Fur weather?

White Fox

It's been pretty consistently damp, chilly, and windy here for the past week. I've been running around in real or faux fur jackets for much of the past week. Was in Lincoln Park last Saturday and my mink jacket provided much appreciated protection from a cold lake wind. I was not the only one bundled up like it was December -- I spotted a gentleman in a full length camel hair coat and a guy sporting a ski jacket and matching gloves.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JGalanos

• Worker 11811

• FurLoverinFL

• White Fox

Visiting a museum exhibition about an hour north of me tomorrow night. Supposed to be cold so will likely wear my mahogany mink jacket (becoming my favorite fur due to its versatility) there and then on to dinner.

Going to the opera again this weekend (Faust, Worker!). It's supposed to warm up (high in the low 60's) so I'll likely have to compromise in the fur arena. I'll probably wear my ranch mink scarf with my black leather coat -- A touch of luxury anyway!

Here, it is just above freezing with the possibility of frost overnight. By the time the weekend rolls around it will be in the upper 50's or 60's again.

As much as I like the warmer weather because I can still get outdoors and exercise, I just with the weather would make up it's freakin' mind! One or the other!

J.G. - We had Faust last year. This week it's going to be Turandot for me but I'll be delaying the event for another week. I'll record it on DVR and play it back next week.

I think I'm getting old and feeble. I used to be hot natured and would not wear fur (at the time all I had were full length coats) unless it was below 28 degrees (F) because I would get too warm. This season I've been sporting faux fur any time the temp falls below ~52 degrees and real fur (jackets) any time the temp falls below ~42 degrees. It's been very damp and windy here for weeks ... All I can say is "Brrr" and thank goodness for real (and faux) fur.

Visiting a museum exhibition about an hour north of me tomorrow night. Supposed to be cold so will likely wear my mahogany mink jacket (becoming my favorite fur due to its versatility) there and then on to dinner.

Made it to the museum and dinner and was very grateful for my mink jacket -- Temperature was hovering around 34 degrees (F). Brr.

Had another one of those "nice fur ... oops, that's me" experiences at the museum. I somehow managed to walk by a security camera monitor (with the camera somehow focused on me) and having "furdar" noticed a nice mink jacket on the screen. I thought "wow, nice jacket" and stopped to stare at the screen -- And the jacket stopped moving too. It took me about 2 seconds (during which I stroked the hem of my jacket to confirm I wasn't dreamiing) to realize the "nice fur" was mine!

(The museum was cold -- Probably 65 (F) at the most -- So I wore my mink jacket the entire hour and a half I was there -- I rarely wear fur indoors for that length of time so it was indeed nice!)

This "nice fur ... oops, that's me" experience has happened two other times (which I've commented on previously) -- Catching a glimpse of my coyote coat in the mirrors while exiting Marshall Field's in downtown Minneapolis and catching a glimpse of my crystal fox coat in the glass panels while on the down escalator at the Guthrie Theater (also in Minneapolis, where fur in winter should be de rigeur).

I must admit it's kind of a special feeling ... And helps explain why theatergoers and the somewhat jaded customers and staff at Neiman's and Saks stop and stare when I enter the building.

I somehow managed to walk by a security camera monitor (with the camera somehow focused on me) and having "furdar" noticed a nice mink jacket on the screen.

Furdar!...

Chicago is having a heat wave. You'd think it was early September versus early November. I promised myself I would wear something furry to every opera this season .. Looks like the mink scarf will indeed be it this evening. With a forecasted low of ~49 anything else will likely be too warm.

Whine ...

Another drawback with the weather is that I was planning to pick up my full length furs today. I'm going to be out and about all afternoon/evening and do not like the idea of them "baking" in the car so I will have to wait for another opportunity to pick up my furs.

The weather is dicey rain. Sufficiently cold enough for fur but wet.

Wish I could have had my Kid Fox lined Yellow Slicker made. It's perfect for that kind of fur.

Sleeping under fur though

OFF

It was a nice weekend (despite my full length furs extending their vault vacations) ... Walked in the park in just my long sleeved shirt ... Wore my ranch mink scarf and black leather jacket to the opera (Faust was awesome). Despite the warm temperature (around 62 F when the performance started) I saw a woman wearing a 3/4 length red fox jacket, a woman wearing a full length raccoon coat, and a woman wearing a smart looking 7/8 length long hair shearling coat. Chicago women do love their furs.

I did some more fur shopping this weekend. Neiman-Marcus had a fur clearance and I could not resist checking out the goods. There were a couple hundred furs available and some of them were incredible. I was wowed by a couple of exquisite high end minks and an unbelievable Russian sable coat. The sable was spectacular -- It had an immense cape collar and the fur had lots of silvery guard hairs in it (which I've always heard is a hallmark of top quality sable).

There was an interesting (non-clearance) mink on a mannequin at Neiman's. I had never seen anything quite like it. It was a hooded full length white mink with stenciling below the waist on both sides of the coat, a self fabric belt with a "buckle" outlined with what appeared to be Swarovski crystals, and Canadian lynx trimming the collar and the hood.

There were also some fantastic Christ shearling coats on display. My favorite was a 3/4 length hooded jacket with long haired shearling trimming the cuffs and front of the jacket and lining the hood. Really marvelous. Restored my faith in shearling.

All in all, another successful furry weekend (even with moi mostly sans fur)! It's supposed to cool down again, so I'll likely be sporting a mink jacket (or perhaps a mink coat!) at the theater Saturday night.

Hey, Don.

If fur weather doesn't come soon enough, you might be able to take a drive up to Asheville, NC and partake of the cooler weather.

It's only about 4 hours driving from Atlanta to Asheville. Just take I-85 to Spartainsburg then turn off to I-26 and head on into Asheville.

As you probably know, Asheville is the home of Biltmore Estate, one of the swankiest private mansions in the world. The whole town is a tourist destination around Christmas and New Year's Eve. If there is any place to get some fur action in the southeast USA, Biltmore ought to be in the top five. Don't you think?

From what I hear, Atlanta also has a decent fur scene as well. Doesn't it?

The jeweler where I buy things for my wife is from Atlanta. He told me Atlanta is big on fur during the winter.

I visited the Fayetteville, GA area several times but I never really got a chance to spend any quality time in Atlanta. Only one short afternoon when I got to go to the Coca Cola museum. It was fun but there wasn't much fur there.

Maybe someday I'll get to go back down South for a visit...

Hey Worker 11811-

Asheville is a great place, but it may not be a great fur town, its probably better to wait for the temps in Atlanta to bring out the furs, hopefully it will happen soon!!

I got married at Biltmore. It was in January when there was still snow on the ground. I know that there was fur at Biltmore at least ONE day out of that year!

I got married at Biltmore. It was in January when there was still snow on the ground.

Sounds nice. I was there in (I think it was) May and the weather was great -- High was probably around 78. Perfect spring/summer temp for me. I start wilting at around 85.

Speaking of weather, things have returned to normal around here. ~45 degrees out with low of 28 forecasted. About to head out for dinner and then a stroll in my mahogany mink jacket. It will likely accompany me to the theatre Satuday night as well.

...and it's still unbelievably warm in South Florida. Oh well, maybe we'll have some chill in the air soon. At least my furs are finally home.

FLinFL

Crystal Mt. ski slopes are already open and it's snowing like Alaska in the mountains now

It's in the 30's at night routinely now which makes sleeping under my Fox spread a real treat

OFF

I had another "furry Saturday".

*Temps were in the 50's this afternoon (very windy) ... Down in the 30's tonight. I wore my faux fur jacket while out and about this afternoon and wore my faux fur parka to the theatre this evening.

*I picked up my fur coats today. I did not realize that there was a trunk show at my furrier's this weekend. I met a well known designer and happily tried on several of his pieces. I asked some questions re: shearlings in particular and got educated. I'm much better prepared to design that dream shearling coat now. As an aside, when he saw my furs he simply stared and said "Nice".

*This has been my furriest fall ever. On the way home from the theatre I tallied that I've already worn my real and faux fur jackets over 60 times ... Everywhere from Walmart, McDonalds, and gas stations to Neiman Marcus, the Opera, and the theatre. If the forecast holds I plan to make my seasonal debut in full length fur Monday night.

when he saw my furs he simply stared and said "Nice".

Just a word of encouragement to fellow Denizens ...

I would never have asked an internationally renown designer his opinion of my furs. It was simply a case of right place, right time. I knew he was coming to town, I just did not realize it was this weekend. I picked up my furs during a lull in business and he looked up and after examining them from 8 paces simply said "nice" - To himself (I just happened to be within earshot). I might have dismissed the comment (thnking I misunderstood him or whatever) but when the clerk brought out the paperwork listing all my furs (that had been in storage) he actually walked over and (blatantly) perused the list. So I had a Sally Field moment (He likes them, he really likes them!). Maybe I should have asked him for a job?

So ... If you have a passion for something (I personally get a kick out of both wearing and designing luxurious furs) don't be afraid to put yourself out there on occasion. Maybe ask a published author their thoughts of your favorite piece of writing (I think we have a few aspiring writers here), the owner of a highly recommended bodyshop what he thinks of your restoration of a classic car, etc. You could be pleasantly surprised by their response.