top two favorite furs

Guest freemetolovefur

It is my understanding that sea otter is totally protected.
Additional info regarding sea otter fur:

While sea otter is listed as endangered and has been thriving under protection, the native peoples of Alaska can harvest a limited number of sea otters and make the pelts into products for sale. However such products cannot be brought into the "lower 48" US states except directly from Alaska. Furriers in Alaska cannot obtain sea otter pelts and can only sell items of sea otter if they are native made.

Sea otter jackets and crafts such as pillows or scarves occasionally come up for sale on EBay by Native Americans and are shipped from Alaska. Sea otter guard hair is much softer than river otter. In order for river otter to be soft the coats are usually sheared AND plucked, otherwise river otter is very wirey. Though even when sheared it wears like iron compared to most other furs, sheared or not. Otter is one of the warmest furs you will find with up to a million hairs per square inch or so I have read. That makes sense as the animals are not fat like seals and are in just as cold an environment. Otter coats weigh about the same as persian lamb and a bit less than a thick pelted Saga fox coat.

• Like 1

I bet it doesn't smell too good though....I bet that both River otter and Sea Otter tend to smell like one would think they would smell like, if that makes sense. Like I can just imagine that Otter smells vaguely of wet dog, raw fish, brine and sea water...yuck...not cool

I bet it doesn't smell too good though....
In general the "smell" of a pelt is due to how it was tanned. Some Alaska natives use urine as a tanning agent which leaves a bad smell. Most commercially tanned pelts do not have an offensive odor.

Ugh....who in their right mind would treat a coat in urine?!?!?!? That is so disgusting.....
Agreed, but it is not a garment, but raw pelts. Alaska natives in remote villages have to use what is available as they generally do not have access to any commercial tanners.

I have seen people do that. It is not for luxury. Keep in mind pelts have many uses and some are rustic and old uses.

As for me: Fox, Rabbit

None of the Sea Otter products I have seen had any kind of odor no he do the numous river otter coats I've collected over the years. I did purchase a large alpaca blanket from South America that just smelled terrible though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
In my experience fisher is a great fur, not coarse at all. They say "fisher is poor man's sable" for a reason. And it looks gorgeous on men, which is a big plus:)

Agreed. I love my custom made(not for me) fisher f/l coat. The fur gets longer from top to bottom. The bottom fur is long and lush and the rich brown color is just like sable. A real steal.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

This is difficult for me as I love furs, especially the fluffy and sumptuous ones but if I must choose ALL and then THE REST!!!! 
Seriously,  #1 FOX
                  #2 Mink
Mink for its regal elegance and charming silky caress. I was also introduced into the charming world of fur by mink.

Fox is #1 for Fluff, Attitude, Softness, Variety, Sexiness, Power,  and is so sensually erotic that it drives me wild! 

I even like the fact that they are raised to become furs so no worries about over hunting!

• 1 year later...

1. Wolverine because of it's durability and ruggedness

2. Natural brown beaver because of the shiny guard hairs.

Edited by AH7

• 1 month later...

Fox and lynx by far. Most furs barely compare to the beauty of fox and lynx. Fox is the absolute best as it has a wonderful balance between softness and beauty. Sure, chinchilla is technically softer, but it's so short and ugly. Fox is long, beautiful and feels amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 5:44 PM, Furloverzip said:

Fox and lynx by far. Most furs barely compare to the beauty of fox and lynx. Fox is the absolute best as it has a wonderful balance between softness and beauty. Sure, chinchilla is technically softer, but it's so short and ugly. Fox is long, beautiful and feels amazing.

Chinchilla is an amazingly beautiful fur.  Definitely not ugly,  I know we all have different tastes, but calling chinchilla ugly is too much.