Fur weather?

White Fox

*Temps were in the 50's this afternoon (very windy) ... Down in the 30's tonight. I wore my faux fur jacket while out and about this afternoon and wore my faux fur parka to the theatre this evening.

JG, please forgive my laziness, I am sure you may have disclosed information about your faux furs before, but I don't recall right now. Could you tell us more about them? Suggest an online seller?

Thanks,

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JGalanos

• Worker 11811

• FurLoverinFL

• White Fox

*Temps were in the 50's this afternoon (very windy) ... Down in the 30's tonight. I wore my faux fur jacket while out and about this afternoon and wore my faux fur parka to the theatre this evening.

JG, please forgive my laziness, I am sure you may have disclosed information about your faux furs before, but I don't recall right now. Could you tell us more about them? Suggest an online seller?

Thanks,

And while you're at it JG, how do you accessorise with your faux furs? Do you always wear leather gloves with them? And a scarf? What colors?

And while you're at it JG, how do you accessorise with your faux furs? Do you always wear leather gloves with them? And a scarf? What colors?

In case you have not picked up on it, I tend to be a "fur snob" (whether real or faux fur) -- If the garment is not luxurious, beautiful, and well crafted then I'm not interested. So my faux furs are nice jackets (mistaken for da real thing more than once) and I am comfortable "accessorizing" them and wearing them "nice' places (my faux fur parka has graced several theatres). My parka is faux gray chinchilla, lower hip length, with an oversized hood. It's versatile and I have comfortably worn it in weather from ~50 to ~25 degrees F. The temperature generally dictates how I accessorize. From ~50 to ~35, the parka alone is warm enough. But with temps below that I don't hesitate to add a complimentary scarf (gray or black, wool or cashmere, for the chinchilla) and gloves (black, usually cashmere lined, for the chinchilla). Faux fur has come a long way. 15 years ago you probably would not have caught me in a Chicago theatre on a brisk fall/spring Saturday night in a faux fur.

In case you have not picked up on it, I tend to be a "fur snob" (whether real or faux fur)

May I, then, ask you, sir, if your "snobbery" is only restricted things furry, or are you as picky as you are with furs in other avenues of life?

By the way, if you are into formal suits and other elements of men's fashion that remains classical, and by "you" I don't only mean JG, but all male members of the den, you might like the blog titled "Permanent Style" worth following:

http://permanentstyle.blogspot.com

I am thinking of asking the blog's author what he thinks of fur coats for men.

May I, then, ask you, sir, if your "snobbery" is only restricted things furry, or are you as picky as you are with furs in other avenues of life?

As Churchill stated ... My taste is simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.

I am sure you may have disclosed information about your faux furs before, but I don't recall right now. Could you tell us more about them?

I wore my other faux fur jacket today -- A richly colored faux coyote jacket with oversized wing collar. I held the door for a woman this evening as we both were exiting a restaurant and as she passed me she almost purred "Love your coat".

In my experience, women appreciate quality real and faux furs!

Evenings in NYC: 48F, not 'cold' to me at all. I guess I run hot these days... I was in short sleeves and a big scarf all evening outside and didn't feel the need for something warmer. However.

Vintage rabbit coats abound in Soho on waifish twentysomething girls. I saw a middle aged woman in a full length longhair beaver coat in Hoboken, NJ too. A few faux, and plenty of trim to be found on all the right coats. Fur is definitely back in the fashion zeitgeist. Happy Thanksgiving, folks!

ciaociao

J.

I saw a woman at the symphony Saturday night wearing a gorgeous Finn racoon bolero style jacket. The body of the jacket had been feathered, but the "perfect" (literally) shawl collar was full skin Finn. It was worn by a lovely Asian woman and it fit her perfectly -- Either custom made or they were able to tailor a ready made garment to her silhouette (and she had not gained or lost more than 3 LB since they took the last measurements). Very nice. I wanted to take a picture ... And stroke the collar.

All,

It's far from fur weather here in the UK - quite mild for the time of year but very wet and windy and some flooding in the north. And looks set to continue for some days yet.

Oh well!

Regards,

Mr Mockle

Winter is finally here. Brrr. I will make my seasonal debut in full length fur this weekend (leaning toward coyote) at the symphony. This will be my furst "formal" fur coat wearing of the season ... Although I have strolled along the water a few times in my coats on cold, windy evenings. I can't wait!

No Holiday weekend fur sightings here ... Although I did see a gentleman in a nice 3/4 length shearling coat Sunday.

What about you???

All,

It's far from fur weather here in the UK - quite mild for the time of year but very wet and windy and some flooding in the north. And looks set to continue for some days yet.

Oh well!

Regards,

Mr Mockle

About 10 days ago, I devoted two days to shopping around Knightsbridge, Kensington and Chelsea in London. Only three memorable fur coats, but I still remember them vividly, so I better tell about them.

The most memorable fur incident was a gorgeous lady at Harrods around 5 pm. She was probably from the Caribbean; her hair had been made in a very elaborate braided pattern, and she was wearing spectacular make up, high heels, a super mini skirt, and sexy black pantyhose on her long legs. She had an amazingly vivid red fox jacket on, and she was shopping at the Hermes booth in the Room of Luxury, flirting with the salesclerk mercilessly:) I thought, she must be a supermodel, an actress, a trophy husband hunter (aka gold-digger), or something.

The second incident was a tall and blond lady wearing a very full blue fox jacket on Kings Road. She looked like she was from Scandinavia. It was around noon time, so she was casually dressed for a long day of shopping, jeans tucked into shiny leather boots and a lovely cowlneck sweater. Her blue fox jacket hardly contained any leather strips, the blue fox pieces were wide and fluffy, the collar was generous. Absolutely no yellowing at the blue fox fur; its whites were pure white and the black tips of the guard hairs were sharp, moving back and forth in the breeze gloriously. It was not a very tight jacket with little sweep at the hem, the likes of which we are so familiar from 1980s, but it was not like the shorter fur coats we see at the Italian ebayers (generally with a length of about 100 cm). It was cut shorter, so had a more sporty look, but more generously cut than a jacket at the same time.

The third memorable fur I came across was another red fox jacket worn by an Asian thirtysomething lady.

Normally, at this time of year, I would usually see minks, even sable in these areas, worn by ladies from Russia, Italy, or Germany, but this time, fox, fox, and fox for me!

Winter is finally here. Brrr. I will make my seasonal debut in full length fur this weekend (leaning toward coyote) at the symphony. This will be my furst "formal" fur coat wearing of the season ... I can't wait!

It's snowed the past two days. It's been below freezing for several days now. Brrr. I actually made my full length fur debut last night, wearing my coyote coat to dinner and then later strolling about looking at Christmas displays/lights. I often wear mink in the spring and fall but I only bring out the "bug guns" (like coyote and fox) when it's really cold. Winter has indeed arrived.

I wore my coyote coat shopping this afternoon and to dinner and the symphony this evening. It attracted quite a bit of attention, including:

*College age guy asked me if he could touch my coat (I said yes given that he was polite about it ... So many aren't) and after touching the sleeve he told me the coat put him in mind of a polar bear rug his grandfather owned (which gramps acquired before doing so became an issue).

*Couple at symphony commented on my coat -- She asked what type of fur it was and said she really liked it and he said that it reminded him of a pelt he used for home decor when he lived in Alaska years ago.

*College kids apparently are into fur, as two of them yelled their admiration of my coat from across the street tonight -- "Awesome coat!" (from a dude on one block) and "I really like your coat!" (from a chickadee on another block).

I was in a fairly liberal part of town (university within walking distance) so I was pleasantly surprised to receive such positive feedback. I think the coat rocks ... But it's always good to know that others share your opinion.

It makes me especially happy to learn of such positive reactions from college age people. Guess peta hasn't brainwashed everyone yet!

FLinFL

I've noticed that mid college age is when PETA tends to lose it's grip. In high school kids don't yet think for themselves. They think they do but they don't. By college age they tend to begin to reason things out rather than blindly accepting crap fed to them be it curriculum, every day life, anti fur, etc. Vegan kids begin to eat meat again. etc.

Tend to that is. Though it is rather disheartening how many of them actually begin to get even dumber on that end of things too.

I'm heading east tomorrow evening for a long weekend. Temp is not forecasted to rise above freezing the entire time I'm gone. I'll definitely be packing "heat" (coyote, fisher, and mink) this trip! If it's anything like this past weekend I'll likely spend 4 - 6 hours per day snugly ensconced in lush fur.

Heading for Michigan later today. Just cleared the driveway of one of the heaviest snowfalls I've seen since moving to The Great White North. High tomorrow in the area I'll be in is forecasted to be ~17 F. There are just some days that demand ankle length furs, ya know?

I'll likely be offline for the rest of the week. Ya'll stay warm!

• 5 weeks later...

I've noted weather reports for much of the U.S., Europe, and northern Asia. It looks like fur weather with those freezing temps. I hope that all of you who live in the affected areas are keeping warm in your furs. Ohhh, I wish we had just a bit of this weather in coastal California.

The furs will be out in Southern Florida for the next couple of days! We're expecting temperatures in the low to mid 30sF - YEA!!!!!

FLinFL

Was that low-to-mid 30s supposed to be the low or the high for the day??

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Given that it's been in the 30sF for the high here in the greater Charlotte, NC area for about a week now (maybe a bit longer), but has been below normal temps overall since December. My wife, being a carolina native, is getting tired of being cold everytime she has to go out.

That was the low! Tonight it's expect to get down to 29F - at least if you believe that Weather Channel gadget on my desktop...

FLinFL

...couldn't get out of bed this morning. I was soooooo nice and toasty all cuddled up beneath my furs!