che_le_vanità said:

My experience with sea otter fur is that it does not smell bad.  I detect a whiff of jealousy in your post since you have never experienced this fur in person before so you feel the need to denigrate it.

Agreed as I've never had any smell from either type of fur. River Otter fur is similar to beaver and nutria when sheared or when left with the guard hairs intact, except River Otter in much heavier and has a much more dense amount of hairs/inch. Sea Otter is much more like Sable, except possibly softer. The guard hairs are left on Sea Otter products as they have very soft guard hairs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, furlvman1 said:

Agreed as I've never had any smell from either type of fur. River Otter fur is similar to beaver and nutria when sheared or when left with the guard hairs intact, except River Otter in much heavier and has a much more dense amount of hairs/inch. Sea Otter is much more like Sable, except possibly softer. The guard hairs are left on Sea Otter products as they have very soft guard hairs.

Yes, sheared river otter is very dense.  Wonderfully soft, too.  Yes, the guard hairs of sea otter are very soft.  I have a pair of sealskin slippers trimmed with sea otter fur that I got last year.  The woman who runs dineegafur.com made them for me.

20210601_080037.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 8:01 PM, Tu_che_le_vanità said:

Chinchilla is an amazingly beautiful fur.  Definitely not ugly,  I know we all have different tastes, but calling chinchilla ugly is too much.

Eh, compared to wolf, lynx , and fox, it just doesn't compare in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 10:07 PM, AH7 said:

1. Wolverine because of it's durability and ruggedness

2. Natural brown beaver because of the shiny guard hairs.

Honorable mention goes to wolf because it looks nice.

On 6/2/2021 at 3:00 AM, Furloverzip said:

Eh, compared to wolf, lynx , and fox, it just doesn't compare in my opinion. 

Add Sable to the list and I agree with you 100% as both the Russian variants of that & Lynx are my favourites.

I've never felt a Chinchilla garment, and maybe that's the deciding factor, but it just doesn't look as exciting as the long-haired Furs mentioned.

I'm complicated. My absolute favorite is a mink coat with a large fox fur collar and maybe cuffs. I'm staring at mine as I write this. Can't get enough of my fa vorite fur coats!

Fur (190).JPG

Fur (259).jpg

That isn’t complicated at all, a big fox collar on a mink is the epitome of sexual attractiveness, a big fox collar on most any coat for that matter 😜

• 11 months later...
On 5/31/2021 at 9:40 PM, furlvman1 said:

That's the nice thing about land otter. Shearing land otter doesn't make much difference in terms of texture because land otter guard hairs are hella short. I actually think land otter is better sheared than natural.