• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JGalanos

• Worker 11811

• FurLoverinFL

• White Fox

Up till now, the weather in this neck of the woods has been cool and rainy this summer.

Average temperatures for this time of year are 60º to 80º (F) but we have had nights as low as 50º. It hardly got above 70º until the end of June.

We have had 17 heating degree days in the month of July whereas the average is 7 COOLING degree days.

Month-to-date precipitation is over 5 inches where our monthly average is just under 3.

I figure, if we're going to have to have summer, we might as well have it hot. Right?

This cold-rainy $#!+ is starting to get me down!

Chilly - and windy - here again. Just returned from a stroll in my faux fur bomber jacket. Faux fur in chilly summer weather might strike some as a tad "too much" ... but I find my faux fur jackets perfect warm ups in cooler weather. I still can't believe I picked up this great jacket for 65% off this past winter ... I do love a bargain!

Today and tomorrow it's suppose to be over 100 and with it already 82 at 9:30AM I'm sure it will make it

Heat being driven up from California and Nevada. This will break the records. The night temp record has already been broken.

Normal for this time of year is 75 in the daytime and 50 at night. The low last night was 75. Oh well .. isn't as bad as when I was in college at Univ. of Cincinnati in the summer. Nights were often near 90 degrees with 90% humidity.

The Announcer on the Portland station I'm listening to is telling how to cook cookies on the dashboard of your car

I didn't come here for this!!!

OFF

As painful as it is to have to wait to don one's fur, do not forget that you have the option of storing it to preserve its beauty and, when the time comes, wear it with that much more appreciation.

I'm not much of a risk taker (if you discount the first time I strolled Michigan Avenue in my gargantuan crystal fox coat!), so I have always followed this recommendation and cleaned/stored my furs annually. I consider my soon to be decade old and still unbelievably beautiful silver fox coat "proof" that proper care adds longevity to fine furs.

Normal for this time of year is 75 in the daytime and 50 at night.

Heard Seattle set an all time record high this week of 102 F.

Personally, I just returned from another evening stroll in luxe faux fur ... So I'm having a little trouble relating.

Some places in Western Washington were up to105 with lows higher than the normal high. Like 75 at night.

Fortunately it's suppose to drop down to 60 tonight Normal is 55.

Lots of records broken.

I hate hot weather

OFF

It's been far too warm down here for July as well (although we are an island paradise).

Surely someone out there must be experiencing some fur wearing weather.

Will August make it 12 consecutive months?

The answer is yes!

Apparently one of the (few) benefits of living this close to the Artic Circle (says this former Southern Boy) is the opportunity to wear fur in some shape, form, or fashion year round.

As one who lives at 61 degrees North latitude, I would hardly consider the US upper Midwest as

.... this close to the Artic Circle ....
The Arctic Circle is at 66.56 degrees North latitude. Chicago is about 41.87 degrees North latitude.

Even so, Congratulations on achieving such a furry milestone. " title="Applause" />

Speaking of fur weather ...

I'll be in Toronto and Niagara Falls the last weekend of September. What kind of weather should I expect? Debating whether to pull a jacket out of storage early and take it with me ... Or just "go faux it".

We must be getting your weather O.F.F.!

Just last night a thunder storm rolled in. We've been on the back side of the front all day.

It's been 80º - 90º and 80% - 90% humidity!

I had to go out and mow the lawn today. By the time I was done I could practically wring out my T-shirt!

We finally got a big break a week ago. Back down to our normal 70's in the day and 50 or so at night.

What a relief

Even slept under my Fox spread a couple of nights.

OFF

JG

Niagara and TO as we call it up here are both more or less surrounded by big water. The Great lakes. But this time of year it can get real hot up here. You might check the weather before hand, but it is likely to be in the mid to high 80's this time of year, and might cool down a bit by night, but most likely still in the mid to upper 60's. On top of that though, add very high humidity very often from the water surrounding those spots to make it feel hotter than it is. I don't think of temps in degrees F any more, so may be off a bit but won't be too much. The question will very likely be more a case of "How do I get to Air Conditioning to get out of this heat?"

W

Not very encouraging, WF.

Any furriers in the area you would recommend? Last time I was in Toronto I checked out some furriers in the Spadina Avenue area. Sorta hit n miss. Couple of nice shops and a few duds. I did not venture to any suburban locations.

No furriers in Niagara. As for TO, Spadina is your best bet. The big one used to be Paul Magder Furs, but then they went broke. They did come back, but I have not been there for a long while as I live almost a 600 km round trip away from there. There was one on Younge Street that I remember was good the last time I was in, but that was probably 20 years ago. "Robert" maybe?

As for Niagara, make sure you see it from the Canadian side. There is a bit of interesting stuff on the American side, but the view is nothing like it is across the border. And if you are driving from Niagara, to Toronto, have a look at the park at Stoney Creek called Battlefield House. Museum, and old war of 1812 memorial tower there.

If you have time, on the US side of Niagara, there is a town called Tonawanda. (Not sure of spelling.) There is a fantastic carousel museum there if you like that sort of thing. As for Niagara itself, the two big "Don't miss" tourist type things are the "Main of the Mist", and the Niagara Imax film. (There are other films, so make sure you see the Imax.) The film is fantastic but you also see the "Devices" that many people used to go over the falls. Also, down river, the "don't miss" thing is a jet boat ride through the rapids. They overstress the "danger thing" just to make people buy tickets. Don't let that turn you off. Well worth the ride even though it is expensive.

Re Toronto, for tourist stuff, there are a number of great museums there. Including some small ones relatively "down town". Casa Loma isn't bad, and some neat stuff in the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) now, but some smaller ones are just as good if not better in my opinion. If you use the subway, make sure you sit in the front car in the front seat at least once. (You might have to miss one train to see where the front car stops.)

W

I have not been there for a long while as I live almost a 600 km round trip away from there.

You make it sound like traveling to the far side of the moon.

Thanks for the tips. I was planning on Casa Loma, ROM, and AGO. Last time I was there CL was over run by school children and ROM/AGO were both under construction.

• 1 month later...

JG

Weather here is kind of making me a look like I am lying. Here this week the temps at night have dropped like a stone, and probably you are in Niagara about now. I can imagine just how cold it would be up on the towers tonight!

Hope you had a great trip anyhow!

W

JG

Weather here is kind of making me a look like I am lying. Here this week the temps at night have dropped like a stone, and probably you are in Niagara about now. I can imagine just how cold it would be up on the towers tonight!

Hope you had a great trip anyhow!

Had a nice trip. I checked weather.com before I left and optimistically took my favorite faux fur jacket with me. The first day was kinda warm but the second day the temperature dropped, it rained a bit, the wind picked up ... and brrr. I wore my jacket to the theater Saturday night and was snuggily warm.

That Sunday I spotted a woman in Holt Renfrew sporting a form fitting sheared fur jacket with a large fox shawl collar.

It's chilly here in the upper Midwest now. Last week I wore my jacket to a furrier and the owner smiled when he saw me and asked if I was wearing my "pre-fur". I wore my jacket Saturday to the symphony and an art gallery. While in the gallery I overheard a woman whisper to her husband as she glanced my way "They should make more furs for men!". I smiled and silently agreed with her ("Amen, Sister!").

I'll be wearing ranch mink when I attend the opera this weekend. I furmally declare Fur Season '09 open!